sophomore looking for advice on how to START studying LSAT

philly93

sophomore looking for advice on how to START studying LSAT

Postby philly93 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:54 pm

i am currently a sophomore but i really want to start preparing for the LSAT. I have looked over the sticked posts and seen the recommended books but i was wondering which one of those should i start first? i already know my weakest section would be logic games/ so should i look into getting practice in that? also what prep book is a real good introduction in the reasoning skills required for the LSAT?

rad lulz

Re: sophomore looking for advice on how to START studying LSAT

Postby rad lulz » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:59 pm

Go have fun dude

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:28 pm

rad lulz wrote:Go have fun dude

For real. You have 18 months until the June administration following your junior year. And even if you wanted to start way early and be able to take February, June, AND October the year you're applying, you still have 13 months. You'll burn yourself out by then.

.. but if you must (or rather, for people reading this thread looking for similar advice who actually should start studying right now), I personally think beginning with the PS LGB is a good idea.

boblawlob

Postby boblawlob » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:34 pm

Take a free timed practice test offered by any prep companies out there. Done? That's your diagnostic.

Are you the typical go-getter or you are totally lazy and have money to throw away?

If the former, read the PS bible to better understand what the test is about to familiarize yourself. Do some practice drilling, namely the Cambridge packets. Take actual PTs, but very sparingly because you want to save them all for the real test (prob max 4 PTs from the old ones to mid 2000s). Spread this out though. Do something like 5 LR questions a day routine once you finish sophomore year.

If the latter, take a prep course this summer to familiarize yourself with the LSAT. Light studying because you don't want to burn out before actually getting down and analyzing details. But familiarity with the LSAT is very important. Yet again, you're just a sophomore so no need to push it completely.

Right now though, it is most important that you keep up your reading speed and comprehension level. Go read those academic journals that are found at your university's library. I'm not sure if Foreign Affairs articles pop up on the LSAT, but Foreign Affairs is probably the most interesting despite being more of a semi-magazine. People say to read the Economist, but I got burnt out by reading the Economist namely because I tried to read it from cover to cover (don't do this...I was and still am an idiot for doing that). Others also suggest Scientific American. The key is variety and so read a variety of these magazines/journals by picking out a few articles from each (go for more argumentative articles rather than news articles and find ones that are more in line with LSAT subjects i.e. humanities, law, science).

If you already start on the reading alone and follow true to reading daily, you will have already set yourself up for success in law school.

The best time though to start LSAT prep if you want to be K-JD is your junior year, NOT summer before senior year. I made the mistake of expecting that taking an LSAT summer course prior to senior year (never fully aware of TLS) would lead me to a high score and I'm paying the price for it dearly. Others may be different though and this could be entirely bad advice, but this is what I have witnessed on a first hand basis.

If you do this and then dedicate yourself 110% to studying for the LSAT when the time comes, chances are pretty high that you'll score high 160s at the least.

Cliff notes:
Read a lot now.
Start lite-LSAT prep at the latest the start of junior year (i.e Read the Bibles and familiarize yourself with concepts).
Kick start full hardcore studying in February (if for June test) or June/July (if for Oct test).

Best of luck.

[edit] PS Bibles and Manhattan LSAT books are interchangeable. But MLSAT streamlines your approach more to be more efficient (source: People telling me my approach was actually MLSAT approach despite owning yet never fully reading MLSAT LR guide).

cc.celina

Postby cc.celina » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:10 pm

rad lulz wrote:Go have fun dude

This.

But if you're really gung ho about it, consider taking the LSAT early, probably June or Oct after your sophomore year. The most efficient way to study is to start with the Powerscore bibles and then just take as many PTs as possible, but you don't want to spread this out TOO long or you'll lose the ability to recognize similar questions and games to ones you've taken in the recent past. Aim for next June, and if you're not ready by June then take it in October. That gives you plenty of time to retake if you need to, and if you're planning on applying within the next 5 years your score will still be good.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:23 pm

screw that. There are very good guides on TLS that are an excellent tool. Start with those and see how you do. If you need more help, then buy the books. After you read them, if your PTs are still too low, get a tutor

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:37 pm

I would kill to be back as a sophomore in college, live your life.

Worst case scenario... you take a year off after undergrad.

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:47 pm

philly93 wrote:i am currently a sophomore but i really want to start preparing for the LSAT. I have looked over the sticked posts and seen the recommended books but i was wondering which one of those should i start first? i already know my weakest section would be logic games/ so should i look into getting practice in that? also what prep book is a real good introduction in the reasoning skills required for the LSAT?

don't let anyone tell you otherwise, but it is NEVER TOO EARLY to start looking at the lsat.
I wish I started back where you are right now. But now I am T-minus 5 months to the LSAT and wish i was back where you are at.

Start with something easy, perhaps logic games for dummies. Or just start with the bibles and take them slowly.
take your time on each section.

But before anything, definitely take a diagnostics.

philly93

Postby philly93 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:23 pm

thanks for the replies. i've read on the boards the difference between the bible and manhattan study guides in terms of their approach; it seems that the bible is much more mechanical in approach and that the manhattan guide is much more flexible. i was wondering as a person who has NEVER been exposed to ANY KIND of lsat, what would be a good start? i have also never taken a class for formal logic or anything lol. the only "law" related class i have taken is comm law.

cc.celina

Postby cc.celina » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:26 pm

philly93 wrote:thanks for the replies. i've read on the boards the difference between the bible and manhattan study guides in terms of their approach; it seems that the bible is much more mechanical in approach and that the manhattan guide is much more flexible. i was wondering as a person who has NEVER been exposed to ANY KIND of lsat, what would be a good start? i have also never taken a class for formal logic or anything lol. the only "law" related class i have taken is comm law.

I mean, unless you're really pressed for cash, try both. You aren't strapped for time or anything. Just try both out and see what you're more comfortable with, and take the methods that work for you and run with them. If you really can't afford it, spend a few hours in a Barnes and Noble reading through them to get a feel for which one works for you. I don't think one is objectively better than the other, and people with vouch for both; it's about what clicks for you.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:48 am

philly93 wrote:thanks for the replies. i've read on the boards the difference between the bible and manhattan study guides in terms of their approach; it seems that the bible is much more mechanical in approach and that the manhattan guide is much more flexible. i was wondering as a person who has NEVER been exposed to ANY KIND of lsat, what would be a good start? i have also never taken a class for formal logic or anything lol. the only "law" related class i have taken is comm law.

The very first thing I'd recommend you before picking up any prep material is taking a cold diagnostic. Others disagree, but I've personally liked having it as a way of seeing my progress. I'd recommend printing the free test available on the LSAC website.

d0rklord

Postby d0rklord » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:15 pm

Most importantly: KEEP DAT GPA UP!!!

Postby 03152016 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:18 pm

Last edited by 03152016 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

d0rklord

Postby d0rklord » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:54 pm

Max324 wrote:
d0rklord wrote:Most importantly: KEEP DAT GPA UP!!!

Yeah, seriously. OP, if LSAT prep is going to interfere with coursework, fahgettaboudit. You can always prep during summers or after you graduate. What I wouldn't give to go back to Sophomore year and actually give a shit.

Amen to that man, amen to that...

Or at least go back to sophomore year and know I wanted to go to grad school... :(

naillsat

Postby naillsat » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:20 pm

d0rklord wrote:
Max324 wrote:
d0rklord wrote:Most importantly: KEEP DAT GPA UP!!!

Yeah, seriously. OP, if LSAT prep is going to interfere with coursework, fahgettaboudit. You can always prep during summers or after you graduate. What I wouldn't give to go back to Sophomore year and actually give a shit.

Amen to that man, amen to that...

Or at least go back to sophomore year and know I wanted to go to grad school... :(

regret going to law school or where you are today?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”