Background in logic/philosophy necessary

cause8191

Background in logic/philosophy necessary

Postby cause8191 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:35 pm

I have no background in either, although last year I did read some of Walton's books and recently skimmed through some logic books from the library. I have been having terrible times in my short three weeks of prepping trying to sort through information, sub-analyze it, and intuitively find holes in the arguments. Like most everything I do, I am overthinking this and I just realized this. My strategy now is to find patterns in the stimuli and answer choices, without reading them three times through with no solid understanding. Is it possible to have success in LR (I am talking no more than -5 on both sections) without any prior knowledge of logic/philosophy?

boblawlob

Re: Background in logic/philosophy necessary

Postby boblawlob » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:36 pm

Yes.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:37 pm

Yep. Never took a logic or philosophy class in my life (or even read any books).

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:38 pm

cause8191 wrote:I have no background in either, although last year I did read some of Walton's books and recently skimmed through some logic books from the library. I have been having terrible times in my short three weeks of prepping trying to sort through information, sub-analyze it, and intuitively find holes in the arguments. Like most everything I do, I am overthinking this and I just realized this. My strategy now is to find patterns in the stimuli and answer choices, without reading them three times through with no solid understanding. Is it possible to have success in LR (I am talking no more than -5 on both sections) without any prior knowledge of logic/philosophy?

Philosophy is totally unnecessary. You have to understand logic though, but you gotta be pretty stupid to not understand basic logic.

My strategy now is to find patterns in the stimuli and answer choices, without reading them three times through with no solid understanding.

What the fuck are you talking about? Just read the fucking question, it asks a straight forward question, then you answer it.

hichvichwoh

Postby hichvichwoh » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:56 pm

Desert Fox wrote:What the fuck are you talking about? Just read the fucking question, it asks a straight forward question, then you answer it.

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:00 pm

cause8191 wrote:I have no background in either, although last year I did read some of Walton's books and recently skimmed through some logic books from the library. I have been having terrible times in my short three weeks of prepping trying to sort through information, sub-analyze it, and intuitively find holes in the arguments. Like most everything I do, I am overthinking this and I just realized this. My strategy now is to find patterns in the stimuli and answer choices, without reading them three times through with no solid understanding. Is it possible to have success in LR (I am talking no more than -5 on both sections) without any prior knowledge of logic/philosophy?

They can and often do help, but by no means are they necessary.

jselson

Postby jselson » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:28 am

Knowing the major logical fallacies seems to be the best thing - look for charts online, there are a ton of them available, and most you've probably already heard of. Identifying term shifts as you read a passage helps, too, just takes some practice.

And I only have to use formal logic abstractions (ie., A is B if not C, like in the cat/dog/fish question) on 1-2 questions on average per test, so the logical fallacies are really what matters for LR.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”