My LSAT Journey Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
40InchVert

New

My LSAT Journey

Post by 40InchVert » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:45 pm

Hey guys, I hope everyone is enjoying their holidays and congratulations to everyone would got what they wanted on the December LSAT (don't give up if you didn't!). I just wanted to take the time to share my story and hopefully provide some encouragement to those who feel like giving up (I sure did).

I was probably in grade 10 when I decided I wanted to pursue a career as a lawyer, however, I have always been more of a numbers guy. Math came much more natural to me than reading/writing/English literature etc..you get the idea. So when I decided to prepare for the LSATs, I quickly realized how poor my reading comprehension and analytical skills were. The only section that I didn't mind was LG because of its similarities with math and how you have to juggle multiple variables at once. I began studying during the summer of my third year in University while working 9-5. After 2 months, I realized I wouldn't prepared enough for the upcoming October 2011 LSATs and decided to put the books down. Fast forwarding to the summer of 2012, I was 100% committed to studying the LSAT upon coming back from my vacation in the middle of June. I spent the next 2.5-3 months eating, sleeping and basically dreaming the LSATs (sad but I knew the LSAT could make or break my application so I decided it was something that had to be done).

A few weeks before the October 2012 LSATs, I was PTing at about 164-167 and this was a score I would have been content with. I walked into the test feeling confident but at the same time jittery/nervous (perhaps because of some of the other test-takers stressing out). *Note to first time writers: I can honestly tell you the LSAT atmosphere is no different than your average exam. The most nerve racking part was while signing in, just because you could actually hear other test-takers. Once the proctor tells you to begin writing, it feels no different than a PT (given that you do your PT timed properly). Anyways, I walked out of the test feeling decent, but I knew I messed up my strongest section a bit. About a month later and my score came back as 159 :cry: :cry:. The moment I saw the e-mail, my heart sank. All I could think of was that I gave it my all and was still not able to achieve my desired score. I couldn't believe it. For the next week or so, I decided to remove myself from the LSAT completely and relax. This week off helped me relax my mind from all the negative thoughts and gather myself to register for the LSAT one more time. For the next month, I juggled school, LSAT and law applications until December 1, 2012. As many of you know, the score was returned to us a few days ago and I scored a 169. This was way higher than I excepted and definitely higher than what I originally aimed for.

This little story is by no means me bragging about my score but rather something I wanted to share with those who feel discouraged along the way. There are going to be many days where you feel like giving up and where you don't know if you are capable of scoring well. I truly believe that if you put in the time and study smart, this test is very beatable. I'm running a little late for dinner so I may have left some details out or have some spelling/grammar mistakes so excuse me.

Let me know if you have any questions! I would be more than happy to answer. :D

sinfiery

Gold

Re: My LSAT Journey

Post by sinfiery » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:47 pm

ruaware

curious66

Bronze

Post by curious66 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:49 pm

40InchVert wrote:Hey guys, I hope everyone is enjoying their holidays and congratulations to everyone would got what they wanted on the December LSAT (don't give up if you didn't!). I just wanted to take the time to share my story and hopefully provide some encouragement to those who feel like giving up (I sure did).

I was probably in grade 10 when I decided I wanted to pursue a career as a lawyer, however, I have always been more of a numbers guy. Math came much more natural to me than reading/writing/English literature etc..you get the idea. So when I decided to prepare for the LSATs, I quickly realized how poor my reading comprehension and analytical skills were. The only section that I didn't mind was LG because of its similarities with math and how you have to juggle multiple variables at once. I began studying during the summer of my third year in University while working 9-5. After 2 months, I realized I wouldn't prepared enough for the upcoming October 2011 LSATs and decided to put the books down. Fast forwarding to the summer of 2012, I was 100% committed to studying the LSAT upon coming back from my vacation in the middle of June. I spent the next 2.5-3 months eating, sleeping and basically dreaming the LSATs (sad but I knew the LSAT could make or break my application so I decided it was something that had to be done).

A few weeks before the October 2012 LSATs, I was PTing at about 164-167 and this was a score I would have been content with. I walked into the test feeling confident but at the same time jittery/nervous (perhaps because of some of the other test-takers stressing out). *Note to first time writers: I can honestly tell you the LSAT atmosphere is no different than your average exam. The most nerve racking part was while signing in, just because you could actually hear other test-takers. Once the proctor tells you to begin writing, it feels no different than a PT (given that you do your PT timed properly). Anyways, I walked out of the test feeling decent, but I knew I messed up my strongest section a bit. About a month later and my score came back as 159 :cry: :cry:. The moment I saw the e-mail, my heart sank. All I could think of was that I gave it my all and was still not able to achieve my desired score. I couldn't believe it. For the next week or so, I decided to remove myself from the LSAT completely and relax. This week off helped me relax my mind from all the negative thoughts and gather myself to register for the LSAT one more time. For the next month, I juggled school, LSAT and law applications until December 1, 2012. As many of you know, the score was returned to us a few days ago and I scored a 169. This was way higher than I excepted and definitely higher than what I originally aimed for.

This little story is by no means me bragging about my score but rather something I wanted to share with those who feel discouraged along the way. There are going to be many days where you feel like giving up and where you don't know if you are capable of scoring well. I truly believe that if you put in the time and study smart, this test is very beatable. I'm running a little late for dinner so I may have left some details out or have some spelling/grammar mistakes so excuse me.

Congratulations! Great story. Good luck to you.

andy2012

New

Post by andy2012 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:54 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by andy2012 on Wed May 11, 2016 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

40InchVert

New

Post by 40InchVert » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:20 pm

andy2012 wrote:Thank you for sharing this great story and congratulations on your new score! Good luck in the future.

What was your very first diagnostic test score? Did you take any prep classes or did you do self study only? Do you think December is the best time to do testing because the curve is easier? I'm new to this site so I have some beginner level questions. Thank you.
I actually did not attempt a diagnostic but judging from the score of my very first timed PT after completing the Bibles, it could not have been higher than a 160. I am more of a self learner so I just studied on my own. It's hard to say if December is the best time to take it but this time around definitely felt easier. I actually had a few minutes to spare in every section, something that rarely happens for me in the RC section.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dog

Bronze

Post by Dog » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:00 am

sinfiery wrote:ruaware
Dat teeth whitening guide, strong everything.

griffin.811

Bronze

Post by griffin.811 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:23 am

40InchVert wrote:Hey guys, I hope everyone is enjoying their holidays and congratulations to everyone would got what they wanted on the December LSAT (don't give up if you didn't!). I just wanted to take the time to share my story and hopefully provide some encouragement to those who feel like giving up (I sure did).

First, congrats on the score! Next, what was your method for LR practice? How did you drill? I seem to be stuck at a consistent -6 on each section.

uvabro

Bronze

Post by uvabro » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:24 am

get a life brah.

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:33 am

uvabro wrote:get a life brah.
#irony

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

solotee

Bronze

Post by solotee » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:46 pm

I mimic everything OP said. I took the LSAT four years ago and am about to graduate law school, but I still remember what helped me leading up to the exam.

My diagnostic was 147. I also studied 2-3 months self-study. But leading up to the exam, I took the last few days off or did very light studying. You don't forget anything, you just let your brain rest so that you come into the exam refreshed and sharp.

40InchVert

New

Post by 40InchVert » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

griffin.811 wrote:

First, congrats on the score! Next, what was your method for LR practice? How did you drill? I seem to be stuck at a consistent -6 on each section.
I actually grouped the questions on a few PT together according to the question type (e.g. flaw, strengthen, sufficient, necessary). I remember I use to read forums/blog that talked about finding that pattern of reasoning within the LR section but I had no idea what they were talking about it. After drilling the section with the method I just described, I started noticing very similar forms of reasoning and that really helped me with my timing. I think the key is to be able to switch gears throughout the test and understand that not every single question will come to you easy. By speeding through the ones that jump out at you quickly, you will have ample time to complete the harder ones. I guess this goes for RC too since not all passages are created equally.

40InchVert

New

Post by 40InchVert » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:56 pm

solotee wrote:I mimic everything OP said. I took the LSAT four years ago and am about to graduate law school, but I still remember what helped me leading up to the exam.

My diagnostic was 147. I also studied 2-3 months self-study. But leading up to the exam, I took the last few days off or did very light studying. You don't forget anything, you just let your brain rest so that you come into the exam refreshed and sharp.

Congrats! I agree completely, the second time around I did very light studying as well. Having a rested and fresh mind is essential.

griffin.811

Bronze

Post by griffin.811 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:24 pm

40InchVert wrote:
griffin.811 wrote:

I actually grouped the questions on a few PT together according to the question type (e.g. flaw, strengthen, sufficient, necessary). I remember I use to read forums/blog that talked about finding that pattern of reasoning within the LR section but I had no idea what they were talking about it. After drilling the section with the method I just described, I started noticing very similar forms of reasoning and that really helped me with my timing. I think the key is to be able to switch gears throughout the test and understand that not every single question will come to you easy. By speeding through the ones that jump out at you quickly, you will have ample time to complete the harder ones. I guess this goes for RC too since not all passages are created equally.
Thanks, starting to see improvement after drilling this for about week. Still have a long way to go.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”