General question: I am 24yo.... NO SPAM [UPDATE] Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
sinfiery

Gold

Re: General question: I am 24yo.... NO SPAM

Post by sinfiery » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:33 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
But my main ire is directed at people who take the same gifs ripped from what should we call me and post them over and over and over again.
Tis all good. I agree anyway, rehashed gifs aren't real content.

boblawlob

Silver

Post by boblawlob » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:34 pm

Will_Imake_it wrote:One question:

After, I am able to forget this episode in my life and start again, How do I prep for the test If i have used most of the pts in the past, most meaning (pts 52-67) and maybe some earlier ones from 29-38.. What should I do this time around? Any links to old posts to answer this question would be appreciated.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=195603

Prep for June/Oct

Take your time with PTs by spreading them out early on in your prep and by reviewing thoroughly.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:34 pm

sinfiery wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
But my main ire is directed at people who take the same gifs ripped from what should we call me and post them over and over and over again.
Tis all good. I agree anyway, gifs aren't real content.
No holding me to my comment was TCR. When I was posting that one, I was just trying to be shokcing by showing a real person die. But it wasn't witty nor funny.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:35 pm

Let's face it. You can't find a decent wife if you are looking for a girl in her late twenties. Some of the late twenties single girls may be great at some of the more banal skills in life, but not wife material. Let's not make this thread about hating women. They can make their own educated choices. The facts is, none of it really matters because you can just go to law school, be a baller, and marry a younger girl that is wife material. Lot's of good girls like older guys, and if you are embarrassed about being 28 and dating a 19 year old, just take her to Golden Corral three times a week for 6 months and none of your friends would know the difference by looking at her. And regarding law school, you said you didn't get a 170 but I wouldn't sweat it. If you got a 168 or 169 and have a 3.9+ GPA you will still get into a good school.

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:37 pm

I took the LSAT three times. I got the score I wanted to get into the school I wanted to with a half scholly the third time. I scored a 157, a 151, and a 164, respectively.

Something went wrong. Figure out what that was, and apply yourself to adjusting it. You can't let yourself get caught up and burnt out. If you really want to be a lawyer, then be a lawyer. If that takes you three times at the LSAT, than it takes you three times, and fuck what everyone else thinks.
Last edited by Scotusnerd on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:39 pm

Tom Joad wrote:Let's face it. You can't find a decent wife if you are looking for a girl in her late twenties. Some of the late twenties single girls may be great at some of the more banal skills in life, but not wife material. Let's not make this thread about hating women. They can make their own educated choices. The facts is, none of it really matters because you can just go to law school, be a baller, and marry a younger girl that is wife material. Lot's of good girls like older guys, and if you are embarrassed about being 28 and dating a 19 year old, just take her to Golden Corral three times a week for 6 months and none of your friends would know the difference by looking at her. And regarding law school, you said you didn't get a 170 but I wouldn't sweat it. If you got a 168 or 169 and have a 3.9+ GPA you will still get into a good school.
This isn't med school bro.

boblawlob

Silver

Post by boblawlob » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:41 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:Let's face it. You can't find a decent wife if you are looking for a girl in her late twenties. Some of the late twenties single girls may be great at some of the more banal skills in life, but not wife material. Let's not make this thread about hating women. They can make their own educated choices. The facts is, none of it really matters because you can just go to law school, be a baller, and marry a younger girl that is wife material. Lot's of good girls like older guys, and if you are embarrassed about being 28 and dating a 19 year old, just take her to Golden Corral three times a week for 6 months and none of your friends would know the difference by looking at her. And regarding law school, you said you didn't get a 170 but I wouldn't sweat it. If you got a 168 or 169 and have a 3.9+ GPA you will still get into a good school.
Girl's don't have to know that. Shhhh

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:42 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
I assumed he was good looking by his writing style.
--ImageRemoved--

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:42 pm

boblawlob wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Pakistanis won't value law school. They aren't SEC Whores.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:11 pm

boblawlob wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:I bumped my lsat frome 166 to 176 by sitting out a year and retaking. Went from Notre Dame with 9k per year to NYU with almost a half ride. You are so young dude. there's no reason to freak out now.
Out of curiosity, how many times did you take the LSAT?

Harry Potter

New

Post by Harry Potter » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:17 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
boblawlob wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Pakistanis won't value law school. They aren't SEC Whores.
Allahu Akbar. Retract your statement.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:18 am

Desert Fox wrote: Pakistanis won't value law school. They aren't SEC Whores.
Interesting.

/Pakistani

dr123

Gold

Re: General question: I am 24yo.... NO SPAM [UPDATE]

Post by dr123 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:21 am

How are you still in UG at 24?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Will_Imake_it

New

Post by Will_Imake_it » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:22 am

dr123 wrote:How are you still in UG at 24?
I am not

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:24 am

Will_Imake_it wrote:
dr123 wrote:How are you still in UG at 24?
I am not
oh, stay at your current job. St Thomas is not worth it.

Will_Imake_it

New

Post by Will_Imake_it » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:36 am

Just so I understand the rule of cant take more than three tests in two years. I have taken the LSAT three times already (october 2010, october 2011, and december 2012)

IF i want to retake it one last time in October 2013, can I do so?

andy261

Bronze

Post by andy261 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:47 am

Will_Imake_it wrote:Just so I understand the rule of cant take more than three tests in two years. I have taken the LSAT three times already (october 2010, october 2011, and december 2012)

Uh bro Oct 2010 to Oct 2013 is three years. You could take retake in June if you wanted.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

heythatslife

Silver

Post by heythatslife » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:52 am

Will_Imake_it wrote:Just so I understand the rule of cant take more than three tests in two years. I have taken the LSAT three times already (october 2010, october 2011, and december 2012)

Yes, you may. And you can take another one right after that in December, too, but your sixth take would have to wait until February 2015.

Not particularly familiar with Pakistani culture per se, but I've spent a few years in the Middle East and the impression I got was that if you have decent social/tribal standing and a well-paying job, a man could quite possibly find a much younger wife through family connections or matchmakers.

Will_Imake_it

New

Post by Will_Imake_it » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:12 pm

heythatslife wrote:

Yes, you may. And you can take another one right after that in December, too, but your sixth take would have to wait until February 2015.

Not particularly familiar with Pakistani culture per se, but I've spent a few years in the Middle East and the impression I got was that if you have decent social/tribal standing and a well-paying job, a man could quite possibly find a much younger wife through family connections or matchmakers.
out of this whole thread, marriage keeps getting discussed. You are right, that is the culture but that is only how they see it in the native country. In US, it totally different. Which is why I wrote my heart out on this thread.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:27 pm

Why do you want to go to lawl school so bad? Have you considered any other options?

Kabootar

New

Post by Kabootar » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:42 pm

OP:

I have grown up in a South Asian household (my parents are Indian and Pakistani).

1. The amount of Islamophobic comments in this thread are astonishing, but not surprising. Your ignorance will bite you in the ass one day.

2. Culture: I have struggled to find a personal connection/medium between the culture and religion that I grew up in, and the conflicting culture and predominant religion of the country that I grew up in (Amurika). It is an uphill battle, for sure. There are pressures to marry within a specific age range (I'm a female) or else my ovaries will shrivel up and die...or something like that. There are pressures to sell my soul to some lucrative profession, even though my interests and talents may not coincide with those professions. There are pressures to have babies, be pious, and to take care of our parents when they are old, because we must be good little children. To outsiders the solution seems to be an easy "why can't you just leave?', but many do not realize that it is a CYCLE. A cycle of guilt, a cycle of being trapped in our own mind within the confines of our identity, and a cycle of never fitting in to our culture or the predominant western society that does not align with our beliefs or thoughts. We become lost.

But I do believe that being squashed between these two conflicting views is a PERSPECTIVE. With your current perspective, what you want to do aligns more with your environment than with what your parents want you to do (which aligns more with your history and culture). These two are not polar opposites, even though they are perceived as such. You must find your own balance to bring the two conflicting sides into a mixture that suits you. I did this by rebelling. I was far away from my parents, but had to visit home and tend to taking care of my family and younger siblings every weekend. I made lots of mistakes and found myself stuck in many nasty situations, but I survived. I have come out of these experiences as someone who is comfortable being an American and a South Asian. I do not see the two as being mutually exclusive. This is not a problem that is strictly intrinsic to South Asian immigrant families, this is something that is prevalent in all immigrant communities.

If you want to be a lawyer, then become a lawyer. Your parents, culture, or non-western background does NOT dictate your life. It is an identity. And as with all identities, it must be molded to fit you. You must not mold yourself to fit the identity. Your parents will learn to respect you when they see you respecting yourself and standing up for yourself. I know that this is true, mostly because I took a stand and created my own reality. It was a struggle, but my parents eventually learned. I did not have to compromise my identity as a South Asian, nor did I have to compromise my future. In fact, I feel closer to the history of my people, my religion, and my culture (and have gained a lot of respect for it) because I decided to rebel, make mistakes, and explore who I truly am. If you would like to talk more about this, please feel free to PM me. Good luck, and please don't sacrifice your dreams for the sake of others.

Khodahafez,
Kabootar

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RhymesLikeDimes

Bronze

Post by RhymesLikeDimes » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Last edited by RhymesLikeDimes on Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:44 pm

Do not go to St. Thomas under any conditions, but definitely not if you want to return to New York (any non-T14 school is regional) and have to complete their legal studies program first.

What is wrong with the job you currently have at the federal agency? If you went to law school, would they possibly be interested in hiring you (don't do this unless it is in writing)?

I don't know what to tell you about the LSAT because it sounds like you have low confidence and test anxiety that is leading you to underperform your practice tests. I understand. When I took the LSAT, I was so nervous for this first section that I really couldn't read or thing for awhile, but after ten minutes or so, I settled down and ended up getting about my practice test average. I guess one way to combat that is to get your practice test scores up so high that dropping five or seven points on the real test is no big deal. Have you used any of the resources in the LSAT prep forum here? Also, one thing that I think is helpful is writing down a sentence for each question you got wrong that says why the answer you chose was wrong and why the answer that was right was right; you can do the same thing for questions you happened to get right by guessing or questions you weren't sure about.

I can also relate to family pressures and dealing with family expectations/disappointment, etc. However, law school is a very risky proposition right now, and it does not make sense to go just bc your parents think you should or bc your friends are all in graduate school. You need to make sure that you are not signing up for a life of dischargeable debt peonage, which you certainly will be with St. Thomas. If you want to be in NY, the only schools you should be considering are the T14 and schools in NY. If you are able to get a 170+ score (or like 167 for Cornell or 169 for GT/Mich/Penn, etc), then you could consider going to the T14 at sticker. If not, your priority must be to have as little debt as possible. Don't think 'oh, I should choose Cardozo over St. John's because Cardozo is more prestigious bc it is ranked higher' - to be clear, Cardozo is not prestigious at all, and neither are any other schools besides HYS and maybe some of the rest of the T14. Thus, if you aren't going to the T14, don't choose a school based on its ranking; choose based on job prospects and debt. Hofstra with a full-tuition scholarship is better than Brooklyn with a half-tuition scholarship. (They're both pretty terrible but at least Hofstra leaves you with less than 100K in debt). One thing to watch out for, though, is scholarship stipulations. Schools will often offer a scholarship but you only retain it if you finish in, say, the top 40%. Beware of those. Choose the school with no stips over the school with stips if the COA is the same. If not, try to negotiate the stips away.

Lastly, is English your second language? Your writing is pretty stiff and awkward and punctuated strangely. If English is your second language, there are probably some threads in the LSAT prep forum about how to succeed on the LSAT if you're ESL. Also, I would suggest doing lots of dense reading - The Economist, etc.

Will_Imake_it

New

Post by Will_Imake_it » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:13 pm

Kabootar wrote:OP:

I have grown up in a South Asian household (my parents are Indian and Pakistani).

1. The amount of Islamophobic comments in this thread are astonishing, but not surprising. Your ignorance will bite you in the ass one day.

2. Culture: I have struggled to find a personal connection/medium between the culture and religion that I grew up in, and the conflicting culture and predominant religion of the country that I grew up in (Amurika). It is an uphill battle, for sure. There are pressures to marry within a specific age range (I'm a female) or else my ovaries will shrivel up and die...or something like that. There are pressures to sell my soul to some lucrative profession, even though my interests and talents may not coincide with those professions. There are pressures to have babies, be pious, and to take care of our parents when they are old, because we must be good little children. To outsiders the solution seems to be an easy "why can't you just leave?', but many do not realize that it is a CYCLE. A cycle of guilt, a cycle of being trapped in our own mind within the confines of our identity, and a cycle of never fitting in to our culture or the predominant western society that does not align with our beliefs or thoughts. We become lost.

But I do believe that being squashed between these two conflicting views is a PERSPECTIVE. With your current perspective, what you want to do aligns more with your environment than with what your parents want you to do (which aligns more with your history and culture). These two are not polar opposites, even though they are perceived as such. You must find your own balance to bring the two conflicting sides into a mixture that suits you. I did this by rebelling. I was far away from my parents, but had to visit home and tend to taking care of my family and younger siblings every weekend. I made lots of mistakes and found myself stuck in many nasty situations, but I survived. I have come out of these experiences as someone who is comfortable being an American and a South Asian. I do not see the two as being mutually exclusive. This is not a problem that is strictly intrinsic to South Asian immigrant families, this is something that is prevalent in all immigrant communities.

If you want to be a lawyer, then become a lawyer. Your parents, culture, or non-western background does NOT dictate your life. It is an identity. And as with all identities, it must be molded to fit you. You must not mold yourself to fit the identity. Your parents will learn to respect you when they see you respecting yourself and standing up for yourself. I know that this is true, mostly because I took a stand and created my own reality. It was a struggle, but my parents eventually learned. I did not have to compromise my identity as a South Asian, nor did I have to compromise my future. In fact, I feel closer to the history of my people, my religion, and my culture (and have gained a lot of respect for it) because I decided to rebel, make mistakes, and explore who I truly am. If you would like to talk more about this, please feel free to PM me. Good luck, and please don't sacrifice your dreams for the sake of others.

Khodahafez,
Kabootar
"hurr Hurr Kabootar" thanks for those wise words :)

Will_Imake_it

New

Post by Will_Imake_it » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:22 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:Do not go to St. Thomas under any conditions, but definitely not if you want to return to New York (any non-T14 school is regional) and have to complete their legal studies program first.

What is wrong with the job you currently have at the federal agency? If you went to law school, would they possibly be interested in hiring you (don't do this unless it is in writing)?

I don't know what to tell you about the LSAT because it sounds like you have low confidence and test anxiety that is leading you to underperform your practice tests. I understand. When I took the LSAT, I was so nervous for this first section that I really couldn't read or thing for awhile, but after ten minutes or so, I settled down and ended up getting about my practice test average. I guess one way to combat that is to get your practice test scores up so high that dropping five or seven points on the real test is no big deal. Have you used any of the resources in the LSAT prep forum here? Also, one thing that I think is helpful is writing down a sentence for each question you got wrong that says why the answer you chose was wrong and why the answer that was right was right; you can do the same thing for questions you happened to get right by guessing or questions you weren't sure about.

I can also relate to family pressures and dealing with family expectations/disappointment, etc. However, law school is a very risky proposition right now, and it does not make sense to go just bc your parents think you should or bc your friends are all in graduate school. You need to make sure that you are not signing up for a life of dischargeable debt peonage, which you certainly will be with St. Thomas. If you want to be in NY, the only schools you should be considering are the T14 and schools in NY. If you are able to get a 170+ score (or like 167 for Cornell or 169 for GT/Mich/Penn, etc), then you could consider going to the T14 at sticker. If not, your priority must be to have as little debt as possible. Don't think 'oh, I should choose Cardozo over St. John's because Cardozo is more prestigious bc it is ranked higher' - to be clear, Cardozo is not prestigious at all, and neither are any other schools besides HYS and maybe some of the rest of the T14. Thus, if you aren't going to the T14, don't choose a school based on its ranking; choose based on job prospects and debt. Hofstra with a full-tuition scholarship is better than Brooklyn with a half-tuition scholarship. (They're both pretty terrible but at least Hofstra leaves you with less than 100K in debt). One thing to watch out for, though, is scholarship stipulations. Schools will often offer a scholarship but you only retain it if you finish in, say, the top 40%. Beware of those. Choose the school with no stips over the school with stips if the COA is the same. If not, try to negotiate the stips away.

Lastly, is English your second language? Your writing is pretty stiff and awkward and punctuated strangely. If English is your second language, there are probably some threads in the LSAT prep forum about how to succeed on the LSAT if you're ESL. Also, I would suggest doing lots of dense reading - The Economist, etc.

YOU are simply the best! That was great and I really appreciate you taking time out and replying to my thread. Yes, English is my second language and yes I have been reading dense articles for the past two months. I am starting my prep again for October, it is kind of tough that I have already used up all the recent PTs. But, reading NoodleyOne's thread on retake has given me more confidence.

Thanks for the guidance bro

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”