Addendum to Duke?

Poo-T

Addendum to Duke?

Postby Poo-T » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:17 pm

Duke FAQ - "In the case of multiple test scores, data show that the average score is generally the most useful in predicting law school performance; however, Duke may place greater weight on a high score if the applicant provides compelling information about why that score is a better indication of his or her potential. If you feel that one or more of your test scores does not accurately reflect your ability or potential, please use the Miscellaneous Addendum attachment to explain this disparity."

OCT LSAT 159
DEC LSAT 170

Should I write an addendum? Does this mean they're gonna look at me as a 165? :(

spicyyoda17

Re: Addendum to Duke?

Postby spicyyoda17 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:49 pm

Poo-T wrote:Duke FAQ - "In the case of multiple test scores, data show that the average score is generally the most useful in predicting law school performance; however, Duke may place greater weight on a high score if the applicant provides compelling information about why that score is a better indication of his or her potential. If you feel that one or more of your test scores does not accurately reflect your ability or potential, please use the Miscellaneous Addendum attachment to explain this disparity."

OCT LSAT 159
DEC LSAT 170

Should I write an addendum? Does this mean they're gonna look at me as a 165? :(

They will not look at you as someone with a 165. They will look at you as someone with a 170. If you choose to write an addendum, make sure the focus is on why you scored higher the second time around. The most common mistake with LSAT addendums is focusing on why you did poorly the first time.

Unless a school explicitly states an LSAT addendum is required for a certain increase, an addendum should ONLY be written if a solid and simple explanation can be made for the jump. And again, the focus needs to be on the second test.

Bad addendum: I did better the 2nd time because I studied more than the 1st time.
Good addendum: Before taking the LSAT for a 2nd time, I enrolled in additional literature classes which significantly improved my reading comprehension skills.

In sum: with a jump like this, don't write an addendum unless you can cite a valid reason why you were a better and more intelligent individual when you took the LSAT most recently.

Make sense?

Poo-T

Re: Addendum to Duke?

Postby Poo-T » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:09 pm

Thank you, Yoda.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”