are there any prep courses that seem to work for 170+'ers?

scottybear

are there any prep courses that seem to work for 170+'ers?

Postby scottybear » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:22 pm

Hi all-

This might seem like a stupid question, but there's a reason for it... are there any prep courses that are specifically designed to help people who might have a 170+ and want to retake and squeeze out a few more points?

I'm not trying to be a dick or or one of those "I'm so unhappy with my score, waah" people. I got a 171, which I know is a great score. But I'm a HUGE splitter. I did terrible in community college and my lsac gpa, which I obviously can't do anything about, is well under 3.0 (it's around 2.75ish).

At the time, i didn't care about school or want to go to law school, etc. but that was a long time ago. Now, I want to get into the best school I can.

So, I know 171 is a good score, but my GPA has me pretty much locked out of the t-14 and most schools I would want to go to. At this point, I figure that a) every little point helps me get into a better school, and b) if, by some miracle I jump a FEW points, i MIGHT be able to find a t-14 that would be willing to take a chance on me.

But, most of the prep courses i've been looking at boast about their 170+ teachers, which seems that it's luck of the draw whether i get one who got a 180 or one who's about right at my level. I need a course that has like all 180 teachers who can boost my score. Is there such a course? I read through the stickies, and saw something about kaplan advanced prep. From what I can tell, it's a book. Not that I mind a book... I prefer a course, but this particular book has tons of reviews talking about how poorly edited it is and how it's hard to get anything from due to all the typos, etc etc.

any insight would be appreciated. thanks!

cahwc12

Re: are there any prep courses that seem to work for 170+'ers?

Postby cahwc12 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:49 pm

I think you'd be better off using some or all of that prep course money on a private tutor. A course will be extremely boring for you.

scottybear

Postby scottybear » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:51 pm

that's decent advice, i never thought about that. So, of course, I've never looked into it... do most people do this through the larger companies, or more locally through a smaller company or kiosk fliers or something?

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:19 pm

scottybear wrote:that's decent advice, i never thought about that. So, of course, I've never looked into it... do most people do this through the larger companies, or more locally through a smaller company or kiosk fliers or something?

I very highly recommend employing a tutor who doesn't work with a large company because you usually have to pay everything up front. (Buy 10, 30, 100 hours of tutoring, etc.) There are a lot of great tutors who post on this forum regularly, and the advantage with going with an independent tutor is that you can pay them by the hour or session.

It also totally depends on how much you're willing to spend for a private tutor. You can probably get a solid tutor for ~$50/hr, a great tutor for ~$100/hr, and the best tutors for ~$150/hr.

cynthiad

Postby cynthiad » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:28 pm

I would recommend taking a look at NoodleyOne's retake guide, he went from 169 to 179. I think that studying the test yourself is probably more effective than a class, because you need to be focused on eliminating errors, rather than mastering the basics of the test, so you need a more personalized study plan. If you have problems with motivation or discipline, look for a private tutor who can keep you on track.

meimei32

Postby meimei32 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:42 pm

i took Knewton (an online class) my second time around and went from a 169 to a 177. when i did it, i think it was $699 with a 5 point improvement money-back guarantee.
I was hestitant to take an online class but i figured worst case scenario i'd get my money back... i ended up really liking it. they give you access to all released LSATS and you can print them out and fill in your answers later so you don't have to take them on the computer. and you can either participate in the classes live via chatroom if you want to ask questions or watch the recordings whenever you want.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”