Good Plan to Break 170

cause8191

Good Plan to Break 170

Postby cause8191 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:48 pm

I took a rough diagnostic about a month ago and scored in the mid-150s. Since then I have gone through the Manhattan bundle and the LG Bible and done some drills. I am hoping to take the LSAT in June and hopefully break 170. For the next week I will do several drills and then start taking EVERY PT available, leading up to June. I start out with the earliest PTs, with one every few days. I probably won't be very strict with time on these initial ones. I will do this until about late February/early March when I will take about one PT every 4-6 days for about three weeks just to prevent burnout. Then, in early April until about 5 days before the official LSAT in June, I will take one at least every other day and work my way up to the most recent PTs in order. On some days I will take more than one, and others I will take on consecutive days.

For every test, I will go through every question, write down my mood and thought process, and then write down why I got certain questions wrong and certain ones right and make sure I have a solid understanding why. On off days I will review the most recent test I took and do drills.

I already have the dates scheduled when I take each test. I can modify my drills depending on my trouble areas. I also take into account that I have an 18 hour schedule this semester and must maintain my high gpa, and I work in breaks, holidays, and fun days.

Is this a good 5 month plan?

rebexness

Re: Good Plan to Break 170

Postby rebexness » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:57 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cause8191

Postby cause8191 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:01 pm

rebexness wrote:Honestly, I wouldn't start PTing until you have a firm grasp of the material. How many PTs are you working with?

Do you mean how many PTs I plan on taking? Well, I either own every one or have ordered every one, besides PTs 1, 17, and 39. I am drilling with the Cambridge sets from PTs 1-20. I am probably repeating a lot of material, but I am leaving PTs 40-67 for the final two months of studying.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:09 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the_pakalypse

Postby the_pakalypse » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:26 pm

You are going to burn out. I know you think "Oh no I've accounted for this"/"Oh no I want this more than anyone else wants it"/"Oh no I have a much better work ethic and I'm used to it"... you're going to burn out. Trust me, I too was in the same position - I did all the PTs available and I reviewed them pretty damn well... still, I was not able to perform on game day because of a combination of burn out and the fact that I didn't focus enough on my LG weaknesses. I prioritized LR studying when I should have treated all the sections as equal.

I would drill section by section of LR (as available from Cambridge LSAT), follow the pithypike method to drill LG, and "drill" RC as best you can until at least mid-March. The drilling would use up PT 1-38.

Then I would use the rest of the months to do PTs and sometimes do additional sections for practice.

Don't do so many tests in the month before June unless you are absolutely 100 percent sure you can handle it. I thought I could, until I realized a week before the test that I started feeling as if I just wanted to get it over with, and I'd feel tired when doing sections... by then it was too late to fix!

Source: I went from cold 159 to PT avg of 174. Cancelled the December LSAT, retaking this June.

boblawlob

Postby boblawlob » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:40 pm

the_pakalypse wrote:You are going to burn out. I know you think "Oh no I've accounted for this"/"Oh no I want this more than anyone else wants it"/"Oh no I have a much better work ethic and I'm used to it"... you're going to burn out. Trust me, I too was in the same position - I did all the PTs available and I reviewed them pretty damn well... still, I was not able to perform on game day because of a combination of burn out and the fact that I didn't focus enough on my LG weaknesses. I prioritized LR studying when I should have treated all the sections as equal.

I would drill section by section of LR (as available from Cambridge LSAT), follow the pithypike method to drill LG, and "drill" RC as best you can until at least mid-March. The drilling would use up PT 1-38.

Then I would use the rest of the months to do PTs and sometimes do additional sections for practice.

Don't do so many tests in the month before June unless you are absolutely 100 percent sure you can handle it. I thought I could, until I realized a week before the test that I started feeling as if I just wanted to get it over with, and I'd feel tired when doing sections... by then it was too late to fix!

Source: I went from cold 159 to PT avg of 174. Cancelled the December LSAT, retaking this June.

This.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”