October 2013 (re)take Thread

senioritis13

Re: October 2013 (re)take Thread

Postby senioritis13 » Tue May 28, 2013 12:58 pm

OliveBC wrote:We should get this thread going!!!

170 on the feb test. retaking for a 173+ in October (maybe December because I debated whether or not to retake for so long that I'm just now starting prep all over again. Taking a new baseline diagnostic tomorrow so we will see how that goes.

I'd love for this thread to get some more activity! I feel like retaking is a whole different game than the first time around.

I agree with this! I don't feel like I'm in the same place as those who have never taken it before and I like having this separate thread dedicated to re-takers. First time takers can obviously check in here, but it's nice to not have to weed through all the posts in the other thread that really don't relate to me at all.

@Olive- what are you doing differently for your prep this time? I greatly ignored the RC section last time, so I'm doing old RC sections right now and trying to develop a more consistent and systematic approach (treat it more like LG, so to speak). I'm also spending a lot more time reviewing my prep tests lol I kind of just checked my answers and moved on last time.

OliveBC

Postby OliveBC » Tue May 28, 2013 2:48 pm

My method for studying the first time around was pretty lazy I will admit. I basically took mostly untimed random sections when I felt like it, often watching tv etc :oops:

Once it started getting closer to the Feb test, I started taking timed sections, but usually not a whole test at once. Timing has never been the issue for me I usually finish with 10 ish minutes to spare on RC and LR and about 5 on LG.

My problem was going too fast and making stupid mistakes I think...unfortunately Feb is undisclosed so I don't know exactly where my weaknesses were but based off previous tests I tend to miss the most in LR and since it is 2 sections that is the area I plan to target. I never really reviewed my PTs either, just checked my answers to get a score, so I feel you on that point, and I will definitely be adjusting that habit.

I feel like when you are in the 170+ range you really need to focus in on where your mistakes are rather that do a general study plan.

Going to use the LR bible, and Cambridge bundles to drill then go hardcore on full timed PTs in all conditions (about 30 of them) leading up to test day.

Taking a new diagnostic tonight/tomorrow and going to log that to lsatqa.com per Noodly's plan. Hoping that will pinpoint some LR question types I tend to miss so I can only buy those packs to drill from and not have to spend $80 bucks on the entire bundle haha.

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue May 28, 2013 11:44 pm

senioritis13

Postby senioritis13 » Tue May 28, 2013 11:57 pm

I made a pretty intensive schedule too, but quickly started to deviate from it when I realized I was getting through the books much faster than I anticipated. I actually got through Manhattan's RC book and started drilling RC in the same day. I was incredibly lazy the first time around, so I think the biggest change I need to make is to start taking full-length prep tests and send an ample amount of time reviewing them (didn't do either the first time through).

I think it's less important for re-takers to read through all the books and approaches and more important for them to skim for approaches to try out, and then really practice getting them down. You don't need all that time with books and such because you know what questions look like and how fast you can go, you simply need to change a few of your methods (as opposed to learning all new ones).

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed May 29, 2013 12:01 am

senioritis13

Postby senioritis13 » Wed May 29, 2013 11:04 am

I haven't really tried it yet, but I plan to! The 7sage memory method has helped me more than anything with RC...so I'm planning to look off that site for some more stuff when I get better at this garbage. I'm just going through RC drilling right now though and probably won't start prep tests for another 2 weeks :shock:

I'm just surprised at how little I did the first time around haha. I had just decided not to apply to medical school and jumped into the LSAT. I had no idea what TLS, 7sage, LSATblog, Manhattan etc. were. I just used Kaplan books and took the damn test. So here I am again, avoiding all things Kaplan and ready to kill it.

Have you guys used the Cambridge packets, or do you think it's not worth the money? I feel like I have a good amount of PTs and I can just use the older ones for drilling sections, but idk if maybe it would help to have them organized by difficulty and such?

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed May 29, 2013 11:13 am

LegaleZy

Postby LegaleZy » Fri May 31, 2013 9:18 pm

@sublime I'm right there with you as far as the financial investment. I bombed Dec. 2012 LSAT b/c of poor preparation. I have all the PS Bibles, MLSAT Books, Preptest, Cambridge Sets, etc. Basically if it's highly credited on TLS I own it. I also plan on taking a class. I know many people say self-prep, but I need someone to explain to me in a class and then supplement that with self-study. I'm looking at MLSAT or PS. If anyone has any suggestions of courses I'd appreciate it.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:04 am

Archangel

Postby Archangel » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:40 am

Dr.Zer0

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:31 pm

PourMeTea

Post removed.

Postby PourMeTea » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:26 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by PourMeTea on Fri May 08, 2015 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Theopliske8711

Postby Theopliske8711 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:31 pm

Checking in. 167, aiming for 170-172 range. Def. think it's doable.

Ambitious1

Postby Ambitious1 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:37 pm

Checking in. 159 in February and 163 in June. Looking for 170+ in October.

capricorn13

Postby capricorn13 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:42 pm

Hello! Checking in also. I've been studying for 6 months for the June exam but canceled the score because the experimental RC in the first section ruined me and I thought that I could do better. The test anxiety coupled with stress ruined me also! Going over PTs and trying to make my weakest section (LG) to my strongest.
Good luck everyone!

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:44 pm

Checking in. Third take. First-time 171, second-time (mumblemumble), aiming for a.. don't worry about it.

On this episode of the show, TheMostDangerousLG takes on the most dangerous section: RC.

(Posted this in the other thread as well:)

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Before I would have said this is a silly question, but desperate times...: has anyone here ever taken a speed reading course? Was it useful? Waste of time? Any thoughts would be good.

I straight up got kicked in the face by RC on this test. LR and LG went well, but RC just ruined me. I definitely didn't put in enough time studying for it* last take, but I'm not sure how to go about studying it this time.

So: I'm trying to start fresh and shake things up, RC-wise. I want to try to train myself to not need notes. To be able to do multiple sections in a row. And most important, to not spend so much god damn time on the passages that I have to rush just to make it through the questions, and barely finish at the buzzer.

This is going to be rough.

eaad91

Postby eaad91 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:51 pm

Last edited by eaad91 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lalalany

Postby lalalany » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:54 pm

Last edited by lalalany on Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:59 pm

So how is everyone planning on handling this? I was thinking I'd start with a diagnostic (maybe an early 40s test I haven't seen in a while), and then flip through my old guides, and pick up where I left off with LG sections, drilling LR Qs, and importantly, doing RC sections. I think I'm going to try to complete PTs 39-69 again before October.

RoaringMice

Postby RoaringMice » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:04 pm

LegaleZy wrote:I'm working my way through the MLSAT Logic Games Guide and feel like I'm finally getting logic games. I'm taking baby steps. I'm still on basic ordering, but just understanding how to make inferences is a huge accomplishment and a step in the right direction. I'm looking forward to making more progress in getting closer to that 170+ :mrgreen:

I'm totally with you. I did -15 on the logic games this June LSAT. Seriously, -15???? But I knew, going in, that I had NO idea how to make inferences. I'd spent most of my prep time with the stupid Princeton Review LSAT book, which did not help me. At all. Not even a little bit. It wasn't until I got the Logic Games Bible that I went, "D'oh!" But it was far too late by that time. I knew I wouldn't do well on the LG section, and I did not.

I hope to at least have some stupid bleedin' clue for LG by October. I could also do some improving on LR. But my RC is very good, so I'm hoping, here's to hoping, there's some hope for me. :roll:

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:05 pm

RoaringMice wrote:
LegaleZy wrote:I'm working my way through the MLSAT Logic Games Guide and feel like I'm finally getting logic games. I'm taking baby steps. I'm still on basic ordering, but just understanding how to make inferences is a huge accomplishment and a step in the right direction. I'm looking forward to making more progress in getting closer to that 170+ :mrgreen:

I'm totally with you. I did -15 on the logic games this June LSAT. Seriously, -15???? But I knew, going in, that I had NO idea how to make inferences. I'd spent most of my prep time with the stupid Princeton Review LSAT book, which did not help me. At all. Not even a little bit. It wasn't until I got the Logic Games Bible that I went, "D'oh!" But it was far too late by that time. I knew I wouldn't do well on the LG section, and I did not.

I hope to at least have some stupid bleedin' clue for LG by October. I could also do some improving on LR. But my RC is very good, so I'm hoping, here's to hoping, there's some hope for me. :roll:

How did you study for RC? Do you have any tips?

RoaringMice

Postby RoaringMice » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:06 pm

LegaleZy wrote:
cricketlove00 wrote:Worked on difficult assumption questions all weekend. The sufficient assumption ones are killing me :(

Threw in a few easy logic games to keep myself sane. I wish the whole test was logic games.

And I'd be good with the entire test being RC and LR, though I did just finish my first simple ordering game without missing any, so maybe once I go an entire section of LG at -0 I may feel differently.

I'd be at Harvard if the test were all RC and LR. ;) But alas, it is not.

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:07 pm

Checking in. 169 December 2012 -> 170 June 2013. I've been a wreck since getting my score (see paranoid post history), but being upset over a 170 LSAT is a real first world problem if I've ever heard of one.

I think for this take, I'm going to take that lemur's advice and calm the fuck down. There's some material that I haven't touched that I'll cover and I'm going to spend less time prepping for the LSAT specifically and more time reading and living a generally happy life. I was PTing in the mid-170s so at this point, I feel like it's more of a mental thing for me. Based on what went down in the waiting thread, a lot of people are in the same boat.

RoaringMice

Postby RoaringMice » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:12 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
How did you study for RC? Do you have any tips?

I'm lucky, in that RC is my strength on every standardized test. I only did the most peripheral prep for that section, more to make myself familiar with it and the types of questions asked than for any other purpose. I'm going to need to spend the brunt of my prep time on LG, because there's such massive opportunity there for me to improve my score.

johmica

Postby johmica » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:22 pm

Checking in. Was a lurker in the June thread. Scored a 171, but was scoring 177-180 consistently on timed practice tests. I think my problem was that I peaked early. Started studying six months before the test, started getting my high scores on PTs and got cocky. Pretty lax study regimen by the time test day rolled around. Felt foggy on the RC and LR sections. Anyway, gonna take a more proactive approach for my Oct. retake, so I hope you don't mind a long-time lurker developing a more active presence.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”