October 2013 (re)take Thread

lsatprepd00d

Re: October 2013 (re)take Thread

Postby lsatprepd00d » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:40 am

I'm finally starting for October and think that besides the Logic Games I need the most work on Reading Comprehension. Has anyone here used both Manhattan and Nova for this? I'm trying to decide which to start with and both seem to have good reviews on here.

cricketlove00

Postby cricketlove00 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:27 pm

lsatprepd00d wrote:I'm finally starting for October and think that besides the Logic Games I need the most work on Reading Comprehension. Has anyone here used both Manhattan and Nova for this? I'm trying to decide which to start with and both seem to have good reviews on here.

Don't know anything about Nova, but I've been using Manhattan for LR and it's pretty much the most awesome thing. I have the RC Manhattan book but haven't started it.

dandandandan

Postby dandandandan » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:28 am

Checking in. 161 in December. -11 on LG's. :shock: Haven't picked up a piece of LSAT material since then. Skipping June. Back to work I go.

lsatprepd00d wrote:I'm finally starting for October and think that besides the Logic Games I need the most work on Reading Comprehension. Has anyone here used both Manhattan and Nova for this? I'm trying to decide which to start with and both seem to have good reviews on here.

I can't speak on Nova, but I used Manhattan's RC guide as my first RC literature and found it to be of little help despite all the praise it seems to receive. Believe it or not Kaplan's RC strategies and tactics book helped me out tremendously. Admittedly some parts of the book are rife with details and Kaplan's self promotion is at times unbearable, but if you are diligent I think the Kaplan book is far more useful to the beginner than the Manhattan guide.

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:46 am

objection_your_honor wrote:If I don't hit 173+ in June, I'll be taking in October.

cricketlove00

Postby cricketlove00 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:18 pm

Why does LR hate me so much?

I think I need meds. I just cannot focus on this shiz.

griffin.811

Postby griffin.811 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:29 pm

Right with you Objection & Rizzy. Praying I dont end up in here. That will mean I've been studying for a year.

It would suck to tell people I'm still studying too smh...

doublehoohopeful

Postby doublehoohopeful » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:03 am

Last edited by doublehoohopeful on Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A.Taarabt7

Postby A.Taarabt7 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:51 pm

How are you guys studying for this retake? I have already retaken twice back in Oct/Dec

only studied 2 months for each take, this time its go hard or go home. Since I have taken most of the tests, I am unsure of how to plan my studies this 3rd time around. I printed out the 6 month study plan from LSAT blog, and will probably do something like that. Since I haven't touched any LSAT material since December I am very rusty. I forgot most of the categories for specific LG/LR and what not. This month I will be drilling RC and LG.

might also buy the new version of Manhattan guides as well.

Will start taking PTs in August and then PT every 3-4 days in September.

cricketlove00

Postby cricketlove00 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:11 pm

A.Taarabt7 wrote:How are you guys studying for this retake? I have already retaken twice back in Oct/Dec

only studied 2 months for each take, this time its go hard or go home. Since I have taken most of the tests, I am unsure of how to plan my studies this 3rd time around. I printed out the 6 month study plan from LSAT blog, and will probably do something like that. Since I haven't touched any LSAT material since December I am very rusty. I forgot most of the categories for specific LG/LR and what not. This month I will be drilling RC and LG.

might also buy the new version of Manhattan guides as well.

Will start taking PTs in August and then PT every 3-4 days in September.

I'm mixing Noodley and Pithypike's plan. Basically, I started back from square one. I took a new diagnostic and did a few timed sections of each RC, LG, and LR to figure out where I wanted to start based off of what I needed the most time figuring out. I average anywhere from -3 to -0 on LG, so I decided to skip LG and start working on LR. Most plans have you starting with LG...

Anyway, basically I work through the chapter in the Mahattan guide and then drill whatever question type I just worked on through the Cambridge sections. I usually do a few in the 1-2 difficulty range, but spend most of my time drilling the 3-4 difficulty questions. It takes a while, but the ones I have the most trouble with, I physically write out why each answer choice is either wrong or right.

I've basically been doing that for a few months now and I'm almost done drilling LR, in a sense. I've done all the chapters but still have problems with a few question types, such as Point At Issue and Parallel Reasoning. Those are what I'm doing now.

My plan is to move onto RC next and then dive into heavy PTing.

LegaleZy

Postby LegaleZy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:54 pm

I'm taking the exact same approach as cricket. I'm currently working on LG since that is by far my weakest section. I'm using MLSAT LG Guide to learn the basics of each question type and then I'm using Cambridge to drill each question type until I've reached complete mastery. I'm not moving on to other question types until I can get every question type correct consistently. It's an extremely slow process, but I'm happy to report I am improving. This is my plan for each section of the LSAT.

doublehoohopeful

Postby doublehoohopeful » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:35 pm

I'm doing something pretty similar, taking my time with the bibles and taking another preptest after going through those. Next phase is going to be to go through the Manhattan books and then take another test.

After three total preptests, I'll have a pretty good idea of where I'm deficient and I can then return to those topics in the PS/Manhattan books and reinforce with Cambridge drilling.

Rinse and repeat until consistently scoring 176+

A.Taarabt7

Postby A.Taarabt7 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:06 pm

kind of a downer to repeat test and reapply next cycle. I need to get a job, I have been visiting schools non stop and studied fulltime last cycle since my decision wasn't 100% made till August.

Applying for retail jobs but hopefully I can get the volunteer position at the local courthouse so I can learn more about day to day duties of a lawyer ( or at least the types of lawyers I will encounter there )

cricketlove00

Postby cricketlove00 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:59 am

doublehoohopeful wrote:Rinse and repeat until consistently scoring 176+

Last edited by cricketlove00 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:02 am

cricketlove00 wrote:
doublehoohopeful wrote:Rinse and repeat until consistently scoring 176+

Me too. I have a sub-par 3.5 GPA according to stupid LSAC. I graduated with a 3.65 from my UG's honors college but since it's still under the craptastic university I went to they knocked it down to a 3.5. I feel like my dreams of Columbia are dashed if I don't score a 175+.

Took a break from studying this weekend to have some St. Paddy's day fun. I've convinced myself to take my first PT this weekend since doing a new diagnostic. I've pretty much covered most of the LR section, so I'm looking for at least a +7 improvement.

How did they know your GPA down? They use the same basic formula for everyone

cricketlove00

Postby cricketlove00 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:27 pm

Evidently I have no idea what I'm talking about.

:oops: :oops:

LegaleZy

Postby LegaleZy » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:49 pm

Finally starting to get LG :mrgreen: practice, practice, practice really is the key. It's taken a few months and I'm sure it will take several more, but I'm getting it. Finally!

cricketlove00

Postby cricketlove00 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:18 pm

LegaleZy wrote:Finally starting to get LG :mrgreen: practice, practice, practice really is the key. It's taken a few months and I'm sure it will take several more, but I'm getting it. Finally!

That is such great news! I think the key to LSAT practice is when you feel like quitting, to push through. That's when I find myself learning a lot. I know how much trouble you've had with it, so I'm happy for you.

Is there any particular kind of game you're struggling with? Is it the initial set up or making deductions?

A.Taarabt7

Postby A.Taarabt7 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:55 pm

PM me your skype names. This group needs to be more active. I am going to invite you to my mental aesthetics group on skype so we can discuss our strategies more often. It seems like its a one man show in here at this point

uieLouAy

Postby uieLouAy » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:24 pm

I know this thread came first but it seems like there's a little more activity going on in here (October 2013 LSAT Study Group).

uieLouAy

Postby uieLouAy » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:29 pm

cricketlove00 wrote:Anyway, basically I work through the chapter in the Mahattan guide and then drill whatever question type I just worked on through the Cambridge sections. I usually do a few in the 1-2 difficulty range, but spend most of my time drilling the 3-4 difficulty questions. It takes a while, but the ones I have the most trouble with, I physically write out why each answer choice is either wrong or right.

I've heard a lot about the Cambridge books but I don't know if they would help me out much. I'm using the Kaplan Mastery Practice book which is full of practice problems for all sections and then for LG I made 3 copies of each game in three of the "10 Next" books. Would Cambridge give me anything I don't already have?

LegaleZy

Postby LegaleZy » Mon May 27, 2013 12:09 pm

Saw someone in the October LSAT thread discussing a re-take thread, so I thought I'd bump this if anyone is interested in making it live again

senioritis13

Postby senioritis13 » Mon May 27, 2013 2:39 pm

MY PEOPLE!

After getting rocked by the December '12, I'm back with a vengeance! I'm drilling RC now (-10 in December...pretty sure an ape could have guessed better than that), then to LR, then LG. Once I get my accuracy a bit improved and my timing back, I'm going straight to prep tests. This one's for all the beans.

OliveBC

Postby OliveBC » Tue May 28, 2013 11:40 am

We should get this thread going!!!

170 on the feb test. retaking for a 173+ in October (maybe December because I debated whether or not to retake for so long that I'm just now starting prep all over again. Taking a new baseline diagnostic tomorrow so we will see how that goes.

I'd love for this thread to get some more activity! I feel like retaking is a whole different game than the first time around.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Tue May 28, 2013 11:43 am

There really is no reason to have a separate retake thread...I mean, look at how successful the June study thread is- its mixed.

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Tue May 28, 2013 12:22 pm

rebexness wrote:There really is no reason to have a separate retake thread...I mean, look at how successful the June study thread is- its mixed.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”