October 2013 (re)take Thread

TheMostDangerousLG

Re: October 2013 (re)take Thread

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:51 pm

So I found some logic games, but my special LSAT silent timer is broken! I don't know how that could have happened. Is that an omen..? Ugh, can't believe I'm this far in and still superstitious!

Ambitious1

Postby Ambitious1 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:18 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
Ambitious1 wrote:I just finished 46-section 4-game 1 in 3 minutes 49 seconds. Fastest I've ever completed an LG game, I think.

Isn't that a great feeling? And even though you'll likely never be able to finish *every* game that quickly, anything shorter than 8:45 means you have "time in the bank" for another question in the section.

Definitely an amazing feeling. If only I could duplicate that kind of success in LR and RC :)

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:38 pm

Ambitious1 wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:
Ambitious1 wrote:I just finished 46-section 4-game 1 in 3 minutes 49 seconds. Fastest I've ever completed an LG game, I think.

Isn't that a great feeling? And even though you'll likely never be able to finish *every* game that quickly, anything shorter than 8:45 means you have "time in the bank" for another question in the section.

Definitely an amazing feeling. If only I could duplicate that kind of success in LR and RC :)

With time, you can replicate that consistently in LR. Completing an LR section with lots of time left feels as good as kicking a logic game's butt (completing an LR section with 10 minutes left will make you feel like a rockstar, if my experience is widely applicable).

Ambitious1

Postby Ambitious1 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:44 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
With time, you can replicate that consistently in LR. Completing an LR section with lots of time left feels as good as kicking a logic game's butt (completing an LR section with 10 minutes left will make you feel like a rockstar, if my experience is widely applicable).

I just hope it doesn't come at the expense of accuracy. I finished both LRs in June with minutes to spare, so the -13 combined felt like a kick to the groin.

I think the most important thing to do at this point is try to perfect my process and drill as many LR questions as I possibly can this next month. I used to go too slow in LR and ended up guessing on a few questions at the end of each section. Then I attempted to speed up and would finish sections with time left over, but would miss questions where I went too fast. I need to find a middle ground.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:46 pm

Soooo I just attempted PT 3's LG section (I'm going through sections I apparently had left to complete in the back of "Ace the LSAT Logic Games".. I don't really like when prep books contain whole PT sections and had decided to skip doing them here so I could do them in my own time [didn't realize it'd be six months later]). Brutal! I ended up quitting about ten minutes in. Decided that it'd make more sense to jump back into a more recent set of games instead of one of the early tests, where stuff is crazy funky. Already shook my confidence though! Hope I haven't forgotten everything, and it really was the game set that was weird.. I'm going to try completing a section from PT 15 or higher and see what happens.

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:58 pm

Ambitious1 wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:

I just hope it doesn't come at the expense of accuracy. I finished both LRs in June with minutes to spare, so the -13 combined felt like a kick to the groin.

I think the most important thing to do at this point is try to perfect my process and drill as many LR questions as I possibly can this next month. I used to go too slow in LR and ended up guessing on a few questions at the end of each section. Then I attempted to speed up and would finish sections with time left over, but would miss questions where I went too fast. I need to find a middle ground.

Remember, it's not the amount of questions that you do while you drill, it's the review process you have for going over those questions... You can drill 500 questions get 100 wrong, but if you dont review those 100 back and forth, you will repeat the same mistakes over and over again.

MrBlueSky!

Postby MrBlueSky! » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:38 pm

Last edited by MrBlueSky! on Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BFlanagan

Postby BFlanagan » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:44 pm

RC: read faster. I'm serious. -0/-2 RC scores. -2 on the real deal, and was pissed.

Reading material: you're kidding yourself if you think paraphrasing The Economist every day for 3 months is the way to beat RC. The Economist publishes pieces written by smart periodical writers. RC passages are written by field specific professional scholars. Why would you practice your batting against the minor league star everyday when game day is against the majors?? For my money, I'm paying Nolan Ryan to throw to me.

Want to get good at analyzing professional scholarship quickly? Start reading professional scholarship. Go to your nearest university library or ask your favorite professor for the title of a monograph (single subject book) he/she has written. Push through 20 minutes a day. That is all. The quality of your reading material is far, far more important than the quantity. If you did a PT schedule prior to this (re)take, you can sit for a few hours and read stuff. Quantity is not the problem. You need to get your brain trained to move through scholarly writing at a good clip.

1. Give yourself 25 minutes in a practice section to get a sense of the pace/quick thought process within which you must be operating to move through these passages/questions. You want time left.

2. You should be able to answer most of the questions without referencing the passage. [/b] TLS1776 noted this, but it was the kind of advice that doesn't really apply until the later stages of prep. If you're in this thread, you're at this stage haha. How do you do this? Practice #1, then do it again.

3. Also, the idea of looking at each passage as one long LR is really great. How long do you take to move through each LR question? Exactly. Don't let the sometimes convoluted nature of professional scholarship throw your game. If you can complete LR with minutes to spare and -2/-0 type scores, then there is absolutely no reason you can't do as well on RC. I promise.

4. Don't Think, React! Read your passage, move through it in a few minutes, then hit the questions. Answering questions on four passages? EASY. You can do 27 LR passages, right?

5. "In and Out." Get your points, and get out. I would venture to say 90% of smart folks are simply tripping themselves up/paralysis-analysis. 30 minutes can work for training LG sections, I think. But for RC, it is pace, pace, pace. You want minutes left in RC. Why? LG can get lengthy. Not necessarily more difficult, as we know, but simply "oh, this problem takes 10 minutes and there is nothing I can do about it." RC is reading 4 passages with 25 or so questions each and every time. Sure, some passages contain topics and ideas with which you're unfamiliar. But, hey, so does LR?! Exactly. You can get very close to the kind of LR consistency with RC.

6. Drilling method: to get a sense of the pace, again, I'd recommend doing 4 FULL RC sections...that is 4 PT's worth of RC back-to-back. A few others have recommended it, and it will/may burn you out for a day or two. But you really only need to do it once or twice and your mind will be "RC" trained forever. Kind of like that early day in your prep where you spent 4 hours in a row doing LG and the games clicked...

As a final note, I should say this: I initially found the LR wording to be extraordinarily poor. I knew almost instantly that LR questions were not written by professional scholars. Pros don't use conjunctions and phrasings in the artificially awkward manner that LR stims do. LR seems like it came from a bunch of mediocre Philosophy majors waiting on grad school (or something). But, when I first hit RC, I was pleasantly surprised. Each RC passage is taken from a real journal and produce by real, professional scholars: RC wants to be understood. The passages may contain difficult material, but they are very well written. The authors want to communicate with you, and not to confuse you like in LR. The passages may contain difficult material, but they are well written. Know this.

Credit: PhD. Feel free to ask questions. First post. Let's do this!

About me: Game day nerves destroyed my first 2 sections of June - everything looked like Chinese, my heart started to race, and all I could see was the hand of the guy next to me for the first 20 minutes. By the time I started to function like a human again, it was too late. I fumbled the first section, and that experience rolled into my second section. I foolishly decided to skip my warm-up section, and I paid the price. I am seriously considering two warm-up sections before October to ensure that Section 1 fells like Section 3.

the_pakalypse

Postby the_pakalypse » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:37 pm

MrBlueSky! wrote:The Pakalypse,

Can you talk about your approach towards LR and how often conditional logic comes up in questions? Also, what differences in studying did you make from your first 6MO study session in 2011 compared to your more recent study session?

I just got off 4 months straight with MLSAT in class and their books and will be retaking. MLSAT is a great company, no disrespect, just my personal performance on game day did not come through.

My PT average was 161, PT 69 = 154 (i know, yikes!)...RC has been a major weakness but I stayed consistent in my -10-12 ballpark on gameday. It was LR that threw me off. I am usually -5 and landed -12 on both sections, it was not pretty at all. LG is -0 and has always been. So I am looking to make up ground and get into 165+ and can see LR is where I need to make up points.

Thanks for any advice and assistance.

If you don't mind I'll post this in the main thread so other people can benefit off it as well:

I stopped over-thinking. Your performance at LG is most likely very good because you can see the sort of elegance behind LG -- it's almost like a complex math problem where the solution can be so simple and clean. If you do enough drilling, LR can become like that too. I did so much LR (and reviewed so much) that I didn't have to think and absolutely exhaust myself after every question -- it just sort of became automatic (at least for 1-7, 9-14, 22-25 - which are the easier questions usually)

There are probably a couple of reasons why your game day performance went down:

1) 161 average -- but what was your sample size? An average of 5 tests tells me something different than an average of 20 tests. (PS. Another pattern: average is an extremely important strong word in LR - it should be ringing off alarm bells every time you see it)
2) Did you do something differently on game day (consciously or not consciously)? You got a bit amped up, and went through things a bit too quickly/slowly. Did you stay consistent in your process?
3) If you did think you went along with your normal process, then most likely your process is weak and you just need to study more.

To do so, you need to be completely and brutally honest with yourself. Honest -- don't protect your ego. Did you do the Manhattan packages as well as you could have? Would a 180 scorer have done something differently? Were you diligent in your review -- or did you quickly check answers and move on to new questions, even if you didn't completely understand them? Did you make sure you understood a question type before moving onto something else? Did you try and identify patterns in the types of mistakes you were making? Did you make a plan to address those weaknesses? Did that plan work? If not, did you come up with another plan of action?

Did you have a solid strategy for each question? If I asked you right now to describe the differences between your mindset when solving a weaken question versus solving a MBT question, could you do so?

These are the questions you need to be consistently asking yourself. Learning is not just about repetition -- it's about targeted repetition, with plenty of feedback. To borrow from one of my favorite books (Moonwalking with Einstein), mediocre skaters practice jumps that they already know and are comfortable with -- above average skaters practice jumps that they find difficult.

As for conditional logic, you need to have it down cold. It's very simple once you practice enough. Manhattan's conditional logic sections are great -- I'd recommend going over them again. Powerscore conditional logic is also good.

Even though you scoring around 160 (so you may have this hope that you can still get quite a few questions wrong and be fine), you shouldn't be wishing that some question doesn't show up (i.e conditional logic). Be ready for anything. You're obviously a smart dude if you can -0 on LG. Don't sell yourself short on RC and LR. Aim for a 170. I'd recommend doing something similar to DD's guide, which involves a shit-ton of drilling. Good luck!

logicgames_darling

Postby logicgames_darling » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:41 pm

I've lurked around here for the longest time, but here's to finally registering and getting involved. I took the June test and performed 5 points below where my PTs led me to think I would be, ending up with a 162. It's still 10 points above my very first diagnostic, but nowhere near what I think my peak is. I think the problem mainly was that things just clicked too late for me. I found myself going up 6 points even in just the week before the LSAT, which just didn't transfer over to test day. It was a combination of things really, test day jitters and whatnot. So here's to taking October and getting that 170+ this time around!!

RC is currently the bane of my existence. I can consistently get -0/-1 on LG and between -3/-4 on LR, but RC is such a shot in the dark. By October I am determined to make it my "favorite" (or at least not most hated) section!!

RuleSubstitution

Postby RuleSubstitution » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:08 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Soooo I just attempted PT 3's LG section (I'm going through sections I apparently had left to complete in the back of "Ace the LSAT Logic Games".. I don't really like when prep books contain whole PT sections and had decided to skip doing them here so I could do them in my own time [didn't realize it'd be six months later]). Brutal! I ended up quitting about ten minutes in. Decided that it'd make more sense to jump back into a more recent set of games instead of one of the early tests, where stuff is crazy funky. Already shook my confidence though! Hope I haven't forgotten everything, and it really was the game set that was weird.. I'm going to try completing a section from PT 15 or higher and see what happens.

Are old games necessarily helpful? I guess you might as well be prepared for every contingency.

RuleSubstitution

Postby RuleSubstitution » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:19 pm

logicgames_darling wrote:I've lurked around here for the longest time, but here's to finally registering and getting involved. I took the June test and performed 5 points below where my PTs led me to think I would be, ending up with a 162. It's still 10 points above my very first diagnostic, but nowhere near what I think my peak is. I think the problem mainly was that things just clicked too late for me. I found myself going up 6 points even in just the week before the LSAT, which just didn't transfer over to test day. It was a combination of things really, test day jitters and whatnot. So here's to taking October and getting that 170+ this time around!!

RC is currently the bane of my existence. I can consistently get -0/-1 on LG and between -3/-4 on LR, but RC is such a shot in the dark. By October I am determined to make it my "favorite" (or at least not most hated) section!!

Another doppelganger. Similar ptest score-> real lsat score fail. My last ptest was 13 pts higher than my real thing: so disheartening. Logic games are hit and miss, but I am beginning to drill them over and over by type and follow the advice of some of the gunners on this forum. I made the mistake of thinking I can make up for my worst section and hope for the best. You really can't take anything for granted. There are tlsers here that ptested 175-180 and ended up barely passing the 170 threshold. You really have to master the process to score that well,especially if you tend to choke.

RuleSubstitution

Postby RuleSubstitution » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:21 pm

Ambitious1 wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:

Why can't you?

RuleSubstitution

Postby RuleSubstitution » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:27 pm

ThePakalypse should host a live Q&A. Call it: "Is this the end, or is this the pakalypse? Retaking the LSAT."

Edit: No pressure.

RuleSubstitution

Postby RuleSubstitution » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:29 pm

MrBlueSky! wrote:Pakalypse is The Prodigal Son.

Bump

Edit: As far as I know he could be in that he earned the ultimate forgiveness after studying for a retake: 180. He endured after his first take, and achieved true TLS grace. There is evidence that he disappeared from the forums at some point. And his tar... literal prodigal son
Last edited by RuleSubstitution on Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

logicgames_darling

Postby logicgames_darling » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:32 pm

RuleSubstitution wrote:
logicgames_darling wrote:I've lurked around here for the longest time, but here's to finally registering and getting involved. I took the June test and performed 5 points below where my PTs led me to think I would be, ending up with a 162. It's still 10 points above my very first diagnostic, but nowhere near what I think my peak is. I think the problem mainly was that things just clicked too late for me. I found myself going up 6 points even in just the week before the LSAT, which just didn't transfer over to test day. It was a combination of things really, test day jitters and whatnot. So here's to taking October and getting that 170+ this time around!!

Another doppelganger. Similar ptest score-> real lsat score fail. My last ptest was 13 pts higher than my real thing: so disheartening. Logic games are hit and miss, but I am beginning to drill them over and over by type and follow the advice of some of the gunners on this forum. I made the mistake of thinking I can make up for my worst section and hope for the best. You really can't take anything for granted. There are tlsers here that ptested 175-180 and ended up barely passing the 170 threshold. You really have to master the process to score that well,especially if you tend to choke.

It's so true, which sucks. I read another post on someone on here who was saying that they are going to try and get their PT average to at least six points above where they actually want to score. Sounds like a good idea to me, since even if you underperform then you'll be in a good spot. Heck on that train of thought, why not shoot for a 180? Might become my new goal, haha.

I was the same way as you in that, for whatever reason I simply hoped that things wouldn't get the best of me on test day. But now that the first run is out of the way, retaking honestly doesn't seen nearly as stressful in terms of knowing how that day will go. At least not yet.

RuleSubstitution

Postby RuleSubstitution » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:48 pm

LG Darling, good luck. I am considering taking Dec. to aim for just that. Anyone is free to join me...as in make the thread. Dec is (edit: in general) supposed to be a more difficult test with a more lenient scale conversion, but those extra months can give you more time to drill and analyze qs until you can essentially teach the damn thing. Knowing the test on that level seems to be very benefitial (of course).
Last edited by RuleSubstitution on Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maplecai

Postby maplecai » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:52 pm

Third-time retaker checks in.
Based on my past experience, I was rather good at real-battle performance. And I was always PTing well. But the score gave me a great slap, twice :evil: . Well I guess that's why LSAT is such a magical test that you just cannot let go of.

RuleSubstitution

Postby RuleSubstitution » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:53 pm

I like this.
BFlanagan wrote:RC: read faster. I'm serious. -0/-2 RC scores. -2 on the real deal, and was pissed.

Reading material: you're kidding yourself if you think paraphrasing The Economist every day for 3 months is the way to beat RC. The Economist publishes pieces written by smart periodical writers. RC passages are written by field specific professional scholars. Why would you practice your batting against the minor league star everyday when game day is against the majors?? For my money, I'm paying Nolan Ryan to throw to me.

Want to get good at analyzing professional scholarship quickly? Start reading professional scholarship. Go to your nearest university library or ask your favorite professor for the title of a monograph (single subject book) he/she has written. Push through 20 minutes a day. That is all. The quality of your reading material is far, far more important than the quantity. If you did a PT schedule prior to this (re)take, you can sit for a few hours and read stuff. Quantity is not the problem. You need to get your brain trained to move through scholarly writing at a good clip.

1. Give yourself 25 minutes in a practice section to get a sense of the pace/quick thought process within which you must be operating to move through these passages/questions. You want time left.

2. You should be able to answer most of the questions without referencing the passage. [/b] TLS1776 noted this, but it was the kind of advice that doesn't really apply until the later stages of prep. If you're in this thread, you're at this stage haha. How do you do this? Practice #1, then do it again.

3. Also, the idea of looking at each passage as one long LR is really great. How long do you take to move through each LR question? Exactly. Don't let the sometimes convoluted nature of professional scholarship throw your game. If you can complete LR with minutes to spare and -2/-0 type scores, then there is absolutely no reason you can't do as well on RC. I promise.

4. Don't Think, React! Read your passage, move through it in a few minutes, then hit the questions. Answering questions on four passages? EASY. You can do 27 LR passages, right?

5. "In and Out." Get your points, and get out. I would venture to say 90% of smart folks are simply tripping themselves up/paralysis-analysis. 30 minutes can work for training LG sections, I think. But for RC, it is pace, pace, pace. You want minutes left in RC. Why? LG can get lengthy. Not necessarily more difficult, as we know, but simply "oh, this problem takes 10 minutes and there is nothing I can do about it." RC is reading 4 passages with 25 or so questions each and every time. Sure, some passages contain topics and ideas with which you're unfamiliar. But, hey, so does LR?! Exactly. You can get very close to the kind of LR consistency with RC.

6. Drilling method: to get a sense of the pace, again, I'd recommend doing 4 FULL RC sections...that is 4 PT's worth of RC back-to-back. A few others have recommended it, and it will/may burn you out for a day or two. But you really only need to do it once or twice and your mind will be "RC" trained forever. Kind of like that early day in your prep where you spent 4 hours in a row doing LG and the games clicked...

As a final note, I should say this: I initially found the LR wording to be extraordinarily poor. I knew almost instantly that LR questions were not written by professional scholars. Pros don't use conjunctions and phrasings in the artificially awkward manner that LR stims do. LR seems like it came from a bunch of mediocre Philosophy majors waiting on grad school (or something). But, when I first hit RC, I was pleasantly surprised. Each RC passage is taken from a real journal and produce by real, professional scholars: RC wants to be understood. The passages may contain difficult material, but they are very well written. The authors want to communicate with you, and not to confuse you like in LR. The passages may contain difficult material, but they are well written. Know this.

Credit: PhD. Feel free to ask questions. First post. Let's do this!

About me: Game day nerves destroyed my first 2 sections of June - everything looked like Chinese, my heart started to race, and all I could see was the hand of the guy next to me for the first 20 minutes. By the time I started to function like a human again, it was too late. I fumbled the first section, and that experience rolled into my second section. I foolishly decided to skip my warm-up section, and I paid the price. I am seriously considering two warm-up sections before October to ensure that Section 1 fells like Section 3.

RuleSubstitution

Postby RuleSubstitution » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:55 pm

maplecai wrote:Third-time retaker checks in.
Based on my past experience, I was rather good at real-battle performance. And I was always PTing well. But the score gave me a great slap, twice :evil: . Well I guess that's why LSAT is such a magical test that you just cannot let go of.

Thinking it is magical or special is a sure way to fuck up; it's actually a giant white sperm whale.

the_pakalypse

Postby the_pakalypse » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:10 pm

RuleSubstitution wrote:ThePakalypse should host a live Q&A. Call it: "Is this the end, or is this the pakalypse? Retaking the LSAT."

Edit: No pressure.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

the_pakalypse

Postby the_pakalypse » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:13 pm

RuleSubstitution wrote:

Bump

Edit: As far as I know he could be in that he earned the ultimate forgiveness after studying for a retake: 180. He endured after his first take, and achieved true TLS grace. There is evidence that he disappeared from the forums at some point. And his tar... literal prodigal son

:lol:

My past posts have been stalked on TLS. Achievement unlocked?

the_pakalypse

Postby the_pakalypse » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:14 pm

RuleSubstitution wrote:
maplecai wrote:Third-time retaker checks in.

Thinking it is magical or special is a sure way to fuck up; it's actually a giant white sperm whale.

It's a great test. Let us all be thankful that we get such a well designed test. I don't think anyone cares more about the quality of its tests than LSAC.

RuleSubstitution

Postby RuleSubstitution » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:26 pm

the_pakalypse wrote:
RuleSubstitution wrote:

Bump

:lol:

My past posts have been stalked on TLS. Achievement unlocked?

If only that was sufficient to absorb your LSAT powers...

Hopefully your posts will be aggregated at some point.

Edit: How outrageously cool would it be for Noodley, Pithy Pike, and the_pakalypse to get together for a live LSAT discussion!?

RuleSubstitution

Postby RuleSubstitution » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:54 pm

aboutmydaylight wrote:Joining you guys. 168 June 2013 first time take. -0LG -3RC -11LR. Need to get more consistent with LR. I've had -0s but I've also had -6s on PTs which means I'm guessing too much; the variance is too high. Unfortunately, June was one of those bad LR days.

How are you personally going to approach your LR variance problem? Just drill baby, drill?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”