October 2013 (re)take Thread Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
isuperserial

Silver

Re: October 2013 (re)take Thread

Post by isuperserial » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:02 am

caffedriade wrote:I've been a lurker and I think the retake thread can teach me more about the LSAT than the regular Oct 2013 thread just because (1) test anxiety is a huge handicap for me, and the retakers have already faced it, and (2) I've been studying since effing February and I've plateaued in the high 160s (would like the high 170s on the PTs) so obviously I'm a n00b but sadly has studied probably longer than many retakers D';

A popular reason many retakers attribute their lower than expected performance is test anxiety. Retakers, what do you plan on doing now to prepare for it come October?
Fancy seeing you here, buddy! Welcome.

Ambitious1

Bronze

Post by Ambitious1 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:33 pm

LR gurus:

PT13 S4 Q18: Got (B) correct by eliminating four horrible ACs. But how can you infer B? You can certainly infer that there are some medical conditions for which no orthodox treatment is effective, but how can you infer that there are some conditions that ALTERNATIVE treatments are not effective? I'm not seeing it. That part of the answer choice seems like a huge leap from the stimulus.

jitsubruin

New

Post by jitsubruin » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:25 pm

Alternative medicine has no effects at all while orthodox medicine is ineffective in treating some ailments while not finding a cure for other serious ailments. Thus B can be inferred.

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:54 pm

Good luck to everyone! :)

LegaleZy

New

Post by LegaleZy » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:19 am

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Starting an MLSAT Live Online Course Monday and took the June 2007 LSAT as a diagnostic this evening. I scored a 157! I know that's a pretty crappy score, but allow me to elaborate. On the December 2012 LSAT I scored a 146 with very limited prep. I have yet to hard core prep aside from stolen moments on a lunch break at work or and hour or two each day with one of the PowerScore Bibles. Overall I've maybe dedicated a week to studying which is why I'm so excited for the 11 point increase from December to this PT. Maybe my goal of a 170+ in October isn't so much of a long shot after all :D Happy Studying!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:02 am

Anyone having difficulties getting motivaton back? I'm sinking into *why bother I'm not going to get better* territory and its scaring me.

Dr.Zer0

Silver

Post by Dr.Zer0 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:05 am

Question ...I've been drilling Cambridge LG's all week along with my PS LG Bible all week M-S 9-3. This is the first week I I started studying since the Dec'12 LSAT...Do you guys think I should schedule a day off from prep or just do 7days a week this early in my studies? I just want to avoid burnout :lol:

AT9

Gold

Post by AT9 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:09 am

Hi everyone. Count me in on this thread. Scored a 163 on my first attempt in June - aiming again for high 160's and dreaming for 170+.

LegaleZy

New

Post by LegaleZy » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:14 am

@Dr.Zer0, my advice is do what feels best to you. If you're current schedule works for you stick with it. I choose to take a break---1/2 break usually on Sunday, where instead of doing LSAT related work for the usual amount of time I may only do an hour or two. The rest of the day I just take it easy. I'm able to have a break while also feel like I'm being productive.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LegaleZy

New

Post by LegaleZy » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:18 am

okaygo wrote:Anyone having difficulties getting motivaton back? I'm sinking into *why bother I'm not going to get better* territory and its scaring me.
Felt the same exact way and sometimes I still feel that way. What works for me is relishing the little improvements. I used to get frustrated when I didn't see huge gains, but I've learned to get excited over getting one extra point on a PT or not missing all the harder questions. It's hard, but you just have to keep telling yourself you will get better. It may not happen as fast as you want, but you'll get there.

johmica

New

Post by johmica » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:03 am

LegaleZy wrote:
okaygo wrote:Anyone having difficulties getting motivaton back? I'm sinking into *why bother I'm not going to get better* territory and its scaring me.
Felt the same exact way and sometimes I still feel that way. What works for me is relishing the little improvements. I used to get frustrated when I didn't see huge gains, but I've learned to get excited over getting one extra point on a PT or not missing all the harder questions. It's hard, but you just have to keep telling yourself you will get better. It may not happen as fast as you want, but you'll get there.

I'm trying to avoid thinking about the consequences/gains of studying/not studying. I just want a couple of hours of LSAT prep to become a natural component of my day. I take a shower, I go to work, I eat eat three meals, I work out, and I study for the LSAT. The improvements will come naturally if I just put in the time. So at this point, it's not really a matter of being motivated. It's just a matter of establishing a habit.

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:48 am

johmica wrote:
LegaleZy wrote:

I'm trying to avoid thinking about the consequences/gains of studying/not studying. I just want a couple of hours of LSAT prep to become a natural component of my day. I take a shower, I go to work, I eat eat three meals, I work out, and I study for the LSAT. The improvements will come naturally if I just put in the time. So at this point, it's not really a matter of being motivated. It's just a matter of establishing a habit.
Ahhh I love that mentality. Nice to have some good advice on here.

Dr.Zer0

Silver

Post by Dr.Zer0 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:54 pm

I've come across this problem before as well and what keeps me motivated are some of the inspiring words from fellow TLS users such as the following:

For the next 6 months to 9 months of your life, someone's going to pay you 200k in the short term, and 2.5m+ in the long term to study for the LSAT. That's like winning the frigging lottery by putting in a few hours a day of effort max.-TLS user

"This test is the most important thing that you have done in your life up to this point. It will decide what school you go to, what town you live in, what people you will hangout with and who you marry, what jobs you will get, the area you will work in, what kind of debt you will have, and ultimately decide the course of your life from here on out. The slightest error could change everything.

This is what you have been studying endless hours for.

It's time." - TLS user

I've spent the past 24 hours of my life questioning everything from my own abilities, to gods existence. I truly believe things happen for a reason and my next step is to be thankful I got a good kick in the rear before it was too late. Time to start studying for June, and I'm motivated more than ever-anon

Putting forth the work necessary to actually achieve something requires you to put yourself out there, and that's something that most people aren't willing to do. They'd much rather stay in their own bubble and constantly reassure themselves that IF they did choose to try, the results would be amazing. This is why we have so many special snowflakes. All these people who have convinced themselves that they would accomplish great things if they decided to, but are secretly too afraid to do anything because it might reveal how mediocre they really are. -anon

A positive attitude is perhaps the most underrated factor in LSAT success. Virtually all high-scoring students expect to do well on the LSAT, and this mind set helps them avoid distractions during the exam, and it helps them overcome any adversity they might face- ???

Hope that helps =)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RoaringMice

Bronze

Post by RoaringMice » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:36 pm

I am torn about retaking in October. I know I will retake, but I might postpone the retake until December or June, and then apply in the following admissions cycle. I don't feel I have enough time to prep before October, between my full time work, my part time work, and the classes I'm taking myself. December, I could probably do. But October isn't enough time.

MrBlueSky!

New

Post by MrBlueSky! » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:26 pm

Last edited by MrBlueSky! on Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clarity

Bronze

Post by Clarity » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:30 am

To buy or not to buy the PTs of the LSATs I took, that is the question.
MrBlueSky! wrote:To anyone who retook and had more than 6 months between official tests..can you describe how much ground you had to make up during the 2nd go of studying just to get back to your PT average from your first go around? In other words, how much ground does one lose by delaying an official retake by 6 months to a year. Torn between going all in on October vs. waiting til next June, aware of cycle differences.
How much time do you have to study for October?

Anyone planning on retaking the PT of the test that caused you to be retaking? I am debating whether I should go down that road or not.

PatriotP74

Silver

Post removed...

Post by PatriotP74 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:39 am

Post removed...
Last edited by PatriotP74 on Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RuleSubstitution

New

Post by RuleSubstitution » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:56 am

chizzy

Silver

Post by chizzy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:29 am

so far, ive been using manhattan RC and it has been really helpful. they do a good job in helping find the arguement for the passage and to see the structure. the book is not too long but they have lots of drills that helps you to apply their method and they give full explanations after the drill.
PatriotP74 wrote:Got a 159 on June. Honestly expected it, want to get to 165 plus by this October, only used prep tests for study for the June test. RC is my weakest -11 others are spread evenly -6 -7 should i settle with crappy RC and try to perfect LG and LR or really focus on getting that RC down? Im planning on ordering books this week, what does everyone here suggest/plan on buying for RC? I assume everyone suggests the Bibles for LG and LR, but any other suggestions Manhattan, power-score?

Thanks!

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:11 am

Clarity wrote:To buy or not to buy the PTs of the LSATs I took, that is the question.
MrBlueSky! wrote:To anyone who retook and had more than 6 months between official tests..can you describe how much ground you had to make up during the 2nd go of studying just to get back to your PT average from your first go around? In other words, how much ground does one lose by delaying an official retake by 6 months to a year. Torn between going all in on October vs. waiting til next June, aware of cycle differences.
How much time do you have to study for October?

Anyone planning on retaking the PT of the test that caused you to be retaking? I am debating whether I should go down that road or not.
Yeah! Saving it for almost last though.

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:27 am

Checking into the retake thread. 166 on first take, 167 on second, despite much higher PTs. Just picked up my first LSAT in a month, and going to buy the LSAT Trainer later as well.

I printed PT 49 just now and opened it to make sure it didn't look too familiar. Opened it to an in and out game. I kinda missed this shit

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

objection_your_honor

Silver

Post by objection_your_honor » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:34 pm

I did (half of) 49 last night. The LG seemed brand new, but LR was pretty familiar. I missed an early LR question that burned up nearly 4 mins of my time. Kind of disturbing.

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:06 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:I did (half of) 49 last night. The LG seemed brand new, but LR was pretty familiar. I missed an early LR question that burned up nearly 4 mins of my time. Kind of disturbing.
I did PT 69 yesterday afternoon, ended up with a 174 (actual score was 169). That test was a lot harder than I had remembered, and I definitely have some LSAT rust. I'll resume studying tomorrow night or Thursday probably. I'll probably pick up LSAT trainer as well. Hopefully that will help get me back into LSAT form and maybe I'll even pick up a few useful tips.

Should I bother picking up LR Manhattan? I usually end up -0 to -2 per section there at this point, so should I just see how LSAT trainer goes first?

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:11 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:
Should I bother picking up LR Manhattan? I usually end up -0 to -2 per section there at this point, so should I just see how LSAT trainer goes first?
If there's a section where your miss rate is consistently "down in the noise" (i.e. you routinely go -0 to -2), I would honestly suggest you spend your time elsewhere first. If you're that consistent in LR, then the points you're losing aren't because you don't understand a particular question type, or anything quick and simple to fix like that.
Last edited by ScottRiqui on Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:19 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:
objection_your_honor wrote:I did (half of) 49 last night. The LG seemed brand new, but LR was pretty familiar. I missed an early LR question that burned up nearly 4 mins of my time. Kind of disturbing.
I did PT 69 yesterday afternoon, ended up with a 174 (actual score was 169). That test was a lot harder than I had remembered, and I definitely have some LSAT rust. I'll resume studying tomorrow night or Thursday probably. I'll probably pick up LSAT trainer as well. Hopefully that will help get me back into LSAT form and maybe I'll even pick up a few useful tips.

With missing that few questions I think LR Manhattan would be a waste of your money.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”