October 2013 (re)take Thread Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
LegaleZy

New

October 2013 (re)take Thread

Post by LegaleZy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:58 pm

A thread designed for all those preparing the crush the LSAT on October 5, 2013.

I know it's early, but I've seen several posters discussing their plans to take the October LSAT, so I thought I'd create this thread. I've lurked on TLS for some time now and I'm looking forward to actually being a part of the TLS community. I took the LSAT for the first time in December and I'm not happy with my score. However, that score has simply motivated me to destroy the LSAT in October. I will graduate from UG early this year allowing me plenty of time to dedicate my full attention to the LSAT. I will love the LSAT and the LSAT will love me. I'm looking forward to this thread being a source of support for all October 2013 test takers.

bluedawn03

New

Re: October 2013 (re)take Thread

Post by bluedawn03 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:06 pm

Checking in with the early folks!
Studied for 4 months prior to the December 2012 LSAT and was averaging in the low 160's. I ended up scoring under 155 on the real thing due to... well I don't really know! Lol... all I know is that RC and my 2nd LR section ate me up alive.

But the LSAT hasn't got the best of me yet and we will either fight to the end or fall desperately in love, but this isn't over!!

My goal for October is 175+ (go hard or go home mentality!). I work full-time so my studying schedule will be spread out, but I plan on reviewing the Powerscore LR & LG bibles and then taking on the Velocity online course. Will come up with a complete study plan in the next two weeks.

Let's do this!

LegaleZy

New

Post by LegaleZy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:20 pm

I scored a 146 :( I won't make excuses, but taking 18 credit hours of intense courses, working 20 hours a week, and being an active member of on campus organizations, was probably not the best course of action. I didn't really start intense studying until October and by then it was too late. My goal this time around is 172. I know it'll take a lot of work, but I'm prepared. RC is my best section, but LG kills me every time and LR fluctuates. But we've got plenty of time to turn the sections we're worst at into those we're best at. I'm trying to put together a study schedule and gather up all the suggested guides now. Hopefully by next Monday the LSAT and I can begin our courtship.

objection_your_honor

Silver

Post by objection_your_honor » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:34 pm

If I don't hit 173+ in June, I'll be taking in October.
Last edited by objection_your_honor on Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fiera

New

Post by Fiera » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:37 am

I'll probably be here. I was PTing low 170s and got a 165 because I utterly bombed the LG section. :( I can't believe I have to postpone law school for another year!

Anyways--hi guys. Lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cloudhidden

Bronze

Post by cloudhidden » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:28 am

Fiera wrote:I'll probably be here. I was PTing low 170s and got a 165 because I utterly bombed the LG section. :( I can't believe I have to postpone law school for another year!

Anyways--hi guys. Lol.
Right there with you, 165 on test day, 171 average on my last six PTs. I missed the last six LG questions. I felt absolutely crushed after the test because I knew I had locked up on the last game. Getting the score back was anticlimatic.

I feel angry as hell now because I used up all the PTs and most of the recent ones twice. Probably going to retake in October, give myself time to forget some of those PTs, and retake with a vengeance. It would be my third retake (first one took place in 2010).

I have come to realize that the best strategy is to study your ass off for June then have October as your backup and December as the ace in the hole. Your score really can fluctuate 5+ points from test to test, even after exhaustive studying. It's smart to just play the odds. Unfortunately, I don't have that luxury anymore. I might end up the first person I know to have taken it five times. God help us!

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:18 pm

cloudhidden wrote:
Fiera wrote:I'll probably be here. I was PTing low 170s and got a 165 because I utterly bombed the LG section. :( I can't believe I have to postpone law school for another year!

Anyways--hi guys. Lol.
Right there with you, 165 on test day, 171 average on my last six PTs. I missed the last six LG questions. I felt absolutely crushed after the test because I knew I had locked up on the last game. Getting the score back was anticlimatic.

I feel angry as hell now because I used up all the PTs and most of the recent ones twice. Probably going to retake in October, give myself time to forget some of those PTs, and retake with a vengeance. It would be my third retake (first one took place in 2010).

I have come to realize that the best strategy is to study your ass off for June then have October as your backup and December as the ace in the hole. Your score really can fluctuate 5+ points from test to test, even after exhaustive studying. It's smart to just play the odds. Unfortunately, I don't have that luxury anymore. I might end up the first person I know to have taken it five times. God help us!
Yep, that's where I'm at. Really trying to have an LSAT-stress-free summer, even though I guess the month of June will be most stressful of all (final studying and then the wait...)

cloudhidden

Bronze

Post by cloudhidden » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:06 pm

weathercoins wrote:
cloudhidden wrote:

Anyways--hi guys. Lol.

Yep, that's where I'm at. Really trying to have an LSAT-stress-free summer, even though I guess the month of June will be most stressful of all (final studying and then the wait...)

I'm going to take like a month or two to decide whether June or October. I already tread cautiously with a fourth attempt and don't want to make it five. I would need total confidence before I make another go at. Although, I assume the way things are going that even top schools would take the highest score no matter how many times you take it. We might be on the verge of the first wave of people taking this test more than four times, that's a scary thought.

LegaleZy

New

Post by LegaleZy » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:14 pm

My plan is to self-study now because there is little pressure since I won't be rushing to take the exam. Take a prep-course from July until October and then hopefully kill the exam. If I underperform I will re-take in December. However, I'm hoping and praying I will never have to sit for the LSAT after October. I plan on ordering the MLSAT prep books, powerscore bibles, and Cambridge LSAT bundle with exams organized by type. I'm following NoodleyOne's Foolproof Guide to a 179 for Retakers in hopes familiarity with the exam and understanding of mistakes will allow me to a much better score. I hate that I'm putting off law school for a year, but I'd much rather get up my score and have a shot at a great law school than simply go to law school anywhere.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

paranormal

New

Post by paranormal » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:27 am

Checking in... I'll be taking the LSAT for the first time this October.
Good luck to us all!

cricketlove00

Silver

Post by cricketlove00 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:36 pm

bluedawn03 wrote:Checking in with the early folks!
Studied for 4 months prior to the December 2012 LSAT and was averaging in the low 160's. I ended up scoring under 155 on the real thing due to... well I don't really know! Lol... all I know is that RC and my 2nd LR section ate me up alive.

But the LSAT hasn't got the best of me yet and we will either fight to the end or fall desperately in love, but this isn't over!!

My goal for October is 175+ (go hard or go home mentality!). I work full-time so my studying schedule will be spread out, but I plan on reviewing the Powerscore LR & LG bibles and then taking on the Velocity online course. Will come up with a complete study plan in the next two weeks.

Let's do this!
This is almost exactly my situation. I felt like last time everything was so rushed and I honestly don't believe I was ready.

LegaleZy

New

Post by LegaleZy » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:45 pm

Just got my first batch of prep materials including the MLSAT guides. I'm really looking forward to (hopefully) finally understanding LG.

Njdeh

New

Post by Njdeh » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:52 pm

Checking in! I've already started my prep for it. Good luck to all!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cricketlove00

Silver

Post by cricketlove00 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:27 pm

Been getting into a good rhythm with my studying this weekend. Drilling assumption questions like whoa. Doing alright until I get to the really difficult questions.

Good luck with studying everyone :)

LegaleZy

New

Post by LegaleZy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:37 pm

I'm working my way through the MLSAT Logic Games Guide and feel like I'm finally getting logic games. I'm taking baby steps. I'm still on basic ordering, but just understanding how to make inferences is a huge accomplishment and a step in the right direction. I'm looking forward to making more progress in getting closer to that 170+ :mrgreen:

eric922

Bronze

Post by eric922 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:59 pm

If I don't get at least a 170 in June I'll be joining you all, hell if I don't get a 175 I'll probably be joining you all.

cricketlove00

Silver

Post by cricketlove00 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:24 pm

Logic games is the most learnable section, I think, so I hope it clicks for you soon. They went from being my least favorite section to becoming something I actually do for fun (except for ones like Zones. That is definitely not fun).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

keosu11

Bronze

Post by keosu11 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:17 pm

I'll be taking it for the first time in October.

If anyone in the DC area is looking for someone to study with let me know.

cricketlove00

Silver

Post by cricketlove00 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:59 am

Worked on difficult assumption questions all weekend. The sufficient assumption ones are killing me :(

Threw in a few easy logic games to keep myself sane. I wish the whole test was logic games.

LegaleZy

New

Post by LegaleZy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:08 pm

cricketlove00 wrote:Worked on difficult assumption questions all weekend. The sufficient assumption ones are killing me :(

Threw in a few easy logic games to keep myself sane. I wish the whole test was logic games.
And I'd be good with the entire test being RC and LR, though I did just finish my first simple ordering game without missing any, so maybe once I go an entire section of LG at -0 I may feel differently.

cricketlove00

Silver

Post by cricketlove00 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:04 am

LegaleZy wrote:
cricketlove00 wrote:Worked on difficult assumption questions all weekend. The sufficient assumption ones are killing me :(

And I'd be good with the entire test being RC and LR, though I did just finish my first simple ordering game without missing any, so maybe once I go an entire section of LG at -0 I may feel differently.
The logic games used to be my least favorite part, but eventually you do enough of them and just click. Focus on making as many deductions as possible in your diagram. If you've made the right deductions, you'll breeze through some of the questions. The more difficult questions are the ones which start with "If" because you'll probably have to re draw it again and again.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bondja

New

Post by bondja » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:42 pm

I'm checking in as well. Took the June 2012 test, scored -20 from where I was testing, and am now preparing to take the October one! This will be my second time taking it this October and I'm a little nervous I should take the June one as well but I don't want to take 3 LSAT tests. I've been out of this place since June and didn't know if that was still taboo or not. Any help? :mrgreen:

LegaleZy

New

Post by LegaleZy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:28 pm

bondja wrote:I'm checking in as well. Took the June 2012 test, scored -20 from where I was testing, and am now preparing to take the October one! This will be my second time taking it this October and I'm a little nervous I should take the June one as well but I don't want to take 3 LSAT tests. I've been out of this place since June and didn't know if that was still taboo or not. Any help? :mrgreen:
I would say just do whatever you're most comfortable with whether that's June or October, regardless of any taboo (not that I'm aware of on). If you're PT-ing where you want to be consistently before the June exam go with June, if not October.

LegaleZy

New

Post by LegaleZy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:26 pm

Continuing to work throught MLSAT Logic Games Guide. I've been reading the chapters and then drilling using Cambirdge Games by Type. I just need to figure out how to get the timing down. Is it better to time focus on timing full sections or individual games, or do both?

cricketlove00

Silver

Post by cricketlove00 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:30 am

LegaleZy wrote:Continuing to work throught MLSAT Logic Games Guide. I've been reading the chapters and then drilling using Cambirdge Games by Type. I just need to figure out how to get the timing down. Is it better to time focus on timing full sections or individual games, or do both?
I always thought it was better to time full sections because then you can see that the first two games can be done under the 8 minutes so you can bank time for the last two. Just keep drilling - it'll come young grasshopper.

Also, are you making tons of deductions up front? I found that making as many deductions as I possibly could with my master sketch really saved time weeding through the questions.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”