February or June

User avatar
simplycatalina
Posts: 949
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:41 pm

February or June

Postby simplycatalina » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:14 pm

Got a 159 in October and a 160 in December. Extremely disappointed.

My PT average was 172ish. I have used up all of my prep material (Blueprint, Manhattan, Powerscore, tons of PTs). I know I need to retake but I'm not sure when to do it/how to even go about approaching it.

I'm not sure if I should take February or June...

Any advice appreciated.

User avatar
boblawlob
Posts: 524
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: February or June

Postby boblawlob » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:16 pm

June or even consider October for the chance of a better curve.

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: February or June

Postby wtrc » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:39 pm

boblawlob wrote:June or even consider October for the chance of a better curve.


Not how it works. But yeah, June.

User avatar
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Re: February or June

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:42 pm

weathercoins wrote:
boblawlob wrote:June or even consider October for the chance of a better curve.


Not how it works. But yeah, June.


June, and then you'll have October if you poop your pants.

User avatar
simplycatalina
Posts: 949
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:41 pm

Re: February or June

Postby simplycatalina » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:48 pm

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:
weathercoins wrote:
boblawlob wrote:June or even consider October for the chance of a better curve.


Not how it works. But yeah, June.


June, and then you'll have October if you poop your pants.


This will be my third take so no, I don't have October.

alex.feuerman
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:32 pm

Re: February or June

Postby alex.feuerman » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:19 pm

cbarlow1016 wrote:Got a 159 in October and a 160 in December. Extremely disappointed.

My PT average was 172ish. I have used up all of my prep material (Blueprint, Manhattan, Powerscore, tons of PTs). I know I need to retake but I'm not sure when to do it/how to even go about approaching it.

I'm not sure if I should take February or June...

Any advice appreciated.


Personally, I think February. I don't understand how you could score a 160 if you were consistently PT'ing 172. Clearly you got way too stressed / did something wrong. I don't think this is about you studying more, you are clearly ready NOW (if you were PTing 172) and the more time you let go by the more the material and tecniques you have learned will slip away.

Others might disagree but I really very much think performing is about mindset. You need to be calm, confident and positive when going in. Clearly you CAN achieve the results you want, you just didn't, and have to ask yourself why. PM me if you wanna talk more about this

bananashotgun
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:55 pm

Re: February or June

Postby bananashotgun » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:30 pm

really similar situation. PTs were around 170 and i felt really good during the test, walked out expecting 168 on the low end to 173 and ended up with a 164. already took it once as a lark which looking back was a big mistake because i only have 1 retake left.

User avatar
boblawlob
Posts: 524
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: February or June

Postby boblawlob » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:38 pm

weathercoins wrote:
boblawlob wrote:June or even consider October for the chance of a better curve.


Not how it works. But yeah, June.

It's not how it works, but mentally getting -10 sounds more daunting than getting -12 (despite everything being equated and all). So it's a matter of can I absolutely hit my PT score +/-2 by June. If not, delay. Delaying is always your best choice under uncertainty.

User avatar
simplycatalina
Posts: 949
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:41 pm

Re: February or June

Postby simplycatalina » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:22 pm

boblawlob wrote:
weathercoins wrote:
boblawlob wrote:June or even consider October for the chance of a better curve.


Not how it works. But yeah, June.

It's not how it works, but mentally getting -10 sounds more daunting than getting -12 (despite everything being equated and all). So it's a matter of can I absolutely hit my PT score +/-2 by June. If not, delay. Delaying is always your best choice under uncertainty.


If I think I could do it by February, would it make sense to apply now and tell them to wait for the February score? Or is that too late for most schools anyway?

User avatar
boblawlob
Posts: 524
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: February or June

Postby boblawlob » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:42 pm

cbarlow1016 wrote:
boblawlob wrote:
weathercoins wrote:
boblawlob wrote:June or even consider October for the chance of a better curve.


Not how it works. But yeah, June.

It's not how it works, but mentally getting -10 sounds more daunting than getting -12 (despite everything being equated and all). So it's a matter of can I absolutely hit my PT score +/-2 by June. If not, delay. Delaying is always your best choice under uncertainty.


If I think I could do it by February, would it make sense to apply now and tell them to wait for the February score? Or is that too late for most schools anyway?

You could do that. But just remember that if you take Feb, you're done with the LSAT and you have to wait another two years to retake the LSAT.

Everyone says June. If you want ignore everyone and take February, then sign up for February right now. Study for the LSAT as if you were going to take Feb, but don't take PT after PT just to see if you can bump up the scoring in PT, but review PTs thoroughly. If come day before the test you don't feel confident in scoring 170s with only 1 or 2 high 160s anomalies, then withdraw from Feb. Then prepare for the next cycle.

User avatar
simplycatalina
Posts: 949
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:41 pm

Re: February or June

Postby simplycatalina » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:01 pm

I agree with everybody and ideally I'd do June but I work full time and I'm afraid that it's going to be very difficult to keep up the prep until then. I also have a lot going on in my life between now and June so I'm concerned about being able to devote enough time to prep. I agree that I should keep up the prep until February, review PTs, and then make a decision about whether or not I'm ready.

User avatar
naillsat
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:48 pm

Re: February or June

Postby naillsat » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:33 pm

cbarlow1016 wrote:I agree with everybody and ideally I'd do June but I work full time and I'm afraid that it's going to be very difficult to keep up the prep until then. I also have a lot going on in my life between now and June so I'm concerned about being able to devote enough time to prep. I agree that I should keep up the prep until February, review PTs, and then make a decision about whether or not I'm ready.


Similar situation to mine: have a full time job and a 2-year old kid (but my wife does most of the babysitting). I also have my last shot left within the 2-year limit. June sounds too far, but Feb sounds too close to get a significant improvement.

User avatar
simplycatalina
Posts: 949
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:41 pm

Re: February or June

Postby simplycatalina » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:40 pm

naillsat wrote:
cbarlow1016 wrote:I agree with everybody and ideally I'd do June but I work full time and I'm afraid that it's going to be very difficult to keep up the prep until then. I also have a lot going on in my life between now and June so I'm concerned about being able to devote enough time to prep. I agree that I should keep up the prep until February, review PTs, and then make a decision about whether or not I'm ready.


Similar situation to mine: have a full time job and a 2-year old kid (but my wife does most of the babysitting). I also have my last shot left within the 2-year limit. June sounds too far, but Feb sounds too close to get a significant improvement.


Yeah that's exactly how I feel. The only thing is I think my December score was a result of nerves, as my PTs were higher. But obviously there's no guarantee that I can avoid that next time. It's such a dilemma.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], mintme, TAD, Vino.Veritas, Yahoo [Bot] and 7 guests