23%
Apply Now
8%

Total votes: 13

UCLAHopeful2014

LSAT Retake? Delay apps 1 year?

Postby UCLAHopeful2014 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:39 am

Hi All,

So, I started studying in September for the LSAT and began PTs in Nov. I was scoring consistently at 162-164. However, my last PT was 167. I usually missed -1 on LG, -12 on LR, and -7 on RC.
I took the December LSAT and scored a 160. -12 on RC, -9 on LR, and -5 on LG. The first two games on the LG were extremely easy but the last two were difficult. I ended up forgetting to fill in an answer for #15 and it messed up my last game when I realized it (I missed 4 ?s on the last game). I also was enrolled in 18 credits and worked 20 hours a week.

If I applied now, it would be to UC Davis, Hastings, Irvine, U of Washington, Washington & Lee (all may still be hard to get into). U of Washington is one of my top choices.

I had my heart set on applying this cycle but my dream is to attend UCLA, one reason being the William's Institute. Should I retake in June or Oct. (hope for a 168+) and have all of my applications ready to go by October? I graduate from ug in May. I have a 3.88 GPA from a large state school and 3.93 LSDASGPA. If I wait to apply, I plan on studying starting February. What are your thoughts? :)

rigs321

Re: LSAT Retake? Delay apps 1 year?

Postby rigs321 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:54 am

I'm in a very similar situation and plan to re-take. I however, didn't have my heart set on this cycle as I have a good job so not necessarily in a rush though I had intended this cycle, pushing it back one is not a big deal for me.

Biggest reason to re-take and apply next cycle if you really think you can get 168+ (which if you PT there, you can) is money. As an URM I still have a chance of getting into my target, BU, but why just get in when you can save yourself thousands upon thousands of dollars with a better score.

You could also take some time after graduating to have some real world experience (I know it wouldn't be much, but still). Study hard, retake June and slay it, apply next cycle for better chances at $ and schools.

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:04 pm

DagenDownard wrote:Hi All,

So, I started studying in September for the LSAT and began PTs in Nov. I was scoring consistently at 162-164. However, my last PT was 167. I usually missed -1 on LG, -12 on LR, and -7 on RC.
I took the December LSAT and scored a 160. -12 on RC, -9 on LR, and -5 on LG. The first two games on the LG were extremely easy but the last two were difficult. I ended up forgetting to fill in an answer for #15 and it messed up my last game when I realized it (I missed 4 ?s on the last game). I also was enrolled in 18 credits and worked 20 hours a week.

If I applied now, it would be to UC Davis, Hastings, Irvine, U of Washington, Washington & Lee (all may still be hard to get into). U of Washington is one of my top choices.

I had my heart set on applying this cycle but my dream is to attend UCLA, one reason being the William's Institute. Should I retake in June or Oct. (hope for a 168+) and have all of my applications ready to go by October? I graduate from ug in May. I have a 3.88 GPA from a large state school and 3.93 LSDASGPA. If I wait to apply, I plan on studying starting February. What are your thoughts? :)

You scored below your PT average, made careless mistakes on the LSAT, have a very high GPA, want UCLA which you likely won't get with current LSAT, are still in undergrad, and studied in subpar conditions.

Sounds like a recipe for a retake.

Also, looks like you need to work on RC and LR. TLS consensus is that the Manhattan prep books are super helpful for those, so I'd check that out.

UCLAHopeful2014

Postby UCLAHopeful2014 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:25 pm

Thanks for the responses! :D

I am going to work my arse off and really delve into LR and RC (which I hear is the hardest section to improve upon). I still have time and have the advantage of applying early this next application season. I used the Manhattan LSAT books but didn't really look at the RC book. I need to order the new ones.

Is improving my score by 8 points possible? :?:

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:28 pm

DagenDownard wrote:Is improving my score by 8 points possible? :?:

Wormfather wrote:ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!!!!!!!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”