Can I get 160 by Feb 2013? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
jared6180

Bronze

Can I get 160 by Feb 2013?

Post by jared6180 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:01 am

So after an improved, but still disappointing Dec 2012 performance of 146, do you think I can get 160 in Feb? I have the BluePrint course and I improved from 139 to 146 by just studying the first 4 lessons intensely and lightly covering the remaining lessons the last 2 weeks before the test. I applied myself about 20% of the time. I admit to having had a vastly misguided thought process to how I would do on this test. I really just thought I would do better than my 2 PT's said I would.

Why 160? Well do to my family situation I am pretty much limited to Washburn or KU so a 160 would get me in and most likely a decent scholarship at either school. KU is really my first choice though and would feel most comfortable with 160+.

Jcastro1

Bronze

Re: Can I get 160 by Feb 2013?

Post by Jcastro1 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:21 am

Yeah, you definitely can.

I'd recommend the PowerScore Logic Games Bible to brush up on your games and the Manhattan LR book to brush up on logical reasoning. Complement bookwork with some drilling and doing PTs at 3 a week. Bet of luck!

suralin

Diamond

Post by suralin » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:29 am

jared6180 wrote:So after an improved, but still disappointing Dec 2012 performance of 146, do you think I can get 160 in Feb? I have the BluePrint course and I improved from 139 to 146 by just studying the first 4 lessons intensely and lightly covering the remaining lessons the last 2 weeks before the test. I applied myself about 20% of the time. I admit to having had a vastly misguided thought process to how I would do on this test. I really just thought I would do better than my 2 PT's said I would.

Why 160? Well do to my family situation I am pretty much limited to Washburn or KU so a 160 would get me in and most likely a decent scholarship at either school. KU is really my first choice though and would feel most comfortable with 160+.
TLS consensus on prep materials: Powerscore Bible for LG (Manhattan is solid here too), Manhattan for LR and RC, Cambridge packets for drilling, and lots of PTs.

When taking PTs, make sure to review and understand why the right answer choice is right and the wrong choices wrong.

kylemba

New

Post by kylemba » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:31 am

I dont want to say it's impossible but it's going to be very hard. I know a lot of my improvement came when I treated studying like a full time job (alarm at 8am, grab coffee, hit timer and work section). I don't know your life situation with school or work but you're going to have to devote 80%-90% (IMHO) of your life to this test if you want to improve this quickly. I recommend checking out "The Noodly Ones Guide to a 179" on the board.

Also at lower level scores.. a lot of improvement will come from repetition and PTing (also IMHO)

gobuffs10

Bronze

Post by gobuffs10 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:39 am

jared6180 wrote:So after an improved, but still disappointing Dec 2012 performance of 146, do you think I can get 160 in Feb? I have the BluePrint course and I improved from 139 to 146 by just studying the first 4 lessons intensely and lightly covering the remaining lessons the last 2 weeks before the test. I applied myself about 20% of the time. I admit to having had a vastly misguided thought process to how I would do on this test. I really just thought I would do better than my 2 PT's said I would.

You can do it (though it will be hard), and Washburn is pretty good with scholly money if you break 160. I had a 163 and got WLed at KU, though I applied with a 2.7. PowerScore Bibles, old LSATs, and you need to dedicate yourself to this. A month isn't much time, and the improvement you're looking for may not happen in a month. If you aren't there at the beginning of February, I wouldn't sit for the test.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jared6180

Bronze

Post by jared6180 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:01 am

I will have to admit that I was pretty hot and bothered when I asked the question, actually I was a bit of a mess. For some ungodly reason I thought that taking the test would somehow result in a better score than I was PTing. I actually did slightly worse. I am ashamed of myself. Somehow I convinced myself that PTs didn't mean much, but that I would apply it all on test day and get into the 160s. What a BS idea that was.

I sat down with my wife, we talked about it, I got all emotional, and then I realized February would be a TERRIBLE idea. I went over my course load for this semester, made some changes, and now I have decided to retake in June 2013. Taking a Logic 100 course at school, my wife has agreed to go with me to the room I took the Dec LSAT at school once a week and administer PTs for me. She even promised to yell out "5 minutes remaining" at the appropriate time. Going to take advantage of BluePrint course I already have, and extend the videos to the June test.

Then I went back and looked at my answer sheet and noticed something very interesting. I failed at RC, but in the first 9 questions of the other 3 sections (27 questions total) I missed 4. So in the first 1/3 of each section I missed less than 2 questions, but from 10-23,26,25 I only got 16 correct in the same 3 sections. How JACKEDup is that? I START the section on pace for a 163-165 overall in the logic sections and possibly a 168 if I can get RC figured out. Literally at question #10 though I start trending towards a 120...

The only thing I can think of is stamina. I get a breather between each section and start the next on fire over and over again, but 10 questions in I am out of steam again! I think a more aggresive study schedule along with MORE PTs will yield the 160+ I need. I actually have great confidence I can get to 170 by June which would probably give me the scholarship I really want at either school!!!

The real story is I failed, and I sadly must admit that. Yes, I saw some improvement, but the reality is I set myself up for failure. Honestly going through the test taking process and then the idiotic 5 week wait for the score has helped drive the point home for me. I can't float by on this. I hate that it took this to wake me up.

suralin

Diamond

Post by suralin » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:38 am

jared6180 wrote:I will have to admit that I was pretty hot and bothered when I asked the question, actually I was a bit of a mess. For some ungodly reason I thought that taking the test would somehow result in a better score than I was PTing. I actually did slightly worse. I am ashamed of myself. Somehow I convinced myself that PTs didn't mean much, but that I would apply it all on test day and get into the 160s. What a BS idea that was.

I sat down with my wife, we talked about it, I got all emotional, and then I realized February would be a TERRIBLE idea. I went over my course load for this semester, made some changes, and now I have decided to retake in June 2013. Taking a Logic 100 course at school, my wife has agreed to go with me to the room I took the Dec LSAT at school once a week and administer PTs for me. She even promised to yell out "5 minutes remaining" at the appropriate time. Going to take advantage of BluePrint course I already have, and extend the videos to the June test.

Then I went back and looked at my answer sheet and noticed something very interesting. I failed at RC, but in the first 9 questions of the other 3 sections (27 questions total) I missed 4. So in the first 1/3 of each section I missed less than 2 questions, but from 10-23,26,25 I only got 16 correct in the same 3 sections. How JACKEDup is that? I START the section on pace for a 163-165 overall in the logic sections and possibly a 168 if I can get RC figured out. Literally at question #10 though I start trending towards a 120...

The only thing I can think of is stamina. I get a breather between each section and start the next on fire over and over again, but 10 questions in I am out of steam again! I think a more aggresive study schedule along with MORE PTs will yield the 160+ I need. I actually have great confidence I can get to 170 by June which would probably give me the scholarship I really want at either school!!!

The real story is I failed, and I sadly must admit that. Yes, I saw some improvement, but the reality is I set myself up for failure. Honestly going through the test taking process and then the idiotic 5 week wait for the score has helped drive the point home for me. I can't float by on this. I hate that it took this to wake me up.
Sounds like you'll do much better in June. And yes, stamina is important. Remember that on the real test there will be an experimental section, so try to simulate that on your PTs.

Gold

Post by 052220151 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:26 pm

Take June, shoot for 180.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”