Improving Score

User avatar
simplycatalina
Posts: 949
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:41 pm

Improving Score

Postby simplycatalina » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:57 pm

I got a 159 in October and a 160 in December. I studied like crazy and followed the study guides on here. I'm wondering if it's worth retaking and if I can potentially do better, or should I just count on the fact that I suck at this test? My PT average was 172-173 so I'm not sure what happened. I have a 3.76 GPA from Berkeley so I'm just so frustrated.

User avatar
Jcastro1
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:45 pm

Re: Improving Score

Postby Jcastro1 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:34 am

4.0 here with a 150s and a 160 in October 2012. Retaking and aiming for a 170+ in Feb.

DEFINITELY re-take. I know low scores are demoralizing and the third time it's difficult to stay motivated. I complain to everyone I know. But the jump is possible. Scanning the Dec 2012 retakers, I came across two test takers within 5 mins who went from low 160s to 170 or up.

To restate: retake!

User avatar
simplycatalina
Posts: 949
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:41 pm

Re: Improving Score

Postby simplycatalina » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:38 am

Jcastro1 wrote:4.0 here with a 150s and a 160 in October 2012. Retaking and aiming for a 170+ in Feb.

DEFINITELY re-take. I know low scores are demoralizing and the third time it's difficult to stay motivated. I complain to everyone I know. But the jump is possible. Scanning the Dec 2012 retakers, I came across two test takers within 5 mins who went from low 160s to 170 or up.

To restate: retake!


Alright thanks! I can't decide if I should retake in February or October. What are your thoughts?? And were your scores around your PT's?

User avatar
gobuffs10
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:20 am

Re: Improving Score

Postby gobuffs10 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:40 am

Is June an option? Then you wouldn't have to rush for this cycle, and you could have your apps done by November instead of sitting and waiting for your October score.

User avatar
Jcastro1
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:45 pm

Re: Improving Score

Postby Jcastro1 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:45 am

My lowest PT was 166 and my highest was 174. As such, I was REALLY bummed out by the 160 and have been prepping pretty hard for February.

I'd say take June, only because you get to write it at 1 pm rather than 9 am. Curve is generally harder. However, as you know, curve on Oct 2012 was -10.

User avatar
simplycatalina
Posts: 949
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:41 pm

Re: Improving Score

Postby simplycatalina » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:50 am

gobuffs10 wrote:Is June an option? Then you wouldn't have to rush for this cycle, and you could have your apps done by November instead of sitting and waiting for your October score.


Yes, June's an option. I think I'm going to submit a few apps to schools I could potentially get into at this point, but then I'm most likely going to reapply next year if I'm not happy.

I'm just worried that I can't get my score up. I get my PT scores up so much and it's just so frustrating. I wonder if I'm capable of improving my score...and I feel hopeless.

User avatar
gobuffs10
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:20 am

Re: Improving Score

Postby gobuffs10 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:14 am

cbarlow1016 wrote:
gobuffs10 wrote:Is June an option? Then you wouldn't have to rush for this cycle, and you could have your apps done by November instead of sitting and waiting for your October score.


Yes, June's an option. I think I'm going to submit a few apps to schools I could potentially get into at this point, but then I'm most likely going to reapply next year if I'm not happy.

I'm just worried that I can't get my score up. I get my PT scores up so much and it's just so frustrating. I wonder if I'm capable of improving my score...and I feel hopeless.


Your 170 PTs are proof that you're capable of improving your score. What sort of time gap are you leaving between your last PT and the test itself? Did you compare your scores on the two LSATs (i.e. where did you pick up points, lose points, or stay the same)?

User avatar
simplycatalina
Posts: 949
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:41 pm

Re: Improving Score

Postby simplycatalina » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:33 am

gobuffs10 wrote:
cbarlow1016 wrote:
gobuffs10 wrote:Is June an option? Then you wouldn't have to rush for this cycle, and you could have your apps done by November instead of sitting and waiting for your October score.


Yes, June's an option. I think I'm going to submit a few apps to schools I could potentially get into at this point, but then I'm most likely going to reapply next year if I'm not happy.

I'm just worried that I can't get my score up. I get my PT scores up so much and it's just so frustrating. I wonder if I'm capable of improving my score...and I feel hopeless.


Your 170 PTs are proof that you're capable of improving your score. What sort of time gap are you leaving between your last PT and the test itself? Did you compare your scores on the two LSATs (i.e. where did you pick up points, lose points, or stay the same)?


My last PT was two days before the test. It was a 177. I took 10-12 PT's within the weeks before and my average was 172. On both LSATs I didn't do well on RC, that was my biggest downfall. On the first one, I did better on LR and worse on games. On this one, I missed an equal amount of points on both LR sections and Games. I'm usually good at games, so even if I improved slightly on games it'd be better.

User avatar
gobuffs10
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:20 am

Re: Improving Score

Postby gobuffs10 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:49 am

Well, you know where your weaknesses are. RC is, as I'm sure you know, the hardest section to improve. I'm not sure I'd spend much time on it, unless you're missing enough points to seriously damage your overall score. I'd drill LG like hell, because you can improve speed and it's also possible to get a perfect score on that section. If you can drill them until they become second nature, then do it at speed, you'll be a lot closer to making up ground that you may give away on RC. My LR numbers stayed pretty consistent, so I'm not sure what to tell you there. The one thing that helped me with LR was underlining words like All, some, none, every, etc., and immediately eliminating the answers that contained inconsistent language (too strong, weak, broad, narrow, etc.).

I also wonder if you just have test anxiety. It's okay to work on an edge, but you have to remain focused. You've done this stuff at home a hundred times. When you get to test day, try your best to ignore the environment. Remember that most of these people haven't PTd in the 170s, and many haven't studied at all. Let them shoot themselves in the foot while you do what you've done so many times before. The first time I took it I was a nervous wreck. The second time, I went in with confidence and a sense of calm. I didn't score 170s, but I jumped seven points from the first time with minimal effort. I think there's a lot to be said for just maintaining a good state of mind and not psyching yourself out.

User avatar
naillsat
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:48 pm

Re: Improving Score

Postby naillsat » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:48 am

cbarlow1016 wrote:I got a 159 in October and a 160 in December. I studied like crazy and followed the study guides on here. I'm wondering if it's worth retaking and if I can potentially do better, or should I just count on the fact that I suck at this test? My PT average was 172-173 so I'm not sure what happened. I have a 3.76 GPA from Berkeley so I'm just so frustrated.


I also have taken this test twice and my score is just stagnant after putting in so much time and effort. I am trying to figure out the reason, maybe my prep was flawed. I should have spent more effort analyzing the missed questions rather than go through as many PTs as possible.

I'm now out of fresh PTs and another retake would be a hard decision to make, because I first took it in June 2012 and it's going to be my last shot within 2 years. More importantly, I am not sure if I can improve my score significantly (10+ points). This test prep is the most time-consuming thing I've ever done and it has dragged me for almost a year. Maybe I should look at something else in life or maybe I should stick to make it better. idk what would be my best option.

User avatar
simplycatalina
Posts: 949
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:41 pm

Re: Improving Score

Postby simplycatalina » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:59 am

naillsat wrote:
cbarlow1016 wrote:I got a 159 in October and a 160 in December. I studied like crazy and followed the study guides on here. I'm wondering if it's worth retaking and if I can potentially do better, or should I just count on the fact that I suck at this test? My PT average was 172-173 so I'm not sure what happened. I have a 3.76 GPA from Berkeley so I'm just so frustrated.


I also have taken this test twice and my score is just stagnant after putting in so much time and effort. I am trying to figure out the reason, maybe my prep was flawed. I should have spent more effort analyzing the missed questions rather than go through as many PTs as possible.

I'm now out of fresh PTs and another retake would be a hard decision to make, because I first took it in June 2012 and it's going to be my last shot within 2 years. More importantly, I am not sure if I can improve my score significantly (10+ points). This test prep is the most time-consuming thing I've ever done and it has dragged me for almost a year. Maybe I should look at something else in life or maybe I should stick to make it better. idk what would be my best option.


Yeah I feel you..Idk what to do and it's just so frustrating. I devoted so much time and effort to this test and I feel like it didn't even help. And yeah, now I'm out of fresh PTs or any materials to study with. I'm not sure if I should a) settle for a lower ranked school, b) retake again, or c) decide that I should just give up on law school.

User avatar
chickpea
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Improving Score

Postby chickpea » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:15 am

I can definitely empathize with you guys. I took the test in October 2012 and December 2012 and only improved by two points despite working my butt off. Perhaps the problem was that I waited until I received my October 2012 score before I decided to start studying for the December test, which left me with just a month of study time.

I have a 168/3.9 at this point, which I'm pretty sure leaves me out of the running at HYS. Do you guys think that I should re-take next June and figure out something else to do next Fall other than law school? I want to wait out this cycle and see what happens at people say it will be very unpredictable but then again if I don't hear back from a lot of schools until April I won't be left with much time to prepare for the June test.

Like many of you guys, I am just so frustrated :(

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: Improving Score

Postby wtrc » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:54 am

cbarlow1016 wrote:I got a 159 in October and a 160 in December. I studied like crazy and followed the study guides on here. I'm wondering if it's worth retaking and if I can potentially do better, or should I just count on the fact that I suck at this test? My PT average was 172-173 so I'm not sure what happened. I have a 3.76 GPA from Berkeley so I'm just so frustrated.


If your PT average was 172-173, you don't suck at the test.... definitely retake. Wait a cycle if you can.

User avatar
simplycatalina
Posts: 949
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:41 pm

Re: Improving Score

Postby simplycatalina » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:12 pm

weathercoins wrote:
cbarlow1016 wrote:I got a 159 in October and a 160 in December. I studied like crazy and followed the study guides on here. I'm wondering if it's worth retaking and if I can potentially do better, or should I just count on the fact that I suck at this test? My PT average was 172-173 so I'm not sure what happened. I have a 3.76 GPA from Berkeley so I'm just so frustrated.


If your PT average was 172-173, you don't suck at the test.... definitely retake. Wait a cycle if you can.


That's what I'm leaning towards. But I think I do suck at the test because I have gotten my PTs up a lot and then something happens when I actually take the test. I guess I just have really bad test anxiety, but part of me is afraid that the same thing will happen again if I retake.

Also, would you recommend February or June?




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BobBoblaw, qemini1594 and 3 guests