10 point below range

piney

10 point below range

Postby piney » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:53 pm

On everyone of my PTs (about 20), I scored a 170-179. On the December LSAT, I scored a 163. What the hell happened?

rebexness

Re: 10 point below range

Postby rebexness » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:53 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:55 pm

Check the test and answer sheet on LSAC.

Cerebro

Postby Cerebro » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:59 pm

Were you feeling jittery?

piney

Postby piney » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:10 pm

It looks like the one ridiculous outlier was the actual test. I was aiming for NYU, so if I score within my range, will I still be able to get in next cycle, or will they average scores?

bbsg

Postby bbsg » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:26 pm

It seems like schools tend to just take the highest score, even when they say they consider all scores. If you were PTing 170+ you should definitely, definitely rewrite.

For what it's worth I was PTing in the 170s, wrote a 165, didn't go into study over-drive or anything and scored a 175 on the next test. It's worthwhile, especially since you don't really have to climb uphill or anything to get the score!

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:29 pm

piney wrote:It looks like the one ridiculous outlier was the actual test. I was aiming for NYU, so if I score within my range, will I still be able to get in next cycle, or will they average scores?

You'll be fine if you can retake and score within your range.

cloudhidden

Postby cloudhidden » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:49 pm

bbsg wrote:It seems like schools tend to just take the highest score, even when they say they consider all scores. If you were PTing 170+ you should definitely, definitely rewrite.

For what it's worth I was PTing in the 170s, wrote a 165, didn't go into study over-drive or anything and scored a 175 on the next test. It's worthwhile, especially since you don't really have to climb uphill or anything to get the score!

This is refreshing to hear. I scored a 174 on a recent PT the week before the December test, then got saddled with a 165 on the real thing. I was mad as hell, but I guess we are just those hard luck outliers. I would not go with my current score after working so hard to average 170+.

piney

Postby piney » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:52 am

Any chance I could still get in to NYU this cycle with a February LSAT?

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:00 pm

piney wrote:Any chance I could still get in to NYU this cycle with a February LSAT?

Yes.

Typhoon24

Postby Typhoon24 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:30 pm

test conditions can drastically affect your score. when you PTed, did you make sure you tested several times in similar conditions to the testing center (ex: same time of day, same lighting, relatively similar noise level, around a bunch of people, etc.) You don't have to do all of that, just prepare for it. it also could've been test day jitters. But if what you say about it being an outlier is true and it is the sole reason you performed that way, then definitely retake it whenever possible.

steel_shot

Postby steel_shot » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:31 pm

piney wrote:On everyone of my PTs (about 20), I scored a 170-179. On the December LSAT, I scored a 163. What the hell happened?

Could be a lot of things, all from environmental (noisy, bad lighting, not enough space, etc.), maybe you were tired or burnt out, or maybe it was just an anomaly. You're in a really good position to retake though, just try and mimic the test environment as much as possible. The same thing happened to me in November, so now I'm gearing for a February retake.

lfonten2

Postby lfonten2 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:06 pm

The same thing happened to me. I took roughly 18 timed practice tests from August - November. My cold diagnostic was 164, and every test after that was between 170-174. My December score was 164 which certainly stings a little. The most frustrating thing is (based on my deployment schedule) I won't be able to retake until February of 2014!

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:23 pm

lfonten2 wrote:The same thing happened to me. I took roughly 18 timed practice tests from August - November. My cold diagnostic was 164, and every test after that was between 170-174. My December score was 164 which certainly stings a little. The most frustrating thing is (based on my deployment schedule) I won't be able to retake until February of 2014!

Wow, that's rough. Don't think I've ever heard of someone scoring their diagnostic on test day. Any idea what went wrong? So afraid this is going to be me..

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:27 pm

For those of you who scored 10+ points below your PT range on test day, did the actual test *feel* any different while you were taking it, or was the score a complete shock?

lfonten2

Postby lfonten2 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:24 pm

I mainly attribute my low score to test day nerves. Leading up to the test, I peaked around 174 at the beginning of October (when I was studying most seriously). I'm in the military, and I was "away" all of Sep/Oct. When I got back, I broke my leg (couldn't drive/walk/grocery shop/function independently really), broke up with my long-term live in boyfriend, and had a few other unforseen life stressors. Needless to say, my studying decreased. But I was still taking weekly preptests and consistently scoring between 170-173 (took a preptest Tuesday prior to the DEC exam and scored a 171). During the entire AUG-NOV period, I never scored lower than a 170 on a preptest.

Going into the test I knew I wasn't at my peak, but I still was confident in my ability to score 170+. RC was my first section (and typically my strongest, with -0 to -2 on average). I went -6. I think I was incredibly jittery during the first passage, and went way too fast. Additionally, after reviewing my scantron, I discovered that I changed 4 answers. All 4 I changed from correct to incorrect.

The test didn't feel incredibly hard to me, but evidently I let the nerves get to me, and didn't go with "gut" as I usually did on the preptests. LR is typically strong for me (-2) and I went -5 on each section. Even on my cold diagnostic I never got more than 4 wrong on a LR section.

I'm not sure if my situation provides any lessons that other people can learn from, but the thing that I took away from it is that nerves matter. And you can do something right a couple dozen times in a row, and still do it wrong when it counts.

cloudhidden

Postby cloudhidden » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:33 pm

Looking over my test, I think my biggest mistake was ovecompensating for what I thought might cause a substantial test day drop. I have heard about people who struggle with timing during the actual test, because they tend to fixate on difficult questions more. The whole time I had this attitude that I would stay focused on the bigger picture without getting bogged down anywhere. But it backfired because I stayed too loose. I didn't fight through the logic where I could have picked up more points. This attitude hurt me the most on RC. I finished with almost five minutes to spare, but I became very deferrential in terms of finding confirmation for my answers in the passage. It was as if anything that even began to slow me down set off a red flag and I felt pressured to move on and go with what "sounded" right. I went from probably averaging -2 on that section to -8 on the actual test. I made a major mistake by altering my process on test day, even though I thought it would help me exceed my average. In the end, I scored over five points under that average. It really hits home now that you have to treat the test exactly like any other PT; nothing more, nothing less. You will almost assuredly miss points on the test no matter what, but by maintaining the same thought processes that you practiced all along, you most effectively minimize the damage.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”