lsat gre gmat

az21833

lsat gre gmat

Postby az21833 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:52 pm

interested in applying to jd/mba programs as a 1L. most schools take either gre or gmat now a days and seem not to have a preference. which test would you is more similar to the LSAT? I have prepared months for the LSAT but havnt even looked at either of the other tests.

bitsy

Re: lsat gre gmat

Postby bitsy » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:01 pm

i can't speak to the GMAT, but i took the GRE prior to the LSAT. the verbal and RC sections are comparable, in that they both include long passages about which you must answer questions. they both have writing sections, but on the LSAT it's unscored. if you did well on the SAT, i recommend looking at the GRE, since they're almost identical. dont worry if you havent taken math since HS, it's very basic and easy to pick up again. i only worked through one TPR book in preparation for the GRE, and received a perfect score in verbal and near-perfect in the other sections.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:04 pm

GMAT is nothing like LSAT

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:53 pm

I took the GMAT, and it has both RC and LR from the LSAT. The LR is much simpler though. The quant part is totally different of course, and that is half the test. Most respectable business schools still don't take the GRE too, so you're probably better off taking the GMAT. Just brush up on your quant, you've already studied for half the test.

vtoodler

Postby vtoodler » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:29 pm

How does the GMAT's quantitative section compare to that of the SAT/ACT's?

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:30 pm

vtoodler wrote:How does the GMAT's quantitative section compare to that of the SAT/ACT's?

Similar, but a little more advanced since its designed for people that have finished their Bachelor's. Its mostly just stats though, so nothing too crazy.

crazyrobin

Postby crazyrobin » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:38 pm

Now as many business school as possible take GRE scores, you can check here
http://www.ets.org/gre/institutions/about/mba/programs/
For quant part, gmat is a little harder
But prepare for both test are very time consuming though....
I am about to take GRE on March 9. Doing the verbal and quant practice questions takes quite some time.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:43 pm

crazyrobin wrote:Now as many business school as possible take GRE scores, you can check here
http://www.ets.org/gre/institutions/about/mba/programs/
For quant part, gmat is a little harder
But prepare for both test are very time consuming though....
I am about to take GRE on March 9. Doing the verbal and quant practice questions takes quite some time.

Wow you're right. When I was applying 2 years ago that wasn't the case at all. I guess just prep for both and see which one you're better at, then focus on that.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:59 pm

^this is why I've kept my mouth shut. When I took the GMAT they'd only just assessed thè third section

crazyrobin

Postby crazyrobin » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:59 pm

mrizza wrote:
Wow you're right. When I was applying 2 years ago that wasn't the case at all. I guess just prep for both and see which one you're better at, then focus on that.

I am thinking about give up on GRE, :( It's time consuming and now I only have about 2 hours everyday to study for lsat.

One more thing, doing mba means shit load of debt......

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:03 pm

crazyrobin wrote:
mrizza wrote:

I am thinking about give up on GRE, :( It's time consuming and now I only have about 2 hours everyday to study for lsat.

One more thing, doing mba means shit load of debt......

The important question is why would you want an MBA?
(I think it's a very misused and misunderstood degree)

banjo

Postby banjo » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:04 am

Assuming you've done well (170+) on the LSAT, you'll need about a week to prepare for the GRE. A few days to go over high school algebra/trig, a few days to refresh your vocabulary with those cards, and the weekend to do practice tests. The writing section shouldn't give you too much of a problem, but you may need to set aside a day to practice. You have to analyze an argument (basically a single LR stimulus that you have 30 minutes to rip apart) and there's an essay as well, which is a 45-minute typing test.

If you haven't taken the LSAT and you're still working on basic RC skills, you'll need to set aside more prep time. On the whole, however, the GRE is relatively simple and you shouldn't stress about it too much (with the LSAT stress is unavoidable though).

crazyrobin

Postby crazyrobin » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:28 am

dingbat wrote:The important question is why would you want an MBA?
(I think it's a very misused and misunderstood degree)

I am interested in management especially in non-profit, I am not specifically considering a MBA degree but I want to earn a dual degree maybe in Non-profit management. MBA is on my list but not my first priority. Kennedy is my dream school and I know it is hard to get in. It takes the the highest GRE ever, and GRE is more or less just like lsat (on prep time), inevitably time consuming.

banjo wrote:If you haven't taken the LSAT and you're still working on basic RC skills, you'll need to set aside more prep time. On the whole, however, the GRE is relatively simple and you shouldn't stress about it too much (with the LSAT stress is unavoidable though).

Can't agree more. GRE is relatively simple, but it takes time to achieve a perfect score.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:10 am

crazyrobin wrote:I am interested in management

:roll:

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:19 am

dingbat wrote:
crazyrobin wrote:I am interested in management

:roll:

+1

secretagentman811

Postby secretagentman811 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:41 am

vtoodler wrote:How does the GMAT's quantitative section compare to that of the SAT/ACT's?

I found that the GMAT quantitative section was much more difficult than the GRE. I found that I could brute force through nearly all of the GRE math questions in the allotted time, relying less on the formulas and identities that are helpful to memorize. On the GMAT, you'll run out of time if you don't know all the little "tricks".

kylemba

Postby kylemba » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:30 pm

I took the GMAT and the quant section is a killer for several reasons.

1. It's math that you probably haven't done in years.
2. No calculator so be sure to be able to do a lot in your head or long hand. (another thing I haven't done in years.)
3. Data sufficiency questions are unlike any questions you've seen before so you have to familiarize your self with them.

I thought the LSAT was significantly easier than the GMAT but thats because I suck at mental math and am good at logic.. but everyone is different.

az21833

Postby az21833 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:11 pm

hey guys i just got a 171 on the lsat today. pretty set on applying to jd/mba programs as a 1L (upenn law / wharton would be a dream)

i will say that my quant is a little on the weaker side.

the schools i want to apply to all take gre and gmat (pretty much all top b schools do now).

which one should i take?

GRE - i have heard is easier quant
GMAT - i have heard the verbal is essentially identical to the first half of LSAT sections.

both are tempting reasons.....

secretagentman811

Postby secretagentman811 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:18 pm

GRE

good luck!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”