One more question for lsat instructors

User avatar
ScottRiqui
Posts: 3640
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: One more question for lsat instructors

Postby ScottRiqui » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:30 am

Merylian wrote:Do they pass up an awesome number set when they're becoming rarer by the year, or do they allow someone to matriculate who is either abrasively ignorant or frighteningly close to the edge of sane?

Seriously. I bet some adcomms would toss and turn over that decision.

*Edit: And by that, I mean the wrong edge of sane.


Not talking about the OP specifically, but that's a really interesting question. I think it boils down to whether the adcomms think the applicant will be able to complete law school. If they don't think the person will make it through, I don't see how they could offer an admission with a clear conscience. On the other hand, if they think the applicant can finish at all, well - there will always be someone who finishes last in the class.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: One more question for lsat instructors

Postby dingbat » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:33 am

ScottRiqui wrote:
Merylian wrote:Do they pass up an awesome number set when they're becoming rarer by the year, or do they allow someone to matriculate who is either abrasively ignorant or frighteningly close to the edge of sane?

Seriously. I bet some adcomms would toss and turn over that decision.

*Edit: And by that, I mean the wrong edge of sane.


Not talking about the OP specifically, but that's a really interesting question. I think it boils down to whether the adcomms think the applicant will be able to complete law school. If they don't think the person will make it through, I don't see how they could offer an admission with a clear conscience. On the other hand, if they think the applicant can finish at all, well - there will always be someone who finishes last in the class.

They'd also need to worry about the person being able to pass the bar.

natashka85
Posts: 255
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:29 pm

Re: One more question for lsat instructors

Postby natashka85 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:36 am

dingbat wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:
Merylian wrote:Do they pass up an awesome number set when they're becoming rarer by the year, or do they allow someone to matriculate who is either abrasively ignorant or frighteningly close to the edge of sane?

Seriously. I bet some adcomms would toss and turn over that decision.

*Edit: And by that, I mean the wrong edge of sane.


Not talking about the OP specifically, but that's a really interesting question. I think it boils down to whether the adcomms think the applicant will be able to complete law school. If they don't think the person will make it through, I don't see how they could offer an admission with a clear conscience. On the other hand, if they think the applicant can finish at all, well - there will always be someone who finishes last in the class.

They'd also need to worry about the person being able to pass the bar.



Ok guys If we refer to percentage then it's 50plus 1,if we refer to number it doesn't have to be true,lol

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: One more question for lsat instructors

Postby dingbat » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:39 am

natashka85, as a complete aside to all this, even if you were right (but you're not) you need to adjust your attitude if you want to last at any job. No matter what you do, there'll come a time when your boss, co-workers, business associates or clients disagree with you. Regardless of whether you're right or wrong, the way you've gone about arguing in this thread will not endear you and will put you first in line for the chopping block. I can tell you that at my last job we've fired people because of their attitudes and people at companies we worked with have been fired in part because of their attitudes (especially when we said we refused to work with him/her, or when they resulted in us threatening to renegotiate agreements)

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: One more question for lsat instructors

Postby dingbat » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:39 am

natashka85 wrote:Ok guys If we refer to percentage then it's 50plus 1,if we refer to number it doesn't have to be true,lol

no, when referring to a number it also needs to be true. Majority means more than half, plain and simple

User avatar
Merylian
Posts: 659
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:46 pm

Re: One more question for lsat instructors

Postby Merylian » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:41 am

ScottRiqui wrote:
Not talking about the OP specifically, but that's a really interesting question. I think it boils down to whether the adcomms think the applicant will be able to complete law school. If they don't think the person will make it through, I don't see how they could offer an admission with a clear conscience. On the other hand, if they think the applicant can finish at all, well - there will always be someone who finishes last in the class.


If adcomms are even slightly honest about thoughtfully putting together a diverse class of individuals who they feel are a good fit for the school culture and things like that I often see thrown around on "Apply now!" pages, I'd think there would be some concern not only for a crazy/abrasive person failing to graduate, but being disruptive and problematic for the rest of the class. You know, like that kid in undergrad who thought we were all paying tuition for the privilege of listening to them argue with the professor for 80% (a great majority :D) of classes over things they were completely wrong about.

But that might be giving admissions committees way too much credit.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: One more question for lsat instructors

Postby dingbat » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:43 am

Merylian wrote:You know, like that kid in undergrad who thought we were all paying tuition for the privilege of listening to them argue with the professor for 80% (a great majority :D) of classes over things they were completely wrong about.

But that might be giving admissions committees way too much credit.

There are quite a few people like that in my section. I love it when a professor just says "no, you're wrong"

natashka85
Posts: 255
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:29 pm

Re: One more question for lsat instructors

Postby natashka85 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:52 am

dingbat wrote:
natashka85 wrote:Ok guys If we refer to percentage then it's 50plus 1,if we refer to number it doesn't have to be true,lol

no, when referring to a number it also needs to be true. Majority means more than half, plain and simple

Ok the argument was about the great majority of worlds forests is destroyed,that means a large area is being destroyed but it doesn't have to be most of the worlds forest ,so Dude learn yourlesson and stay away from smart attorneys in court they will kick your ass.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: One more question for lsat instructors

Postby Nova » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:56 am

natashka85 wrote:Ok the argument was about the great majority of worlds forests is destroyed,that means a large area is being destroyed but it doesn't have to be most of the worlds forest

Yes it does.

great majority = more than half

most = more than half

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: One more question for lsat instructors

Postby dingbat » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:58 am

natashka85 wrote:
dingbat wrote:
natashka85 wrote:Ok guys If we refer to percentage then it's 50plus 1,if we refer to number it doesn't have to be true,lol

no, when referring to a number it also needs to be true. Majority means more than half, plain and simple

Ok the argument was about the great majority of worlds forests is destroyed,that means a large area is being destroyed but it doesn't have to be most of the worlds forest ,so Dude learn yourlesson and stay away from smart attorneys in court they will kick your ass.

I don't know the argument, but I stand by the language. And, like I've said before, I don't ever plan to see the inside of a court room, so I don't need to worry about it

User avatar
ScottRiqui
Posts: 3640
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: One more question for lsat instructors

Postby ScottRiqui » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:00 am

natashka85 wrote:
dingbat wrote:
natashka85 wrote:Ok guys If we refer to percentage then it's 50plus 1,if we refer to number it doesn't have to be true,lol

no, when referring to a number it also needs to be true. Majority means more than half, plain and simple

Ok the argument was about the great majority of worlds forests is destroyed,that means a large area is being destroyed but it doesn't have to be most of the worlds forest ,so Dude learn yourlesson and stay away from smart attorneys in court they will kick your ass.


Again - there's no strict definition for a "great majority", but at the very least, it *has* to be a majority. You simply can't say that the "great majority" of the world's forests are being destroyed without it meaning more than 50% of the world's forests.

If it were only 20% of the world's forests, or 30%, then there would be no reason to refer to it as a "majority" in the first place. In fact, the "majority" of the world's forests (either 80% or 70%, respectively) would NOT be destroyed.

natashka85
Posts: 255
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:29 pm

Re: One more question for lsat instructors

Postby natashka85 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:02 am

Nova wrote:
natashka85 wrote:Ok the argument was about the great majority of worlds forests is destroyed,that means a large area is being destroyed but it doesn't have to be most of the worlds forest

Yes it does.

great majority = more than half

most = more than half[/quote

Nope u are wrong

User avatar
Merylian
Posts: 659
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:46 pm

Re: One more question for lsat instructors

Postby Merylian » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:03 am

natashka85 wrote:
Nova wrote:
natashka85 wrote:Ok the argument was about the great majority of worlds forests is destroyed,that means a large area is being destroyed but it doesn't have to be most of the worlds forest

Yes it does.

great majority = more than half

most = more than half[/quote

Nope u are wrong


Please explain why he is wrong.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: One more question for lsat instructors

Postby dingbat » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:03 am

Happy new year to everyone on the east coast

User avatar
ScottRiqui
Posts: 3640
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: One more question for lsat instructors

Postby ScottRiqui » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:05 am

natashka85 wrote:
Nova wrote:
natashka85 wrote:Ok the argument was about the great majority of worlds forests is destroyed,that means a large area is being destroyed but it doesn't have to be most of the worlds forest

Yes it does.

great majority = more than half

most = more than half[/quote

Nope u are wrong


Rather than continually simply disagreeing, why don't you quote an authoritative source that agrees with you? Specifically, something that claims that you can have a "majority" group that doesn't make up more than 50% of the total?

User avatar
John_rizzy_rawls
Posts: 3477
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: One more question for lsat instructors

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:06 am

Merylian wrote:
natashka85 wrote:
Nova wrote:
natashka85 wrote:Ok the argument was about the great majority of worlds forests is destroyed,that means a large area is being destroyed but it doesn't have to be most of the worlds forest

Yes it does.

great majority = more than half

most = more than half[/quote

Nope u are wrong


Please explain why he is wrong.


4.0 from Harvard breh, she needs to explain ,nothing,to,u.

natashka85
Posts: 255
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:29 pm

Re: One more question for lsat instructors

Postby natashka85 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:15 am

Merylian wrote:
natashka85 wrote:
Nova wrote:
natashka85 wrote:Ok the argument was about the great majority of worlds forests is destroyed,that means a large area is being destroyed but it doesn't have to be most of the worlds forest

Yes it does.

great majority = more than half

most = more than half[/quote

Nope u are wrong


Please explain why he is wrong.

A great majority of what?could be great majority of 30 percent inthat case doesn't have to be 50 plus 1.

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: One more question for lsat instructors

Postby dr123 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:17 am

Wikipedia says:

"A majority is a subset of a set consisting of more than half of the set's elements. "

/argument

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: One more question for lsat instructors

Postby Nova » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:18 am

natashka85 wrote:
Merylian wrote:Please explain why he is wrong.

A great majority of what?could be great majority of 30 percent inthat case doesn't have to be 50 plus 1.

:|

natashka85 wrote:The great majority of worlds forests

natashka85
Posts: 255
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:29 pm

Re: One more question for lsat instructors

Postby natashka85 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:21 am

Nova wrote:
natashka85 wrote:
Merylian wrote:Please explain why he is wrong.

A great majority of what?could be great majority of 30 percent inthat case doesn't have to be 50 plus 1.

:|

natashka85 wrote:The great majority of worlds forests

Like I said it could be a large number but also percentage Which is 50 plus 1,so both are right

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: One more question for lsat instructors

Postby dingbat » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:25 am

natashka85 wrote:Like I said it could be a large number but also percentage Which is 50 plus 1,so both are right

not just any large number, a number larger than all other numbers combined (aka more than 50%)

User avatar
ScottRiqui
Posts: 3640
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: One more question for lsat instructors

Postby ScottRiqui » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:26 am

natashka85 wrote:
Nova wrote:
natashka85 wrote:
Merylian wrote:Please explain why he is wrong.

A great majority of what?could be great majority of 30 percent inthat case doesn't have to be 50 plus 1.

:|

natashka85 wrote:The great majority of worlds forests

Like I said it could be a large number but also percentage Which is 50 plus 1,so both are right


What in the world is your justification for referring to 30% of a population as a "great majority"? It's not even a majority, much less a "great majority".

It doesn't matter how many millions of trees there are in the world - if you're only talking about 30% of them, you don't have a majority.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: One more question for lsat instructors

Postby dingbat » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:28 am

Which practice exam are you looking at? What question?

User avatar
Merylian
Posts: 659
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:46 pm

Re: One more question for lsat instructors

Postby Merylian » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:29 am

natashka85 wrote:A great majority of what?could be great majority of 30 percent inthat case doesn't have to be 50 plus 1.


If it had said something like "The great majority of Alpine forests are being desrtoyed" then yes, you would be correct. 95% of Alpine forests could be destroyed without it necessarily being most of the world's forests. However, since it explicitly states the great majority of all forests in the world are being destroyed, we have to conclude that it is in fact most of the world's forests.

By now I kind of wish one of the LSAT folks would actually come in here and say something, because I have a feeling you wont believe anyone else.

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: One more question for lsat instructors

Postby dr123 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:30 am

dr123 wrote:Wikipedia says:

"A majority is a subset of a set consisting of more than half of the set's elements. "

/argument


This needs to be posted again.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”