One more question for lsat instructors Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
natashka85

Bronze

Re: One more question for lsat instructors

Post by natashka85 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:56 pm

dingbat wrote:
natashka85 wrote:Its a great majority number but we don`t know 500 000 of what?it could be 1000 000 or 600 000 .
500,000 out of 1,000,000 is not a majority.
500,000 out of 600,000 is a great majority

However, 500,000 out of 1,000,000 would be most, if there are more than 2 possibilities and each got at least 1
500,000 out of 600,000 would be most[/quote
That`s not what u were saying before,i am glad u came to terms and after this i would recommend you to be more nice to people,its easier to criticize someone than to see your own shortcomings,lol

suralin

Diamond

Post by suralin » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:57 pm

natashka85 wrote:
dingbat wrote:
natashka85 wrote: Trust me i think u should sharpen your critical reasoning skills,great majority number can be 500000 but it doesnt have to be most of that.
Say what? Seriously, what are you saying?

The definition of majority is that it is more than half. The definition of most is more than any other option. If a "majority" is 500,000, then the total pool cannot be greater than 999,999. No other option can have more than 499,999, meaning that the 500,000 represents the most.

If the 500,000 represents a "great majority", then the pool is significantly smaller than 999,999.
Its a great majority number but we don`t know 500 000 of what?it could be 1000 000 or 600 000 .
JFC it's not that hard. You should try using something called Google. Also, work on your English. HTH

suralin

Diamond

Post by suralin » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:58 pm

natashka85 wrote:
dingbat wrote:
natashka85 wrote:Its a great majority number but we don`t know 500 000 of what?it could be 1000 000 or 600 000 .

However, 500,000 out of 1,000,000 would be most, if there are more than 2 possibilities and each got at least 1
That`s not what u were saying before,i am glad u came to terms and after this i would recommend you to be more nice to people,its easier to criticize someone than to see your own shortcomings,lol
LOL I'm dying

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:59 pm

natashka85 wrote: That`s not what u were saying before,i am glad u came to terms and after this i would recommend you to be more nice to people,its easier to criticize someone than to see your own shortcomings,lol
Actually, it is what I was saying earlier.
I stick with my original analysis:
dingbat wrote:I think you should focus less on the LSAT and more on your mastery of the English language

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:02 pm

Guys we tried... I think its clearly time to abandon ship and leave Natashka85 to his/her 150.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Silver

Post by A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:04 pm

Suralin wrote:
natashka85 wrote:
dingbat wrote:

LOL I'm dying
If this is the "great majority of forests" question, then you don't need to make the distinction and you started the most ridiculous conversation about numbers ever.
Just bubble A.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:04 pm

mrizza wrote:Guys we tried... I think its clearly time to abandon ship and leave Natashka85 to his/her 150.
Ever the optimist, aren't you?

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:07 pm

dingbat wrote:
mrizza wrote:Guys we tried... I think its clearly time to abandon ship and leave Natashka85 to his/her 150.
Ever the optimist, aren't you?
I thought it would hurt more if I said what they were most likely actually PTing at instead of saying 120

natashka85

Bronze

Post by natashka85 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:07 pm

I never got a 150 in my life that`s not even where i started ,I don`t see how that can be an insult to the person.lol

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Silver

Post by A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:10 pm

natashka85 wrote:
I never got a 150 in my life that`s not even where i started ,I don`t see how that can be an insult to the person.lol
Ok, obviously a troll.

suralin

Diamond

Post by suralin » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:10 pm

natashka85 wrote:
mrizza was including 120-150 when he said that. Context. HTH

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:13 pm

natashka85 wrote: I never got a 150 in my life that`s not even where i started ,I don`t see how that can be an insult to the person.lol
natashka85 wrote: That`s not what u were saying before,i am glad u came to terms and after this i would recommend you to be more nice to people,its easier to criticize someone than to see your own shortcomings,lol
--ImageRemoved--

natashka85

Bronze

Post by natashka85 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:16 pm

Suralin wrote:
natashka85 wrote:
mrizza was including 120-150 when he said that. Context. HTH
you guys are cocky,i talked to couple of lsat instructors ,some of them think that great majority can be a great number but it doesnt have to be most,and my original post stated clearly great majority not most ,we all know that majority can be most ,but great majority of sth doesn`t have to be most,thats what i was saying.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:16 pm

mrizza reminded me
I spend enough time being nice to people, but sometimes it's better to be brutal. Coddling is for babies, not for adults, and if you can't take being criticized, I strongly urge you not to become a lawyer (or to enter any of the "professional" fields, for that matter).

As for my own shortcomings, I'm well aware of them, and I do my best to arrange my life around them, which is something I suggest you work on.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:18 pm

natashka85 wrote:you guys are cocky,i talked to couple of lsat instructors ,some of them think that great majority can be a great number but it doesnt have to be most,and my original post stated clearly great majority not most ,we all know that majority can be most ,but great majority of sth doesn`t have to be most,thats what i was saying.
Well then they should buy a dictionary, shouldn't they?

You're still wrong, majority is always most, whereas most is not always majority, because majority is by definition most. Great majority is also by definition most. If an LSAT instructor tells you otherwise, you should get a different LSAT instructor.

edit: it's dave hall, isn't it? (LinkRemoved)
Last edited by dingbat on Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ph297

New

Post by Ph297 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:20 pm

dingbat wrote:mrizza reminded me
I spend enough time being nice to people, but sometimes it's better to be brutal. Coddling is for babies, not for adults, and if you can't take being criticized, I strongly urge you not to become a lawyer (or to enter any of the "professional" fields, for that matter).

As for my own shortcomings, I'm well aware of them, and I do my best to arrange my life around them, which is something I suggest you work on.
Yeah real easy to be brutal when ur on a message board. I'm sure ur a real hard ass in real life too.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:21 pm

Ph297 wrote:Yeah real easy to be brutal when ur on a message board. I'm sure ur a real hard ass in real life too.
No, but I am a real asshole in real life.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:22 pm

dingbat wrote:
Ph297 wrote:Yeah real easy to be brutal when ur on a message board. I'm sure ur a real hard ass in real life too.
Like with poop and everything?

TERS

Bronze

Post by TERS » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:33 pm

The point of my ice cream example was the following. Simply stating that "most" means more than half or that it is synonymous with "majority" is insufficient; the term's interpretation depends on the context in which it is used. And I'm operating under the premise that we're in the LSAT world, too.

In the LSAT world, "Of the group, most preferred vanilla," is absolutely false. On the other hand, "Of the flavors, vanilla received the most votes" is absolutely correct. My point, again, is that context--even operating strictly in the LSAT world--is relevant.

ETA: OP, given what your complete inability to express yourself suggests about your intelligence, you should probably watch your tone.
Last edited by TERS on Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:35 pm

mrizza wrote:
dingbat wrote:
Like with poop and everything?
and hemorrhoids

uvabro

Bronze

Post by uvabro » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:35 pm

dingbat wrote:
natashka85 wrote:
mrizza wrote:
natashka85 wrote:How many of you agrees that the great majority is most,acc to me it doesnt have to be most but it can be a great number ,so please elaborate on that each of you.
There is no debate on this. Majority is > Half, or "Most".
Majority can be majority number but that doesnt have to be most .lol
Nope.

The definition of majority is more than half.
Most doesn't have to be more than half, if there are several options

Therefore majority is always most, but most is not always majority

But I think you should focus less on the LSAT and more on your mastery of the English language
dude is right on everything

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

suralin

Diamond

Post by suralin » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:36 pm

Ph297 wrote:
dingbat wrote:mrizza reminded me

Yeah real easy to be brutal when ur on a message board. I'm sure ur a real hard ass in real life too.
LOL brutal? dingbat spent some of his time trying to help OP out, and OP is not only unappreciative but also disrespectful--as well as frankly lacking command of the English language. Also, all of our time was wasted with such a dumb question (use Google).

Shmoopy

Bronze

Post by Shmoopy » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:47 pm

natashka85 wrote: we all know that majority can be most ,but great majority of sth doesn`t have to be most,thats what i was saying.
Can we agree that great majority is more than majority? If majority can be most, then great majority can also be most, because great majority has to be more than majority. Furthermore, great majority has to be most, because whatever is not included in the great majority has to have a smaller size than the actual great majority. It doesn't matter if you think most means plurality or more than half. All that matters is that great majority means more than half.

I'm not even sure if this is what you mean though. Your writing is absolute garbage. I've taught people with dyslexia who scored under 250 on each section of the SAT and their writing was easier to follow than yours. Not trying to be mean here, but the exact meanings of most and majority are the least of your worries. Learn how to speak standard English.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:51 pm

Shmoopy wrote:Not trying to be mean here, but the exact meanings of most and majority are the least of your worries. Learn how to speak standard English.
TERS wrote:ETA: OP, given what your complete inability to express yourself suggests about your intelligence, you should probably watch your tone.
Suralin wrote:JFC it's not that hard. You should try using something called Google. Also, work on your English. HTH
dingbat wrote:I think you should focus less on the LSAT and more on your mastery of the English language
Can we get a majority opinion here? Or will the fact that most recommendations say the same suffice?
Last edited by dingbat on Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Silver

Post by A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:55 pm

dingbat wrote:
Shmoopy wrote:Not trying to be mean here, but the exact meanings of most and majority are the least of your worries. Learn how to speak standard English.
Can we get a majority opinion here? Or will the fact that most recommendations say the same suffice?
Its a great majority number butwe don`t know 500 000 of what?it could be 1000 000 or600 000more nice to people,its easier tocriticize someone than to see your ownshortcomings,lol

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”