One more question for lsat instructors Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
ScottRiqui

Gold

Re: One more question for lsat instructors

Post by ScottRiqui » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:29 pm

natashka85 wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:
natashka85 wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:"Great majority" doesn't have a strict definition, but it might help to remember that "great" is referring to the relative size of the group within the whole, not the actual number itself.

There are 143 million women in the U.S., which is a great number, but it's only a very slight majority (50.9%) compared to the number of men. Likewise, the "great majority" (~98%) of U.S. Presidents have been white males, even though there have only been 43 of them.
1)Great majority of americans like Obama.(40 percent)
2)Slight majority hates him 30 percent
3)30 percent is neutral doesn`t feel anything about him
So in this scenario great majority doesn`t have to be most of the people which includes 50 plus 1.
That`s where u are wrong.
Case 1) from you example isn't a majority, it's a plurality.
Case 2) isn't any kind of a majority at all.

When you're talking about a population 'X':

"None of X" means zero percent.
"Some of X" means a percentage greater than zero (could be as high as 100%, although it's not commonly used that way)
"Majority of X" or "Most of X" means some percentage greater than 50%.

"Great majority", "vast majority", or "overwhelming majority" don't have strict definitions, other than the fact that they are majorities (greater than 50%). Personally, I wouldn't use "great majority" unless the majority was more than 80% of the population, and I would save "vast" and "overwhelming" for cases where the majority is greater than 95% of the population.
I understand what u mean,but when we say a great majority of girls we don``t know a great majority of what number which makes me conclude that it could be most of them but doesn`t have to be most of them.
Again, the "great" in "great majority" doesn't depend at all on how large the total population is. See my earlier example about how many women are in the U.S. - 143 million is a great number, but it's barely a majority at all (50.9%).

Shmoopy

Bronze

Post by Shmoopy » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:29 pm

natashka85 wrote: 1)Great majority of americans like Obama.(40 percent)
So in this scenario great majority doesn`t have to be most of the people which includes 50 plus 1.
How is 30% a "slight majority" here? You clearly don't know what the word majority means.

Congrats on upping your syntax from "retarded toddler learning English as a second language" to "regular dumbass." Nobody is going to take you seriously if you don't type like a normal person.

natashka85

Bronze

Post by natashka85 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:32 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:"Great majority" doesn't have a strict definition, but it might help to remember that "great" is referring to the relative size of the group within the whole, not the actual number itself.

There are 143 million women in the U.S., which is a great number, but it's only a very slight majority (50.9%) compared to the number of men. Likewise, the "great majority" (~98%) of U.S. Presidents have been white males, even though there have only been 43 of them.
I think we both are on the same page.

natashka85

Bronze

Post by natashka85 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:33 pm

Shmoopy wrote:
How is 30% a "slight majority" here? You clearly don't know what the word majority means.

Congrats on upping your syntax from "retarded toddler learning English as a second language" to "regular dumbass." Nobody is going to take you seriously if you don't type like a normal person.
30 percent could be a great majority number ,use your brain muscles ,dude

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:34 pm

Shmoopy wrote:

Dude she went to Harvard and is taking LSAT tips from someone who wrote a 170. I don't know ,about you u, but I'm definitely ,taking ,,her seriously.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:37 pm

natashka85 wrote:
Shmoopy wrote:

No, it can't. The very definition of "majority" explicitly states that a majority group must make up more than 50% of the total population.

natashka85

Bronze

Post by natashka85 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:37 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:
Shmoopy wrote:

Dude she went to Harvard and is taking LSAT tips from someone who wrote a 170. I don't know ,about you u, but I'm definitely ,taking ,,her seriously.
U never say someone who wrote a 170 ,u say someone who got a 170.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:37 pm

natashka85 wrote:30 percent could be a great majority number ,use your brain muscles ,dude
No, it can't. 30% cannot be a majority, and therefore cannot be a great majority.

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:38 pm

natashka85 wrote:
John_rizzy_rawls wrote:
Shmoopy wrote:

U never say someone who wrote a 170 ,u say someone who got a 170.
Dats achully exac,ly wat people ,say, look around,,.!?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

natashka85

Bronze

Post by natashka85 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:39 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
natashka85 wrote:
Shmoopy wrote:

No, it can't. The very definition of "majority" explicitly states that a majority group must make up more than 50% of the total population.
slight majority and great majority and majority are not the same thing,u need to make a distinction between these things.

Merylian

Silver

Post by Merylian » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:41 pm

Is no one going to call troll yet? I think I will. (4.0 Harvard UG claim + broken English) x (Utter refusal to acknowledge the definition of majority + temper tantrum style hostility) = home alone and bored on New Years Eve. Five pages in, this can not possibly be a real argument anymore.

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:43 pm

*basically what poster above me said*
Last edited by CardozoLaw09 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:43 pm

natashka85 wrote:slight majority and great majority and majority are not the same thing,u need to make a distinction between these things.
Slight majority and great majority are subsets of majority. 50.01% is a slight majority, whereas 90% is a great majority. Anything less than 50% is not a majority, a slight majority, or a great majority

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:44 pm

Merylian wrote:Is no one going to call troll yet? I think I will. (4.0 Harvard UG claim + broken English) x (Utter refusal to acknowledge the definition of majority + temper tantrum style hostility) = home alone and bored on New Years Eve. Five pages in, this can not possibly be a real argument anymore.
Nah, having looked at past posts, this is just an idiot. I don't believe the Harvard 4.0 claim, and think that was the kind of honest reporting that her idol, dave hall, taught her.

natashka85

Bronze

Post by natashka85 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:49 pm

dingbat wrote:
Merylian wrote:Is no one going to call troll yet? I think I will. (4.0 Harvard UG claim + broken English) x (Utter refusal to acknowledge the definition of majority + temper tantrum style hostility) = home alone and bored on New Years Eve. Five pages in, this can not possibly be a real argument anymore.
Nah, having looked at past posts, this is just an idiot. I don't believe the Harvard 4.0 claim, and think that was the kind of honest reporting that her idol, dave hall, taught her.
Your are stupid,so go and learn Lsat ,numbers and percentages,otherwise someone will kick your ass in court,majority of what (number) 5,4,3(5 is a majority compared to 4,4 is a majority compared to 3 ) out of 10.So you would better not mix these things.

suralin

Diamond

Post by suralin » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:51 pm

dingbat wrote:
natashka85 wrote:slight majority and great majority and majority are not the same thing,u need to make a distinction between these things.
Slight majority and great majority are subsets of majority. 50.01% is a slight majority, whereas 90% is a great majority. Anything less than 50% is not a majority, a slight majority, or a great majority
OP needs to learn what a subset is first, I don't think her Harvard education taught her that.

Don't think OP is a troll; probably just someone not all that smart (by that I mean stupid) who lied about his/her undergrad.

Shmoopy

Bronze

Post by Shmoopy » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:53 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:No one's called flame yet? Seems like yall are being trolled hard; claims to be from Harvard + 4.0 GPA and unable to communicate using proper syntax?
I've been reading op's post history for the lols, and I'm not really sure... Lots of concern about the LSAT. Harvard maybe, 4.0 definitely not. Nobody who knows how to get a 4.0 anywhere would have these kinds of questions, but the level of stupidity present at top schools never ceases to amaze me. I went to an ivy and I've known people who can't wrap their heads around things like counter examples, contrapositives, etc. I know a girl who is in med school now and needed a room full of people arguing with her to accept that there are no actual bones in the human penis.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:54 pm

natashka85 wrote:
dingbat wrote:
Your are stupid,so go and learn Lsat ,numbers and percentages,otherwise someone will kick your ass in court,majority of what (number) 5,4,3(5 is a majority compared to 4,4 is a majority compared to 3 ) out of 10.So you would better not mix these things.
If you're talking about a total population of 10, then NO group can be accurately described as ANY kind of a "majority" unless that group has at least six members.

Four out of ten is a larger group than three out of ten, but neither group is a majority. Five out of ten isn't a majority either.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:56 pm

natashka85 wrote:Your are stupid,so go and learn Lsat ,numbers and percentages,otherwise someone will kick your ass in court,majority of what (number) 5,4,3(5 is a majority compared to 4,4 is a majority compared to 3 ) out of 10.So you would better not mix these things.
A) I'm MENSA eligible, so I'm not stupid
B) I don't need to learn LSAT, I'm already in law school
C) I know far more about numbers and percentages than you do (and most people on this board, I'd wager)
D) your example is still not correct. 5 is greater than 4 which is greater than 3. If the distribution is 5, 4, 3, none of these are a majority, but 5 is a plurality. Also, this doesn't add up to 10, but to 12. (if you mean 5 out of 10, it's still not a majority)
E) you keep repeating yourself, but you're still wrong. Seriously. Look it up in a dictionary, or use google, or ask someone who knows english - ask one of your harvard professors
F) I don't ever intend to see the inside of a courtroom. But if I do, sure, there's a chance I'll get my ass kicked, but not because you think I don't understand the English language
G) I'm not the one mixing things up

Shmoopy

Bronze

Post by Shmoopy » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:56 pm

natashka85 wrote: Your are stupid,so go and learn Lsat ,numbers and percentages,otherwise someone will kick your ass in court,majority of what (number) 5,4,3(5 is a majority compared to 4,4 is a majority compared to 3 ) out of 10.So you would better not mix these things.
"I object your honor, 5 is a great majority number out of 3."

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:59 pm

natashka85 wrote: Your are stupid,so go and learn Lsat ,numbers and percentages,otherwise someone will kick your ass in court,majority of what (number) 5,4,3(5 is a majority compared to 4,4 is a majority compared to 3 ) out of 10.So you would better not mix these things.
No.

Youre thinking plurality.

Majority is more than half of a total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:01 am

Natashka85,

I know a few of us have used this term, but you should look up "plurality" - I think it will help clear up your misunderstanding.

If the largest group within a population doesn't make up more than 50% of the population, it's NOT a majority. It *is* a plurality, however.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:10 am

ScottRiqui wrote:Natashka85,

I know a few of us have used this term, but you should look up "plurality" - I think it will help clear up your misunderstanding.

If the largest group within a population doesn't make up more than 50% of the population, it's NOT a majority. It *is* a plurality, however.
I don't think she's willing to look things up

Merylian

Silver

Post by Merylian » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:15 am

natashka85 wrote:
dingbat wrote:
What is this I don't even.

You know what, I hope it's all true. I hope you really DID get a 4.0, and that you also get an awesome LSAT score. I wish I could be a fly on the wall when an admissions committee reads through your application, lusts after your numbers, and then is utterly terrified by your personal statement (assuming it has even a passing resemblance to your communications here). Do they pass up an awesome number set when they're becoming rarer by the year, or do they allow someone to matriculate who is either abrasively ignorant or frighteningly close to the edge of sane?

Seriously. I bet some adcomms would toss and turn over that decision.

*Edit: And by that, I mean the wrong edge of sane.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:22 am

Merylian wrote:What is this I don't even.

You know what, I hope it's all true. I hope you really DID get a 4.0, and that you also get an awesome LSAT score. I wish I could be a fly on the wall when an admissions committee reads through your application, lusts after your numbers, and then is utterly terrified by your personal statement (assuming it has even a passing resemblance to your communications here). Do they pass up an awesome number set when they're becoming rarer by the year, or do they allow someone to matriculate who is either abrasively ignorant or frighteningly close to the edge of sane?

Seriously. I bet some adcomms would toss and turn over that decision.

*Edit: And by that, I mean the wrong edge of sane.
I just wish this person was in my section (the curve...)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”