Is it normal to have trouble subvocalizing words Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
cause8191

New

Is it normal to have trouble subvocalizing words

Post by cause8191 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:46 pm

A couple years ago, I learned how to speed read and, as such, taught me to stop subvocalizing words in head, emphasize quantity of material over quality of comprehension, and look past details. I have developed a tendency to understand more from my reading when I have a lot to read and claims are lengthily developed rather than short stimuli with broad, categorical claims, which is obviously an enormous problem. This problem applies mostly to LR.

Here is what I normally do:

I subvocalize the words in my head, and go over them many times before I even have any idea what's being claimed. I also get distracted and lose my focus while reading these short passages.

I will go through the passage and underline stuff while reading it, and I also have a tendency to read sentences many times before I move on to the next sentence.

Words get fluttered in my head. Maybe I have trouble adjusting to the LSAT while being a visual learner. I need to see the action, or at least have an image of what's being claimed, before I can comprehend the claim.

I think I know what to do and how to approach the LR and RC sections, but I just don't put it into practice because of my muddled reading. This could just be one of many reasons why I am having trouble so far (at least I can understand this kind of causation flaw). Maybe I just am not familiar enough with the content yet.

Is there any way to fix this problem?

laxbrah420

Gold

Re: Is it normal to have trouble subvocalizing words

Post by laxbrah420 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:50 pm

It is normal for children and people with autism

suralin

Diamond

Post by suralin » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:25 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:It is normal for children and people with autism
Most helpful poster?

WhoIsDaveGalt

New

Post by WhoIsDaveGalt » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:50 pm

As you probably realize, subvocalizing does help your comprehension. The problem is it can sometimes take the place of comprehension when it's all you do, and it also definitely puts a cap on your reading speed. You say you are a visual learner, but I think most humans are. Our sight is by far our dominant sense, and our ability to visualize things that can't even be seen is probably also unique.

Here's what you should try. Try to conceptualize and visualize what you are reading. This will make your reading more meaningful to you because you will be truly concentrating on it and thinking about what it really means. To do this usually requires thinking about more than one word at a time, but instead thinking about each idea fragment as you read it. This takes some practice to do it naturally because you are exercising your brain in a way that you normally wouldn't--you are trying to do two things at once: read AND understand.

And because this conceptualizing improves your comprehension, you will do less vocalizing--simply because you no longer need it as a crutch. You will quickly be seeing the real meaning of what you read; and in fact will probably even find it difficult to visualize and vocalize at the same time.

If you want to see some more information about this, you could take a look at a free course available at http://www.readspeeder.com. Hope this helps.

cause8191

New

Post by cause8191 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:34 pm

WhoIsDaveGalt wrote:
If you want to see some more information about this, you could take a look at a free course available at http://www.readspeeder.com. Hope this helps.
That link is actually really interesting. I might look like an idiot with my finger moving under the words, but I will certainly start practicing answering questions with this technique.

Maybe the problem is that since I have become a very fast reader and I think that I have to slow down while reading through the LSAT, I am reading too slowly, which is forcing my mind to muddle up the words and take forever to sort through the info.

I feel like I am 4 yours old and learning how to read for the first time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

willwash

Bronze

Post by willwash » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:26 pm

!Kung

twinkletoes16

Silver

Post by twinkletoes16 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:39 pm

Suralin wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:It is normal for children and people with autism