TLS LSAT Guides, Advice, and Tools Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
soj

Platinum

TLS LSAT Guides, Advice, and Tools

Post by soj » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:19 pm

GUIDES

ampersand5's Beginners' guide to the LSAT

Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide
Review of Pithypike's guide by TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Many TLSers' bible, a 3-month guide to self-studying that relies heavily on studying question types within the different sections and drilling for comprehension, followed by a month of practice testing with review. Frequently recommended for those interested in self-studying, with minimum financial investment required. As with all self-studying, definitely best for those who are self-motivated, but the prescribed timeline will help those who need a plan to stick with.
TLS1776's Thoughts on the LSAT
Review of TLS1776's guide by TheMostDangerousLG wrote:My personal favorite (love you, TLS1776!). A 180 scorer gives a thorough description of his test taking experience. Includes reviews of many of the most popular LSAT prep books (and beyond), with helpful descriptions and recommendations for their use. Goes into lots of detail on every aspect of the test, including lifestyle tips and beyond. Unlike Pithypike's guide, there's no pre-prescribed timeline or plan set out, but if you like obsessing over details and are motivated by emulating top test takers, this is the perfect self-study guide for you. I'd recommend it for those who want to self-study, explore a lot of prep material, and are comfortable or prefer mixing up their studying as they go rather than trying to stick with a laid-out plan. Bonus: contains download links for documents full of extra tips and handy diagrams.
NoodleyOne's Foolproof Guide to a 179 for Retakers

Daily_Double's thoughts on the LSAT

Voyager's Reading Comprehension Strategy

ADVICE

How to get 160+ on the LSAT

How to Balance Your LSAT Prep with Work and School
LSAT Blog discusses how to balance LSAT prep with other obligations.

TOOLS/DISCOUNTS

LR questions organized by type

Princeton Review LSAT Promo Codes -- $250 discount
And finally, those of you interested in enrolling in the Princeton Review LSAT course can utilize these promo codes to receive a significant ($250) discount.

ARTICLES

These four articles document the methods and study habits of four different TLS users who aced the LSAT.

Objection's LSAT Tips - "Main Point" Questions (LR)
Objection's LSAT Tips - "Role" Questions (LR)
Objection's LSAT Tips - "In/Out" Games
Objection's LSAT Tips - Multiple Group Games
"Objection", a TLS Forum user, wrote these articles describing his successful approaches to various Logical Reasoning and Logic Games question types.

A Lesson in Conditional Reasoning
A 180-scoring TLS user (on his way to Yale Law School in the fall) explores conditional reasoning and its importance in LSAT success.

How I Scored a 180 - Article #1
How I Scored a 180 - Article #2
How I Scored a 180 - Article #3
How I Scored a 180 - Article #4

soj

Platinum

Re: LSAT Guides, Advice, and Tools

Post by soj » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:36 pm

LSAT preppers and score waiters:

I think brief descriptions of these guides would be helpful for first-time TLS users. Since it's been a while since I was in LSAT prep mode, you can help by writing very short reviews of these guides describing why they're helpful, and for whom they would be most helpful. I'll incorporate your reviews into the above post.

LSAT Blog

Silver

Post by LSAT Blog » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:16 pm

A lot of folks swear by Voyager's RC guide: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... f=6&t=7240

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:06 pm

LSAT Blog wrote:A lot of folks swear by Voyager's RC guide: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... f=6&t=7240
Good call, thanks.

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:22 am

soj wrote:LSAT preppers and score waiters:

I think brief descriptions of these guides would be helpful for first-time TLS users. Since it's been a while since I was in LSAT prep mode, you can help by writing very short reviews of these guides describing why they're helpful, and for whom they would be most helpful. I'll incorporate your reviews into the above post.
Ooo, I'll jump in. God knows I've obsessively read and re-read several of these threads.

Here's how I'd describe a couple:

Pithypike's guide: Many TLSers' bible, a 3-month guide to self-studying that relies heavily on studying question types within the different sections and drilling for comprehension, followed by a month of practice testing with review. Frequently recommended for those interested in self-studyin, with minimum financial investment required. As with all self-studying, definitely best for those who are self-motivated, but the prescribed timeline will help those who need a plan to stick with.

TLS1776's Thoughts on the LSAT: My personal favorite (love you, TLS1776!). A 180 scorer gives a thorough description of his test taking experience. Includes reviews of many of the most popular LSAT prep books (and beyond), with helpful descriptions and recommendations for their use. Goes into lots of detail on every aspect of the test, including lifestyle tips and beyond. Unlike Pithypike's guide, there's no pre-prescribed timeline or plan set out, but if you like obsessing over details and are motivated by emulating top test takers, this is the perfect self-study guide for you. I'd recommend it for those who want to self-study, explore a lot of prep material, and are comfortable or prefer mixing up their studying as they go rather than trying to stick with a laid-out plan. Bonus: contains download links for documents full of extra tips and handy diagrams.

Sorry, rambling.. so much for a succinct summary. Just love that guide! I imagine someone else can summarize Pithypike's guide better; I've gone through it a few times but haven't personally tried it by the letter.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dkb17xzx

Bronze

Post by dkb17xzx » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:31 am

lsatqa.com

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:42 am

Thanks, TheMostDangerousLG. Great username, btw.

@dkb17xzx: That looks helpful (only took a quick glance), but this thread is for TLS resources.

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:47 pm

soj wrote:Thanks, TheMostDangerousLG. Great username, btw.

@dkb17xzx: That looks helpful (only took a quick glance), but this thread is for TLS resources.
No problem. And thanks! :D

Hurm, I just noticed I used the phrase "and beyond" twice in my review of TLS1776's thread. Well, that's just terrible writing. Still, not inaccurate descriptions. That man is thorough.

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:06 am

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
No problem. And thanks! :D

Hurm, I just noticed I used the phrase "and beyond" twice in my review of TLS1776's thread. Well, that's just terrible writing. Still, not inaccurate descriptions. That man is thorough.
It's the Buzz Lightyear of LSAT guides. Pithypike is clearly Woody.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TLS1988

New

Post by TLS1988 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:00 pm

Does anyone know why the TLS1776 Thoughts on the LSAT is no longer available?

Balthy

Silver

Post by Balthy » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:13 pm

LSATBlog and 7sage are essential for me. Great logic games explanations, but also much more.

And http://www.lsatqa.com for tracking weaknesses.

I'm also wondering why TLS1776's post is no longer available. Sucks because I just discovered it yesterday and only read through half.

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:14 pm

superdingle2000 wrote:I'm also wondering why TLS1776's post is no longer available. Sucks because I just discovered it yesterday and only read through half.
It's available again.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”