Read Questions First On Reading Comp?

nosleeptillsuccess

Read Questions First On Reading Comp?

Postby nosleeptillsuccess » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:42 pm

Do you read the questions first for reading comp?

why or why not?

bitsy

Re: Read Questions First On Reading Comp?

Postby bitsy » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:47 pm

i wouldnt. it takes up time, and i'm going to be rereading them anyway. its distracting to have 8 thoughts rattling around in my head when im trying to read a passage. try it both ways and see what works for you, but the consensus on here: dont.

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=200003&p=6182290&hilit=+read+questions+first#p6182290

natashka85

Postby natashka85 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:52 pm

it all comes down to finding that freaking phrase in the passage and matching up with the answer choices,i would do that for the 4th passage when i dont have enough time left or maybe for specific reference questions,so basically my best advice to u,dont listen to people everybody teaches lsat the way it works best for him,there is no universal way that works for everybody,so find the way that works best for you and always remember this flaw just because he says that doesnt mean its true,lol.

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:17 pm

natashka85 wrote:it all comes down to finding that freaking phrase in the passage and matching up with the answer choices,i would do that for the 4th passage when i dont have enough time left or maybe for specific reference questions,so basically my best advice to u,dont listen to people everybody teaches lsat the way it works best for him,there is no universal way that works for everybody,so find the way that works best for you and always remember this flaw just because he says that doesnt mean its true,lol.

LOL 180 logic

Brody

Postby Brody » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:42 pm

I find it helpful to skim the questions before reading the passage. You can generally anticipate the greatest hits questions like "What is the main point?" and "What would the author most likely agree with?" and should have prephrased responses ready. Taking a few seconds to look over the questions and see if there are any that refer to specific paragraphs, lines, or words has, for me, always helped. For instance, if I see a question that asks about the meaning of the phrase "biochemical structure" in line 51, I will put a box around the phrase in the passage. That way, I will know what to be on the lookout for while I'm reading. This usually gives me a sense of foundation when I approach the passage and shaves off a few seconds, in my experience.

In short, I would skim but not read the questions beforehand. Reading takes up too much time and generally results in you having to reread the question when you get to it. Skimming, however, allows you to get a sense of the passage before reading and allows you to spot those important "treasure hunt" phrases and be prepared to consider them when you reach them in the passage.

This method has always worked fairly well for me, as I have never gone more than -3 on an RC section, and typically average in the -1 or -2 range.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”