Reading Comp Book Suggestion

nosleeptillsuccess

Reading Comp Book Suggestion

Postby nosleeptillsuccess » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:25 am

I have the Powerscore Reading Comp book.. it was not helpful, especially compared to the LR and LG bibles...

Is it worth it to invest in the Manhattan Reading Comp book???

If so, what's the difference? Pros and cons??

Thanks

scottyc66

Re: Reading Comp Book Suggestion

Postby scottyc66 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:49 am

nosleeptillsuccess wrote:I have the Powerscore Reading Comp book.. it was not helpful, especially compared to the LR and LG bibles...

Is it worth it to invest in the Manhattan Reading Comp book???

If so, what's the difference? Pros and cons??

Thanks

Manhattan was definitely better than Powerscore, but RC is more subject to natural ability and repetition than the other sections. It's less learnable and more about finding your own style, note-taking method, and pacing.

nosleeptillsuccess

Postby nosleeptillsuccess » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:47 am

How is it better then??

nosleeptillsuccess

Postby nosleeptillsuccess » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:55 am

Also how in the world do you take notes and STILL have time to complete 4 sections?

scottyc66

Postby scottyc66 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:12 pm

nosleeptillsuccess wrote:Also how in the world do you take notes and STILL have time to complete 4 sections?

Most of the notes I made weren't legible and wouldn't help someone if they used them. For me, they were used mostly to keep me on topic, and reinforce the main ideas. I would jot a couple words for every paragraph then at the end of every paragraph scribble a three(ish) word synopsis.

Many of the questions ask you to separate certain information or certain paragraphs so it's helpful to make those distinctions while you're reading. In my case, I had difficulty doing that until I read the Manhattan RC guide. It helped me hone in on certain trends and things I should be aware of (opinions, comparisons, etc). I also read anything I could on this site from people with seemingly solid RC advice (bpshinners is the first one who comes to mind).

The notes don't take very much time and they help you avoid going back to the passage for every question. The strategies really helped me with consistency.

nosleeptillsuccess

Postby nosleeptillsuccess » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:35 pm

With this method are you able to finish 4 sections??

bitsy

Postby bitsy » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:37 pm

yes. it cuts down on rereading time.

scottyc66

Postby scottyc66 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:42 pm

nosleeptillsuccess wrote:With this method are you able to finish 4 sections??

I'm not a fast reader and certainly not naturally gifted at LSAT RC and I finish with a couple minutes usually

chadbrochill

Postby chadbrochill » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:43 pm

this method helped me a lot

the way i think of it: if you can't quickly sum up and distill the paragraph you just read, you will probably be wasting much more time later on during questions.

writing a short synopsis (3-5 words) kinda just forces you to think about what you read and how it relates.

scottyc66

Postby scottyc66 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:49 pm

chadbrochill wrote:this method helped me a lot

the way i think of it: if you can't quickly sum up and distill the paragraph you just read, you will probably be wasting much more time later on during questions.

writing a short synopsis (3-5 words) kinda just forces you to think about what you read and how it relates.

chad is asian and thus a more reliable source than me

sooooo, credited

nosleeptillsuccess

Postby nosleeptillsuccess » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:13 pm

With this method, how much time should it take you to finish reading/marking up the passage?

scottyc66

Postby scottyc66 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:18 pm

nosleeptillsuccess wrote:With this method, how much time should it take you to finish reading/marking up the passage?

I wouldn't be too strict about it but somewhere around 2:30 for me usually, give or take 30 seconds.

Like I said, RC is a lot about finding your own pacing and strategy. If you can go through it in 3:30 and have a high enough comprehension to blow through 7 questions in 5 minutes then that should be your strategy. It's just about trial and error and finding that sweet spot where you have enough comprehension and enough time to do the questions.

PickMe!

Postby PickMe! » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:35 pm

RC is more subject to natural ability and repetition than the other sections. It's less learnable and more about finding your own style, note-taking method, and pacing.

+1

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:41 pm

scottyc66 wrote:
nosleeptillsuccess wrote:Also how in the world do you take notes and STILL have time to complete 4 sections?

Most of the notes I made weren't legible and wouldn't help someone if they used them. For me, they were used mostly to keep me on topic, and reinforce the main ideas. I would jot a couple words for every paragraph then at the end of every paragraph scribble a three(ish) word synopsis.

Many of the questions ask you to separate certain information or certain paragraphs so it's helpful to make those distinctions while you're reading. In my case, I had difficulty doing that until I read the Manhattan RC guide. It helped me hone in on certain trends and things I should be aware of (opinions, comparisons, etc). I also read anything I could on this site from people with seemingly solid RC advice (bpshinners is the first one who comes to mind).

The notes don't take very much time and they help you avoid going back to the passage for every question. The strategies really helped me with consistency.

+1

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”