Should i sign up for this Powerscore class?

LawyerBrah

Should i sign up for this Powerscore class?

Postby LawyerBrah » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:56 pm

Last edited by LawyerBrah on Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Br3v

Re: Should i sign up for this Powerscore class?

Postby Br3v » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:04 pm

LawyerBrah wrote:6-10 PM (4 days a week), for a little over a month
1300 dollars
One hour commute each way
Six people signed up for the class

I contacted Power-score and an instructor still hasn't been assigned to the class (It starts January 2)

Need to decide today -- otherwise, i probably won't get the books mailed to me in time.

What do you guys think? My biggest concern is spending 1300 dollars and getting a bad instructor.

You can self teach using the books (I did) but if you have the $ I doubt even a bad instructor would hurt. But Powerscore is a good company and I think have pretty rigid standards for tutors.

LawyerBrah

Postby LawyerBrah » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:13 pm

Br3v wrote:You can self teach using the books (I did) but if you have the $ I doubt even a bad instructor would hurt. But Powerscore is a good company and I think have pretty rigid standards for tutors.

I'm pretty set on taking a class at this point. I think it would help me get all the basics down in the next month, which would then allow me a few months to go over actual LSAT exams and possibly the Manhattan LSAT series. Honestly, taking a class with some type of structure would help keep me motivated.

Mik Ekim

Postby Mik Ekim » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:33 pm

It is completely reasonable for you to base your decision on teacher quality, and it would be completely unreasonable for Powerscore to expect you to sign up for a course, with no way to get your $ back, if they haven't even told you who is teaching the course.

I've got to imagine that it's pretty unusual for them to not have a teacher assigned to the class so close to the starting date -- because it's a special circumstance, if you explain to them that your decision is based on the instructor, I've got to imagine Powerscore will work with you and either a) let you sign up but refund your $ if you don't like the teacher in session 1 or b) let you sit in on session 1, then decide.

The concern of spending the $ and getting a bad instructor is a legitimate one -- even more important than the money is the fact that the LSAT is critically important to your career, and you want to make sure that you get a teacher who is really going to help you.

scottyc66

Postby scottyc66 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:36 pm

Mik Ekim wrote:It is completely reasonable for you to base your decision on teacher quality, and it would be completely unreasonable for Powerscore to expect you to sign up for a course, with no way to get your $ back, if they haven't even told you who is teaching the course.

I've got to imagine that it's pretty unusual for them to not have a teacher assigned to the class so close to the starting date -- because it's a special circumstance, if you explain to them that your decision is based on the instructor, I've got to imagine Powerscore will work with you and either a) let you sign up but refund your $ if you don't like the teacher in session 1 or b) let you sit in on session 1, then decide.

The concern of spending the $ and getting a bad instructor is a legitimate one -- even more important than the money is the fact that the LSAT is critically important to your career, and you want to make sure that you get a teacher who is really going to help you.

I wouldn't think that's a safe assumption

Grond

Postby Grond » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:48 pm

1300 dollars

I contacted Power-score and an instructor still hasn't been assigned to the class (It starts January 2)

Need to decide today -- otherwise, i probably won't get the books mailed to me in time.

What do you guys think? My biggest concern is spending 1300 dollars and getting a bad instructor.

As of this morning, all courses starting Jan. 2nd have a confirmed instructor, call the Powerscore home office and they can tell you who it is.

LawyerBrah

Postby LawyerBrah » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:48 pm

Mik Ekim wrote:It is completely reasonable for you to base your decision on teacher quality, and it would be completely unreasonable for Powerscore to expect you to sign up for a course, with no way to get your $ back, if they haven't even told you who is teaching the course.

I spoke with them on three different occasions and no offer was made for a refund. Basically, I was informed that they'd email be once an instructor has been assigned. To make things worse -- it can take up to a week to receive the class materials. Powerscore claims: an offer was made to two different instructors, none of whom have accepted yet, though one should accept within the next day or two. No information given about either of them.

LawyerBrah

Postby LawyerBrah » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:49 pm

Grond wrote:As of this morning, all courses starting Jan. 2nd have a confirmed instructor, call the Powerscore home office and they can tell you who it is.

Mind me asking, how you know that?

Mik Ekim

Postby Mik Ekim » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:51 pm

wow -- that's surprising -- sorry to hear that.

Grond

Postby Grond » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:52 pm

LawyerBrah wrote:
Grond wrote:As of this morning, all courses starting Jan. 2nd have a confirmed instructor, call the Powerscore home office and they can tell you who it is.

Mind me asking, how you know that?

I saw this thread and talked to the guy in charge of assigning instructors.

LawyerBrah

Postby LawyerBrah » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:21 pm

Grond wrote:
LawyerBrah wrote:
Grond wrote:

Thanks a lot!

Just contacted them; turns out that an instructor was assigned

Instructor received a J.D from NYU in 1994.

He received a "47" from the old LSAT scoring system, which I'm not familiar with.

What would that equate to today? I'm probably going to sign up today.

Teflon_Don

Postby Teflon_Don » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:43 pm

1300 dollars

No.

Grond

Postby Grond » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:26 pm

LawyerBrah wrote:
Grond wrote:
LawyerBrah wrote:
Grond wrote:

Thanks a lot!

Just contacted them; turns out that an instructor was assigned

Instructor received a J.D from NYU in 1994.

He received a "47" from the old LSAT scoring system, which I'm not familiar with.

What would that equate to today? I'm probably going to sign up today.

The old scale was 10-48. When the scoring scale changed in june 91 the perfect 48 was equated to the 174-180 scores, so I presume that makes a 47 equal to a 173. Also, a 171 was 99th percentile back then.

Postby 03152016 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:02 am

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”