Best LSAT prep material for 175+ goal?

jcccc

Best LSAT prep material for 175+ goal?

Postby jcccc » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:32 pm

Would just the Powerscore LG and LR bibles plus the official LSAT preptests be sufficient for 175+?
Or is there any "must-have" LSAT prep materials? I heard the Manhattan LG and LR books are pretty good for people aiming for 175+.

Cicero76

Re: Best LSAT prep material for 175+ goal?

Postby Cicero76 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:43 pm

You must have Manhattan for 175+, and it isn't very close. As I said in my Amazon review of their books, it just isn't close.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:31 am

All I used was the powerscore LG bible and tons of prep tests.

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:40 am

sinfiery wrote:All I used was the powerscore LG bible and tons of prep tests.

Yurp.

To flesh out the idea a bit, if you're aiming for 175+ your focus needs to be on reducing error rather than getting more points. The LG Bible should give you enough practice that you can ace the games section (though I rarely did) and the full practice tests should allow you to have the process down cold. The LSAT shouldn't be a difficult test once you have the hang of it. It is predictable and doesn't have trick questions. You just need to be sure that you can perform at a high level on test day.

I'm not really sure how people move from lower 170s to mid 170s in general (beyond the above) but I'm certain that focusing on full length practice tests will let you move from scoring a 175 once in a while to consistently scoring no lower than 175.

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:06 am

Cambridge packets by question type for LR. Manhattan Bundle. Lots of preptests.

Postby 03152016 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:18 am

Last edited by 03152016 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:28 pm

armedwithamind wrote:Cambridge packets by question type for LR. Manhattan Bundle. Lots of preptests.

+1

fzj

Postby fzj » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:33 pm

Hey to be honest getting a 175 is definitely not easy. It will take you some time depending on your familiarity with formal logic and your reading comp skills. The problem that I have found with most LSAT courses is that you lose access to the materials after 2-3 months which is a problem if you have not reached your target score.

One option that comes with lifetime access is NOPE I downloaded it for free from the App Store and then ended up buying the full course. To my knowledge, outside of text books, this is the only LSAT prep option on the market with no time constraints. Much better than a book because the video lessons mimic in-class instruction.

Here's the link and hope this helped! Best of luck!

EDITED BY MODS WHO FIND IT MORE THAT A BIT SUSPICIOUS THAT A FIRST-TIME POSTER WOULD OFFER SUCH HELPFUL ADVICE OUT OF THE GOODNESS OF THEIR HEART.

fastforward

Postby fastforward » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:40 pm

I've been away from here for quite a while but I couldn't resist throwing in my two cents worth on this one. We are a very small prep outfit and we change it up depending on the individual client's needs. The only non-negotiable prep item is as many recent official prep tests as time allows. Do five-section and -- a tip we learned from Steve of LSAT Blog fame -- six-section tests for endurance as well. You can make your own from putting old sections into recent tests. Cambridge has five-section tests, which are great for those who will slack if you know which is the "experimental" section. They also have individual sections of old tests for the DIYer. We swear by Cambridge grouped-by-type LGs and LRs. We like the Powerscore LR Bible, and all our 170+ clients I can recall used it extensively. RC is tricky; it must be the right fit for your particular learning style. We have an assortment in our library and find that most clients seem to like Manhattan's RC approach. Try going on Amazon and using the "Look Inside" option when available to see what clicks with you. Read reviews for opinions based on specific pros and cons rather than descriptive adjectives.

Hope this helps.

Disclaimer: I have no financial relationship with any of the marketers of the materials I mention here.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”