First diagnostic

Django

First diagnostic

Postby Django » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:27 pm

I just took the sample 2007 LSAT timed and I got 84 (163-164ish I think) on it. I don't know for sure if I want to go to law school yet, but I'm trying to get some sense of where I could be at if I chose to go.

Anyways, my GPA is a 3.52 and to be perfectly honest it won't be much prettier (maybe 3.6 at best) in a year with real analysis, etc. coming up on my schedule. I got -7 on the games, -5 on reading, and -2 and -3 on the other two sections. The games are definitely tough, I'm surprised I didn't get more wrong.

How reasonable is a 170+ given my initial diagnostic? I've been looking at myLSN and LSP outside of HYS a lot of schools still seem within reach despite my less than stellar GPA (assuming I break into the mid 170s :roll: ). Is CCN a possibility? I imagine going from 163-175 is substantially more difficult than say, 150-162. Oh and I've been lurking this shindig for like 24 hours tops so my apologies if my topic is entirely redundant. Just trying to get some insight. Thanks.

itachiuchiha

Re: First diagnostic

Postby itachiuchiha » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:29 pm

Django wrote:I just took the sample 2007 LSAT timed and I got 84 (163-164ish I think) on it. I don't know for sure if I want to go to law school yet, but I'm trying to get some sense of where I could be at if I chose to go.

Anyways, my GPA is a 3.52 and to be perfectly honest it won't be much prettier (maybe 3.6 at best) in a year with real analysis, etc. coming up on my schedule. I got -7 on the games, -5 on reading, and -2 and -3 on the other two sections. The games are definitely tough, I'm surprised I didn't get more wrong.

How reasonable is a 170+ given my initial diagnostic? I've been looking at myLSN and LSP outside of HYS a lot of schools still seem within reach despite my less than stellar GPA (assuming I break into the mid 170s :roll: ). Is CCN a possibility? I imagine going from 163-175 is substantially more difficult than say, 150-162. Oh and I've been lurking this shindig for like 24 hours tops so my apologies if my topic is entirely redundant. Just trying to get some insight. Thanks.

with some studying you are in a good position to get above a 170. get some books, watch some videos, take some practice tests and you are good to go

scottyc66

Postby scottyc66 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:38 pm

Django wrote:I just took the sample 2007 LSAT timed and I got 84 (163-164ish I think) on it. I don't know for sure if I want to go to law school yet, but I'm trying to get some sense of where I could be at if I chose to go.

You're in great shape, man. If you lurk around here a little bit longer you'll see that LG is the easiest section to improve to consistently getting -0/-1.
Since you aren't looking at applying until next cycle you have plenty of time to study up could definitely be consistently scoring in the 170s.

Django

Postby Django » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:44 pm

If I could get logic games to near perfect that would be great. The other sections really just need tweaking... I need to get better at reading incredibly boring passages haha. Thanks though I'll look around for logic games help, I've already stumbled across some guides in the last few minutes on here.

TERS

Postby TERS » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:38 pm

If you scored a 163 (84 credited was a 163 for June 07) on a cold diagnostic under strict conditions, there's no doubt that you can break 170 with practice/studying.

Your worst section was LG which, thankfully for you, is the most susceptible to practice. Think about it this way: You're capable of scoring -2 for a single LR section and, with a month of diligent practice/studying, you can get LG down to -0. If you scored -0, -2, -2, -5 on LG, LR, LR, RC, respectively, you would've had 170 (and that's assuming you don't improve RC). That's a very unthoughtful way of looking at things, but I think it's sufficient to demonstrate that, yes, you can get to 170+.

If you took your diagnostic under strict conditions and your result was not an outlier, my recommendation to you would be the following.

1. Take as many practice tests as you can and review each thoroughly
2. Buy an LG guide (say Manhattan or Powerscore (or both)) to develop tactics and a strategy that are conducive to your way of thinking, and drill as many games as you can.

Django

Postby Django » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:55 pm

Yeah thanks I might be picking up the MLSAT or Powerscore guides. Probably not both, but we'll see. I definitely will be taking lots of practice tests.

I know everyone has different experiences with improving the LG section, but what is a reasonable timetable to achieve this proficiency that so many TLS users seem to have? If the real test ends up being anything like the June '07 one (the rather harsh curve seems to suggest this one was comparatively easy), I think I could get RC and the 2 LRs down to around -4 total or less without much difficulty, but I'm still not sold on the LG.

-4 on the '07 test is a 175 though, and I would be absolutely ecstatic with that score. :mrgreen:

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:01 pm

Django wrote:Yeah thanks I might be picking up the MLSAT or Powerscore guides. Probably not both, but we'll see. I definitely will be taking lots of practice tests.

I know everyone has different experiences with improving the LG section, but what is a reasonable timetable to achieve this proficiency that so many TLS users seem to have? If the real test ends up being anything like the June '07 one (the rather harsh curve seems to suggest this one was comparatively easy), I think I could get RC and the 2 LRs down to around -4 total or less without much difficulty, but I'm still not sold on the LG.

-4 on the '07 test is a 175 though, and I would be absolutely ecstatic with that score. :mrgreen:

Don't worry about LG, you'll be fine. RC is the hardest to get consistently strong scores on (for most people). If you put in the time you'll almost definitely get to -0 LG consistently.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:07 pm

You out scored 90% of test takers, cold.

Youre in great shape to hit 170+

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”