Focus Practice Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Ask Me Not

New

Focus Practice

Post by Ask Me Not » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:37 pm

Hi, guys, was wondering if anybody have experienced the same thing or maybe some feedbacks for me? 

I can focus and study for my LSAT for about fifty minutes, and then my brain gets tired. What's worse? I realized that my brain does not want to come back to LSAT questions after a short break. Isn't it weird?

Any feedback, please?

How do you schedule/balance your study time?

Thank you!

cynthiad

Bronze

Re: Focus Practice

Post by cynthiad » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:40 pm

Ask Me Not wrote:Hi, guys, was wondering if anybody have experienced the same thing or maybe some feedbacks for me? 

I can focus and study for my LSAT for about fifty minutes, and then my brain gets tired. What's worse? I realized that my brain does not want to come back to LSAT questions after a short break. Isn't it weird?

Any feedback, please?

How do you schedule/balance your study time?

Thank you!
You have to learn to push through it. How are you practicing? Fifty minutes isn't even two sections. Just be strict with yourself. Don't give yourself breaks on practice when you wouldn't get them in the real test.

If this is a problem with focusing in general, not just the LSAT, you might want to consider seeing a doctor--if you have ADHD or some other medical condition, they might be able to help.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:05 pm

You need to learn to focus. Back when I was in UG, I couldn't focus on school stuff for any prolonged period of time. Now, I've learned to make myself stay focused. I wish I could tell you how, but it just developed naturally

mindarmed

Silver

Post by mindarmed » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:08 pm

dingbat wrote:You need to learn to focus. Back when I was in UG, I couldn't focus on school stuff for any prolonged period of time. Now, I've learned to make myself stay focused. I wish I could tell you how, but it just developed naturally
TCR. OP, if you're having difficulty with focusing you may want to reconsider your career choice. Lawyers must focus for long periods of time while still performing at high levels.

johmica

New

Post by johmica » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:55 pm

You're going to find that if you take each section, individually, timed, with plenty of rest afterwards, and then tally your score, you will consistently score 8 - 15 points higher than when you take a timed practice test structured to imitate the actual exam. Part of what makes the exam difficult is it's length. You will have a section that you feel frustrated with, and whether you can push past that frustration in a matter of a couple of minutes and perform well on the next is part of what the test measures. Push through. When you recognize frustration/fatigue, take a deep breath, reset, and keep going. Despite what "armedwithamind" says, it's a learned skill, like most other things. S/he's just trying to snipe potential competitors.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:07 pm

johmica wrote:You're going to find that if you take each section, individually, timed, with plenty of rest afterwards, and then tally your score, you will consistently score 8 - 15 points higher than when you take a timed practice test structured to imitate the actual exam. Part of what makes the exam difficult is it's length. You will have a section that you feel frustrated with, and whether you can push past that frustration in a matter of a couple of minutes and perform well on the next is part of what the test measures. Push through. When you recognize frustration/fatigue, take a deep breath, reset, and keep going. Despite what "armedwithamind" says, it's a learned skill, like most other things. S/he's just trying to snipe potential competitors.
I did pretty much just as well taking each section separately untimed as I did under exam like conditions right from the getgo.
Everyone's different and what works for one doesn't work for another. But if OP is not currently at a stage where s/he can concentration for several hours at a time, it's probably better for OP to sit out for a (few) years (or maybe give up on law altogether)

suralin

Diamond

Post by suralin » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:21 pm

johmica wrote:You're going to find that if you take each section, individually, timed, with plenty of rest afterwards, and then tally your score, you will consistently score 8 - 15 points higher than when you take a timed practice test structured to imitate the actual exam. Part of what makes the exam difficult is it's length. You will have a section that you feel frustrated with, and whether you can push past that frustration in a matter of a couple of minutes and perform well on the next is part of what the test measures. Push through. When you recognize frustration/fatigue, take a deep breath, reset, and keep going. Despite what "armedwithamind" says, it's a learned skill, like most other things. S/he's just trying to snipe potential competitors.
Uh, I don't think armedwithamind is trying to "snipe" the OP. The rest is good advice though.

johmica

New

Post by johmica » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:51 pm

Did you really just say "But if OP is not currently at a stage where s/he can concentration for several hours at a time"? That's boss, my friend. That's hardcore.

johmica

New

Post by johmica » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:56 pm

But, ok, I rescind the "snipe" comment, "armedwithamind." I just feel like the OP was seeking productive advise, and "quit now" seemed neither productive nor appropriate. The LSAT is a learnable test, and the fact that OP is seeking advice on how to improve his or her score shouldn't be dismissed so glibly.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”