Question regarding ADHD and the LSAT

tnot4w

Question regarding ADHD and the LSAT

Postby tnot4w » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:40 pm

Hi all,
I plan on taking the LSAT in the near future and I'm considering applying for special accommodations for my ADHD without hyperactivity. I've been reading articles and also a thread on this forum about this, and from what people wrote I would need a long documented history of ADHD as well as proof that I've been granted accommodations in the past for my ADHD to have a chance at being granted accommodation. Unfortunately, I've only been diagnosed with ADHD approximately 3 weeks ago, so I don't have any such documents except for a note from my psychiatrist.

I'm planning to apply for extended time on each section + a private testing room to myself free of distractions. I want to know what my chances are of getting approved so I would like to hear from people who've applied for accommodations in the past for their ADHD, whether they were successful, what kind of special accommodations they received if they were successful, and what kind of documents/evidence they provided to LSAC.

Please don't write stuff like ADHD isn't real or that my time would be better spent studying for the LSAT instead, it seems like every article about ADHD is cluttered with comments by dumb people trying to disprove the existence of ADHD or downplaying its symptoms.

bitsy

Re: Question regarding ADHD and the LSAT

Postby bitsy » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:59 pm

If you haven't received accommodations in the past, it's going to be a really, really tough sell presenting your case to LSAC. People with much longer medical histories have been denied (google for some lawsuits on the subject). If you've made it this far in your life without accommodations-- try to make it a bit further. When you test with accommodations, schools will know. Your score is going to be flagged (they place an asterisk next to extended time scores), and considered a poor predictor of your future performance.

Check out this blog for more info:
http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2010/07/ls ... tions.html

tnot4w

Postby tnot4w » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:28 pm

Thanks for your post. I'm just venting here, but it's confusing how and why LSAC can refuse accommodations to people even when they have the necessary documents and they've proved their need for them. I can understand those people's intention when they file lawsuits because LSAC is refusing to give them a chance to perform their best when they're clearly disadvantaged compared to people without ADHD. LSAC is clearly discriminating against those with disabilities, even by using the asterisk on those who had special accommodations. I hope the current LSAC officials get removed and replaced with people who are more sympathetic to people's plights.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:07 pm

I think the flag is not so schools will judge your score more harshly, but so they know. It is very hard to get accommodations in law school if you didn't get them on the LSAT. I think they flag it for that purpose. Because if you get a good LSAT score and the school doesn't know it was with accommodations, why would they grant you accommodations for law school exams? I think the flagging makes it easier for you for documentation once you're in school.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:12 pm

tnot4w wrote:Hi all,
I plan on taking the LSAT in the near future and I'm considering applying for special accommodations for my ADHD without hyperactivity. I've been reading articles and also a thread on this forum about this, and from what people wrote I would need a long documented history of ADHD as well as proof that I've been granted accommodations in the past for my ADHD to have a chance at being granted accommodation. Unfortunately, I've only been diagnosed with ADHD approximately 3 weeks ago, so I don't have any such documents except for a note from my psychiatrist.

I'm planning to apply for extended time on each section + a private testing room to myself free of distractions. I want to know what my chances are of getting approved so I would like to hear from people who've applied for accommodations in the past for their ADHD, whether they were successful, what kind of special accommodations they received if they were successful, and what kind of documents/evidence they provided to LSAC.

Please don't write stuff like ADHD isn't real or that my time would be better spent studying for the LSAT instead, it seems like every article about ADHD is cluttered with comments by dumb people trying to disprove the existence of ADHD or downplaying its symptoms.

suck it up, buttercup

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:14 pm

You aren't going to get any special accommodation. If you want to spend your time lobbying for special treatment for the LSAT instead of studying for a better score though, that's certainly your prerogative.

The reason ADHD gets so much flack is that probably 1% (0%?) of people who believe they have ADHD actually do have it. If you are one of the 1% (0%?) then sorry if that offends you.

tnot4w

Postby tnot4w » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:21 pm

cahwc12 wrote:You aren't going to get any special accommodation. If you want to spend your time lobbying for special treatment for the LSAT instead of studying for a better score though, that's certainly your prerogative.

The reason ADHD gets so much flack is that probably 1% (0%?) of people who believe they have ADHD actually do have it. If you are one of the 1% (0%?) then sorry if that offends you.

I posted this because I was wondering what my chances are. Way to take what I said and blow it out of proportion. If you're going to go around and make retarded statements, I think law isn't for you.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:22 pm

tnot4w wrote:
cahwc12 wrote:You aren't going to get any special accommodation. If you want to spend your time lobbying for special treatment for the LSAT instead of studying for a better score though, that's certainly your prerogative.

I posted this because I was wondering what my chances are. Way to take what I said and blow it out of proportion. If you're going to go around and make retarded statements, I think law isn't for you.

Don't you know? This country has an adversarial judicial system

tnot4w

Postby tnot4w » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:25 pm

dingbat wrote:
tnot4w wrote:Hi all,

suck it up, buttercup

I intend to, thanks for contributing.

tnot4w

Postby tnot4w » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:29 pm

emkay625 wrote:I think the flag is not so schools will judge your score more harshly, but so they know. It is very hard to get accommodations in law school if you didn't get them on the LSAT. I think they flag it for that purpose. Because if you get a good LSAT score and the school doesn't know it was with accommodations, why would they grant you accommodations for law school exams? I think the flagging makes it easier for you for documentation once you're in school.

I'm sure the flag would help people applying for accommodations in law school, but still, I can't see the flag being a positive thing when applying for law schools. Good point though, I'm sure LSAC people didn't design it with malicious intentions.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:53 pm

tnot4w wrote:

Just being blunt and telling you what I'm sure you don't want to hear. I've been on this board on and off for almost seven years and don't recall a single case of anyone believably getting any temporal testing accommodation, and for things much more severe than ADHD. One of the things that makes this test challenging is because it's a time crunch. If you ease the time restrictions, the test becomes much much easier.

search.php?keywords=accommodation&terms=all&author=&fid%5B%5D=6&sc=1&sf=firstpost&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Also you don't have sudden onset ADHD from 3 weeks ago a few months before you're going to take the LSAT. That's about as believable as shitting four-leaf clovers from your ears. You don't even appear to know what the acronym stands for when you refer to it as "ADHD without hyperactivity."

P.S. - This thread seems particularly apt for you: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=130855

_crystal_m

Postby _crystal_m » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:04 pm

Couple of responses:
1. There is NO such diagnosis of ADHD without hyperactivity. The H MEANS hyperactive. Maybe you mean ADD?
2. Calling people's responses retarded is not the way to get Help anywhere.
3. Why the sudden diagnosis? Obviously you have made to this far without accommodations? I assume you went through grade school and university? Why not get diagnosed then?
4. Assuming your case of ADD is legit, there are plenty of medications prescribed to help. Try those.
5. Most people diagnosed with ADD don't actually have it.
6. Sorry OP, sounds like you wanted an "aw poor baby" response. If you've made it thus far in life, with the grades to go to law school, you don't need accommodations now.

tnot4w

Postby tnot4w » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:07 pm

cahwc12 wrote:
tnot4w wrote:

Just being blunt and telling you what I'm sure you don't want to hear. I've been on this board on and off for almost seven years and don't recall a single case of anyone believably getting any testing accommodation, and for things much more severe than ADHD.

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/searc ... mit=Search

Also you don't have sudden onset ADHD from 3 weeks ago a few months before you're going to take the LSAT. That's about as believable as shitting four-leaf clovers from your ears. You don't even appear to know what the acronym stands for when you refer to it as "ADHD without hyperactivity."

P.S. - This thread seems particularly apt for you: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=130855

First of all, I never said my ADHD was sudden, it is a long-standing impairment which I only recently discovered I had.
Secondly, saying "ADHD without hyperactivity" implies I don't know what the acronym stands for? Then why do you think I included the "without hyperactivity"? I didn't write ADD because ADHD is the official, DSM-recognized term, idiot. Plus, ADHD-I is what I was diagnosed with, which means I'm predominantly inattentive, not hyperactive. I just decided to write it as ADHD without hyperactivity because idiots like you wouldn't know what I'm talking about.
Third, I didn't say it is only a few months before I'm going to take the LSAT, I said in the near future. I didn't even register yet.

P.S. - Some textbooks seem particularly apt for you, maybe elementary school level ones.

tnot4w

Postby tnot4w » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:18 pm

_crystal_m wrote:Couple of responses:
1. There is NO such diagnosis of ADHD without hyperactivity. The H MEANS hyperactive. Maybe you mean ADD?
2. Calling people's responses retarded is not the way to get Help anywhere.
3. Why the sudden diagnosis? Obviously you have made to this far without accommodations? I assume you went through grade school and university? Why not get diagnosed then?
4. Assuming your case of ADD is legit, there are plenty of medications prescribed to help. Try those.
5. Most people diagnosed with ADD don't actually have it.
6. Sorry OP, sounds like you wanted an "aw poor baby" response. If you've made it thus far in life, with the grades to go to law school, you don't need accommodations now.

1. Refer to my previous post, maybe that will make it easier for you to understand why I wrote it that way.
2. So saying only 1% of people who claim they suffer from ADHD actually suffer from ADHD isn't retarded? He even hints 0%, meaning ADHD doesn't exist in anyone. That is a retarded statement.
3. The sudden diagnosis came because I was getting all A's in high school but when I entered university I found it challenging, which is why I sought an explanation, thus leading to the diagnosis. Also, don't compare LSAT to grade school and university exams, because they are not on the same level.
4. It is legitimate, and I am taking medication (Vyvanse).
5. Got any facts/studies to back you up? If not, you're making an unwarranted assumption.
6. By "far in life" I think you assume I finished my undergraduate studies. No, I haven't, after a couple semesters I took a break because I wanted to find out why I was struggling, leading to my diagnosis. I also originally started this account and this thread because I thought if I asked on this forum people would give some helpful advice, not a bunch of skeptics.

_crystal_m

Postby _crystal_m » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:23 pm

Okay op. here you go: aw poor baby.

But the answer is still, no, you will most likely not get accommodations.

Also- I have my masters in psych- I'm WELL aware add is not in the DSM, BUT it is still "recognized" as you did not meet the criteria for hyperactivity.

I will look up studies for you as soon a I am home to back up my statements, but I'm at work now, so it'll have to wait until later.

_crystal_m

Postby _crystal_m » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:25 pm

Also, If your medication is not allowing you to focus properly go back to your doctor to adjust as necessary.

oaken

Postby oaken » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:29 pm

Not gonna happen.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:31 pm

_crystal_m wrote:Also, If your medication is not allowing you to focus properly go back to your doctor to adjust as necessary.
As a complete non-sequitur, I hated ADHD mess and preferred to just deal with it.
It can best be described as seeing the world Witt blinders on (like a horse&kart). While I could focus better, I missed having my mind jumping all over the place

tnot4w

Postby tnot4w » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:33 pm

_crystal_m wrote:Couple of responses:
Maybe you mean ADD?

_crystal_m wrote:I'm WELL aware add is not in the DSM

I laughed out loud when I saw this.

_crystal_m wrote:Also, If your medication is not allowing you to focus properly go back to your doctor to adjust as necessary.

I never said it's not effective; I asked if it's possible to get accommodations because the medication doesn't work in a way where I stop having ADHD temporarily, I still have it and suffer from its symptoms (albeit to a lesser degree) whether I take it or not.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:35 pm

tnot4w wrote:I never said it's not effective; I asked if it's possible to get accommodations because the medication doesn't work in a way where I stop having ADHD temporarily, I still have it and suffer from its symptoms (albeit to a lesser degree) whether I take it or not.

Didn't stop me from getting the score I wanted

tnot4w

Postby tnot4w » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:43 pm

dingbat wrote:
tnot4w wrote:I never said it's not effective; I asked if it's possible to get accommodations because the medication doesn't work in a way where I stop having ADHD temporarily, I still have it and suffer from its symptoms (albeit to a lesser degree) whether I take it or not.

Didn't stop me from getting the score I wanted

If you got the score you wanted, why are you still trolling on an LSAT preparation forum? Clearly it's not to give helpful statements because all your posts on my thread are either irrelevant and/or inconsequential. Find something better to do, kid.

oaken wrote:Not gonna happen.

Thanks for telling me what you think my chances are, without adding stupid comments on the side.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:49 pm

Have you started your LSAT prep yet, or taken any practice sections/tests? If so, how is your condition manifesting itself while you're taking the test?

AFAIK, the only LSAT accommodation that would possibly be available to you would be extra time (the other accommodations like a large-print version of the test, wheelchair accessibility, etc wouldn't apply to you).

Depending on how severe your symptoms are, it's entirely possible that even though extra time might help (as it would anyone else), it might not be enough. But at the very least, you need to know what kind of shape you're in now as far as the timing of the test goes.

tnot4w

Postby tnot4w » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:03 pm

_crystal_m wrote:Okay op. here you go: aw poor baby.

This should be included in a separate thread: "How not to make an intelligent counter to arguments." _crystal_m and cahwc12 would particularly benefit from that thread.

ScottRiqui wrote:Have you started your LSAT prep yet, or taken any practice sections/tests? If so, how is your condition manifesting itself while you're taking the test?

AFAIK, the only LSAT accommodation that would possibly be available to you would be extra time (the other accommodations like a large-print version of the test, wheelchair accessibility, etc wouldn't apply to you).

Depending on how severe your symptoms are, it's entirely possible that even though extra time might help (as it would anyone else), it might not be enough. But at the very least, you need to know what kind of shape you're in now as far as the timing of the test goes.

I did start my LSAT prep and have been studying Powerscore Bibles and doing PT's on and off the past year, because I wanted to go to law school for a long time and bought LSAT books when I was in high school. I want to get 175+ on the LSAT, but I can't score that high unless I take extra time (I took extra time in reading comprehension and one of the logical reasoning section in a test and got 178) and minimize all distractions.
When I take the LSAT under time constraints in simulated environments, even with medication, I can't achieve the score I want unless I take longer time (I require longer time because I'm often forced to read a paragraph or body of words more than once to fully grasp it). I have to minimize distractions as well because even someone flipping paper can distract me.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:05 pm

I lost all sympathy for you when you decided to use the word retarded. Do you realize how shitty and ironic it is for you to call someone retarded in a forum on which you're complaining about not being able to get disability accommodations?

bitsy

Postby bitsy » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:06 pm

I don't think it particularly matters if you get a 175+. If you take the LSAT with accommodations, it won't be reported in the school's LSAT distribution. They lose the incentive to accept you for your score.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”