Best apporach for review wrong answers?

lsatkid007

Best apporach for review wrong answers?

Postby lsatkid007 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:51 pm

How do you guys review the answers you got wrong? For example, when I look at an answer I got wrong, the right answer become obvious. It's like I'm connecting the right answer to the questions (making some bs connection in my head). I know that's not the best approach. Is there another way to review your wrong answer choices?

What is your thought process?

Thank you for fellow

Cerebro

Re: Best apporach for review wrong answers?

Postby Cerebro » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:05 pm

How do you know that you answered the question incorrectly in the first place? Answer key?

How do you know what the correct answer is in the first place? Answer key?

If "answer key" was the response to either of the above questions, then you're doing it wrong. As I mentioned to you in a previous thread, I find 7sage's blind review method to be the best method of reviewing.

http://youtu.be/PPhj7pUiVS8

Is it not working for you?

EDIT: I should add that although the video/method is specifically talking about LR, I think it is applicable to the other sections as well, including both LG and RC.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:31 pm

Other than the blind review method (which has its place), you want to answer these four questions:
1) Why is the right answer right?
2) Why is my wrong answer wrong?
3) What about the right answer made me think it was wrong?
4) What about the wrong answer made me think it was right?

The first two are the normal review questions, but the second two are arguably more important, especially once you're reliably above 165. Those ones are going to tell you which errors in reasoning you're committing, and they're going to tell you which tricks the test-writers are using that you fall for.

gaud

Postby gaud » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:33 pm

bp shinners wrote:Other than the blind review method (which has its place), you want to answer these four questions:

The first two are the normal review questions, but the second two are arguably more important, especially once you're reliably above 165. Those ones are going to tell you which errors in reasoning you're committing, and they're going to tell you which tricks the test-writers are using that you fall for.

This is good advice

jrsbaseball5

Postby jrsbaseball5 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:47 pm

bp shinners wrote:Other than the blind review method (which has its place), you want to answer these four questions:

Do you recommend writing this out on a piece of paper or would a mental review be sufficient. Sometimes I feel like I can trick myself into thinking that I know what I'm doing by just doing it in my head, but having to form the words might show me where I am messing up. Any thoughts on this?

gaud

Postby gaud » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:50 pm

I used to write out my explanations. I believe it helped me a lot.

jrsbaseball5

Postby jrsbaseball5 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:54 pm

Cool, thanks for the reply. Did you do that for each of the four questions listed by BP and for every question, or just the ones which gave you trouble?

gaud

Postby gaud » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:56 pm

jrsbaseball5 wrote:Cool, thanks for the reply. Did you do that for each of the four questions listed by BP and for every question, or just the ones which gave you trouble?

I did what BP recommends for every question I missed. For the ones I was correct on I would just run through each answer choice writing out explanations of why the correct answer is correct and why the incorrect answers are incorrect.

lsatkid007

Postby lsatkid007 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:12 pm

Thanks Cerebro, BP, & Gaud. Do you recommend this strategy with RC also and how do you guys feeling about reusing RC passages? The thing is I can vaguely recall what the passage is about but can't remember the details.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:46 am

lsatkid007 wrote:Thanks Cerebro, BP, & Gaud. Do you recommend this strategy with RC also and how do you guys feeling about reusing RC passages? The thing is I can vaguely recall what the passage is about but can't remember the details.

I do recommend it for RC, but there are some additional steps to make re-using passages more useful.

The extra steps involve checking your notes/markup to see if you noted anything that didn't show up in the questions, and checking every question to make sure you can find the answer in your markup (at least enough to narrow the answer down to a single paragraph/sentence or two). So on top of analyzing the correct/incorrect answers and how you were tricked (hint: it's usually you making a logical force error in RC; also, equivocation crops up a lot), you're also making your markups more efficient and more predictive. That's the biggest benefit to redoing RC passages (and RC passages in general) - developing a sense of what's going to crop up in the questions before you get to them.

It would be a waste of time to read through the questions and every AC before the passage (which is what you'd have to do to get a sense of what's going to be asked before reading the passage). Additionally, it's utterly predictable what features of the passage they're going to ask about. Your practice should be tailored to figuring out the tricks they use in commonly incorrect answers (hint: it's usually strong language or words that have particular meanings not backed up by the language in the passage) and discovering this pattern so you can get through the questions quickly.

jetsfan1

Postby jetsfan1 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:53 am

don't have time to read all this now but checking in

Mik Ekim

Postby Mik Ekim » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:12 pm

Howdie lsatkid -- I heard you were looking for me -- thought I'd chime in w/some thoughts --

(1) This is not a direct answer to your question, but it is related: I think it's a good idea to mark, as you initially solve problems, the ones that you felt less than certain about.

Then, afterwards, as you review, you can see
a) what q's you were uncertain about and missed (and u can think about why)
b) what q's you were uncertain about but got right (and u can think about why)
c) what q's you thought for sure you got right, but ended up missing (of course, you want to pay particular attention to these).

(2) In terms of review, I have just one general tip: I think it can be very helpful to think about problems in terms of what you need to do, rather than what you need to know.

As I've mentioned in other posts, I think of the LSAT as being a test of three things: fundamental reading skills, fundamental reasoning skills, and mental discipline. You can review your performance in terms of these skills. If you missed a problem, you (1) read it wrong (didn't see the structure--conclusion, support,etc--clearly, or misread wording) (2) thought it wrong (didn't think about the reasoning involved correctly), or (3) solved it wrong (didn't read a passage or set up a game as you had planned, or didn't match the task presented in question stem when it came time to evaluate answers).

Of course, you want to understand questions completely, but, if you can understand them in terms of action steps, I think you might find that your review turns into better results more efficiently.

Good luck -- Mike Kim

crazyrobin

Postby crazyrobin » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:16 pm

Hi BP, this approach is really helpful. I've been having trouble with RC, I just get started for half month, I did 6 RC sections, I always get about 6 or 7 wrong answers and get tricked again and again by the inference question and define a term question. Insofar I tried to analyze but haven't improved yet. I'll try to digest all the RC sections I did by writing down all the analyzing.

Thank you!!!!!

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:41 pm

This thread is gold. I felt that briefly acknowledging my mistakes was the main cause of a disappointing October score. That's where the real LSAT work is, though. The wrong answer is a window into your erroneous approach.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”