How to avoid panicking on the LSAT

LSAT Hacks (Graeme)

How to avoid panicking on the LSAT

Postby LSAT Hacks (Graeme) » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:44 pm

I get asked about this a lot, so I wrote a blog post about a technique I've been teaching my students. I actually use this for any stressful situation. It's a breathing exercise to kick your body out of the fight or flight response, which is what panic is.

Fight or flight is a very useful response to predators and environmental threats. Unfortunately, stressful events in modern life (such as hard LSAT questions) also trigger it, and completely useless in those situations. Usually counterproductive actually, unless you plan to sprint away from a tough logic game.

Hope it's useful.

http://7sage.com/how-avoid-panicking-on-lsat/

Theopliske8711

Re: How to avoid panicking on the LSAT

Postby Theopliske8711 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:45 pm

I'm preparing for a retake. It might be impossible for those taking it once if it's in your nature to panic, as I often am. As a result, I am going try my hardest on my first try, but I am preparing for a retake should the worst scenario occur.

As for individual questions, I take the "clearing the fog" mentality: your tendency on a logic game is to freeze once you open a new one, happens to a lot of people I know, but I keep aware of the fact that once I begin doing it it starts to clear up.

LSAT Hacks (Graeme)

Re: How to avoid panicking on the LSAT

Postby LSAT Hacks (Graeme) » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:08 pm

Theopliske8711 wrote:As for individual questions, I take the "clearing the fog" mentality: your tendency on a logic game is to freeze once you open a new one, happens to a lot of people I know, but I keep aware of the fact that once I begin doing it it starts to clear up.

This is extremely important, and I didn't mention it in the post.

You probably have a set method you use to approach any type of question. If you freeze, just revert to the method. Do the first step (or whatever step you're stuck on). Momentum usually takes care of the rest.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”