Legality Q: posting released PT LSAT Q's in a blog?

LilyTheLogician

Legality Q: posting released PT LSAT Q's in a blog?

Postby LilyTheLogician » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:24 pm

I teach the LSAT for a living for a small prep company. For fun, I wanted to make a "daily problem" blog in which I post an LR problem from a recent PrepTest and explain it. I've found that good explanations are tremendously helpful to students, and most explanations out there range from average to downright bad. However, I don't want to do this if I'm going to get in trouble with LSAC.

I know that the PT's cost money, but would posting a daily problem qualify as "fair use?" I doubt I'll make money off the blog or, frankly, that LSAC will ever even notice it, but I don't want my good intentions to land me in legal hot water.

Thanks for your help!

Re: Legality Q: posting released PT LSAT Q's in a blog?

Postby 20130312 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:26 pm

It's copyrighted material. Don't do it.

Standard boilerplate disclaimer here about how I'm not a lawyer and this is not legal advice and go talk to a real attorney.

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:34 pm

Kudos to you for wanting to do this. I actually looked into it a few years ago.

Unfortunately, LSAC isn't cool with it. They're very protective of their content. Reach out to them at LSACinfo@lsac.org to ask permission, and they'll tell you so directly.

LSAT Hacks (Graeme)

Postby LSAT Hacks (Graeme) » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:54 pm

I can confirm that LSAT Blog is correct.

It *might* be fair use, but that doesn't mean you won't get sued. You'd have to survive a lawsuit to prove fair use in court, and that's expensive and uncertain.

LSAC stands a good chance of noticing, actually. I've seen blog posts by obscure authors who received takedown notices from LSAC.

Don't do it.

LilyTheLogician

Postby LilyTheLogician » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:58 pm

How sad! Thank you all for your quick help.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”