Is there a biological reason why some people can't do LG?

whereskyle

Re: Is there a biological reason why some people can't do LG?

Postby whereskyle » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:35 pm

Word up, cerebro. I am a pseudo-scientist, who studied Greek, and I wholeheartedly believe that humans can "rewire" their cortex's. I mean, why study if it makes no difference? Well, if you really study, it does make a difference. Also, just working on logic games for hours and hours, I learned to do them. I don't think I had a special propensity that helped me to learn them. I just studied, saw little to no improvement, pouted like a baby until I fell asleep, and then kept studying the next day. And darn it, I learned how to do them. I sure hope I get in this cycle, because soon people will know that all you have to do is study to get a 170. (Albeit, you have to be a bit insane and willing to forge ahead shrouded in doubt for more than three months, as was so in my case.)

ws81086n

Postby ws81086n » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:56 pm

Don't put the LG on a pedestal. They're not rocket-science. I did that for a few weeks before diving into some serious prep for them, and though I'm never going to be a LG ace, I have seen some nice improvements and I am confident that I will be able to perform solidly come Feb. Takes time and effort.

banjo

Postby banjo » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:00 am

I studied LG for an entire summer and still ended up -5 on that section. I just don't have enough mental RAM to do those games in the allotted time. Sucking at LG shouldn't stop you from getting a good score though -- I made sure I had LR and RC down to a science and got a 176 overall last December.

tnot4w

Postby tnot4w » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:23 am

A lot of test companies like Powerscore and ManhattanLSAT claim although logic games can be difficult for most people, it is the easiest to improve. In my experience this is definitely true, so don't give up!
I recommend buying a small pocket-sized logic puzzles book for you to solve in your spare time. I would say the ones in my puzzle book were more difficult than the LSAT logic games, and they really helped me on the LG section.
Best of luck-

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:59 am

Sure! Visual and spatial reasoning takes place in a different part of the brain than does verbal reasoning. Logic games requires the former. Reading comprehension and logical reasoning relies mainly on the latter.

Certainly there is a thing called a learning disability that selectivity affects visual and spatial reasoning.

I practiced with every logic game ever written for the LSAT since 1991, and still couldn't crack about the 60th %tile. But I didn't get a single question wrong outside of LG. So, clearly, there's something up there.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:11 am

I dunno, but don't feel bad. Apparently 98% of people can't do a long LG, even if untimed.

https://www.stanford.edu/~laurik/fsmboo ... uzzle.html

Wasn't particularly difficult, but took a while.

Scroll down to the bottom for the answer, but try to figure it out first!

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:44 am

sinfiery wrote:I dunno, but don't feel bad. Apparently 98% of people can't do a long LG, even if untimed.

I thought the origin of that puzzle was in dispute. And that one is pretty damn easy.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:50 am

NoodleyOne wrote:
sinfiery wrote:I dunno, but don't feel bad. Apparently 98% of people can't do a long LG, even if untimed.

I thought the origin of that puzzle was in dispute. And that one is pretty damn easy.

Sounds like that puzzle was the basis for the "Sherlock" video game from the 90s. You had to match faces with house colors, numbers, fruit, road signs and letters, given a set of rules/constraints:

ETA: Evidently, "Sherlock" is still around, and has been ported to iOS as well.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:17 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:

right on both counts; attaching einstein's name to things makes people assume it's difficult or related to intelligence. This puzzle is not hard, but it is tedious.

TL/DR I'm sticking with lack of aptitude as the predominant reason for sucking at LG (after training)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”