Drilling method?

lsatkid007

Drilling method?

Postby lsatkid007 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:47 pm

How do you guys drill? Do you guys do 5 NA questions then check the answers or do one question check the answer and then move on to the next question (same type)?

Cerebro

Re: Drilling method?

Postby Cerebro » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:59 pm

lsatkid007 wrote:How do you guys drill? Do you guys do 5 NA questions then check the answers or do one question check the answer and then move on to the next question (same type)?

I have found 7sage's blind review method to be the most effective for me. Also, it saves time by helping me focus on areas where I'm not certain. He has some free vids on youtube. Here's the first one where he gives an overview of the blind review method:

http://youtu.be/PPhj7pUiVS8

So usually, I do 5-10 questions at a time using this method, doing fewer questions when the level of uncertainty is higher, and doing more questions when I'm very confident in my analysis of the choices.

EDIT: Corrected link to youtube video.

xxmomo

Postby xxmomo » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:27 am

Cerebro wrote:
lsatkid007 wrote:How do you guys drill? Do you guys do 5 NA questions then check the answers or do one question check the answer and then move on to the next question (same type)?

I have found 7sage's blind review method to be the most effective for me. Also, it saves time by helping me focus on areas where I'm not certain. He has some free vids on youtube. Here's the first one where he gives an overview of the blind review method:

So usually, I do 5-10 questions at a time using this method, doing fewer questions when the level of uncertainty is higher, and doing more questions when I'm very confident in my analysis of the choices.

Do you time those 5-10 questions? I know 7sage advocate doing that...how long do you time them for?

Davidbentley

Postby Davidbentley » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:18 am

lsatkid007 wrote:How do you guys drill?

Just the Tip.

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:41 am

Cerebro

Postby Cerebro » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:01 am

xxmomo wrote:
Cerebro wrote:

Do you time those 5-10 questions? I know 7sage advocate doing that...how long do you time them for?

I usually use both a countdown timer and a watch (try to finish within the time set on the countdown timer, and use my watch to track my actual time); I don't see much value in doing untimed work. I would try to do 5 questions in 5-6 minutes, or 10 questions in 10-12 minutes, depending on the type of question, etc. If you're working on longer question types like parallel reasoning, you could try to use the "rule of thumb" I suggested in this post. If nothing else, it gives you a place to start for timing individual questions of a certain type. It's good to always try to push yourself to complete these a little faster. Once you can do the questions in 1 minute, try 50 seconds; when you are consistent at 50 seconds, try 45 seconds for the next set.

This seems to be working for me; but I'd like to hear any differing opinions or approaches. What have other people tried and what works for them?

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:43 am

Cerebro wrote:
I usually use both a countdown timer and a watch (try to finish within the time set on the countdown timer, and use my watch to track my actual time); I don't see much value in doing untimed work. I would try to do 5 questions in 5-6 minutes, or 10 questions in 10-12 minutes, depending on the type of question, etc. If you're working on longer question types like parallel reasoning, you could try to use the "rule of thumb" I suggested in this post. If nothing else, it gives you a place to start for timing individual questions of a certain type. It's good to always try to push yourself to complete these a little faster. Once you can do the questions in 1 minute, try 50 seconds; when you are consistent at 50 seconds, try 45 seconds for the next set.

This seems to be working for me; but I'd like to hear any differing opinions or approaches. What have other people tried and what works for them?

For the bolded part above, are you just talking about LR questions? Because with games, I've found that untimed work has been very valuable for me. I figure that until I can consistently formulate the right diagram for the scenario, or pick out those "a-ha" inferences that turn a game from a slogfest into "I'm picking the right answers almost as fast as I can read the question", then what's the point in going for speed?

Cerebro

Postby Cerebro » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:29 am

ScottRiqui wrote:
Cerebro wrote:

For the bolded part above, are you just talking about LR questions? Because with games, I've found that untimed work has been very valuable for me. I figure that until I can consistently formulate the right diagram for the scenario, or pick out those "a-ha" inferences that turn a game from a slogfest into "I'm picking the right answers almost as fast as I can read the question", then what's the point in going for speed?

I was talking specifically about LR in that context (OP appeared to be asking specifically about drilling LR), but my approach would be similar for LG. The first time I see a game, I time myself. If it turns into a slog fest, I'll complete the game, but I know that I've screwed up and missed something. I print out another copy of the game and do it again for review purposes. I write "UNTIMED" at the top of the game, although I do track my start and end time. During this review, I specifically look for missed inferences or where I otherwise screwed up on my setup. I don't check the answers in the answer key until I'm confident with my setup and my answer choices.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”