Is this a good technique?

itachiuchiha

Is this a good technique?

Postby itachiuchiha » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:13 pm

I have the LR LG and RC bibles which I plan to finish by December 31 or sooner.

I plan to take Practice Tests (about 2 or 3 a week) In all of January.
Plan to use the bibles as a reference for missed questions.

If I am not improving, I will use all of February to complete the Manhattan RC, LR, and LG and take PT's in all of march to see improvement. If I AM improving with just the bibles, i will skip this step.

I will incorporate methods across the books to see what works best for me and I will use March, April, and May to PT my way to the June 2013 test where I will score a 170+.

How about it, TLSers?

Cobretti

Re: Is this a good technique?

Postby Cobretti » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:19 pm

Yup. As you get further in you won't be referencing the books for missed Qs though. It'll become more important to track your missed Qs (for instance with http://www.lsatqa.com/) and see the patterns for what kind of questions you're missing.

The most important advice is to never cut out review time. Taking the PTs is important, but reviewing them is that much more important. Towards the very end you will want to take a bunch so that taking the test becomes automatic for you, which greatly helps reduce any test day jitters, but up until that last month or two you should definitely be spending more time reviewing your PTs than it takes you to do the test.

And don't worry about time until your accuracy starts to plateau.

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:31 pm

mrizza wrote:Yup. As you get further in you won't be referencing the books for missed Qs though. It'll become more important to track your missed Qs (for instance with http://www.lsatqa.com/) and see the patterns for what kind of questions you're missing.

The most important advice is to never cut out review time. Taking the PTs is important, but reviewing them is that much more important. Towards the very end you will want to take a bunch so that taking the test becomes automatic for you, which greatly helps reduce any test day jitters, but up until that last month or two you should definitely be spending more time reviewing your PTs than it takes you to do the test.

And don't worry about time until your accuracy starts to plateau.

god bless your soul. amazing website

Cerebro

Postby Cerebro » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:44 pm

How much practice/drilling are you doing during your reading? Based on the plan you posted, it looks like you're tackling the reading fairly aggressively. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but looking back at my own experience (I read all three PS bibles and all three MLSAT Strategy Guides (2nd ed.) on a fairly aggressive schedule), I think I would have been better off spending more time on drilling LR and LG based on the chapters I was reading at the time.

One thing to note about the differences between PowerScore and Manhattan: PowerScore's methodology for attacking LR suggest that you read the stimulus first. The first time through LRB, I thought their argument was compelling. Later, when I read the Manhattan guides, I did not fully embrace their technique of reading the question stem first to find out what the hell your task is (I paraphrase). Having tried it both ways, I personally have switched over to reading the question stem first. Also, Manhattan's guides seem to be more in-tune with the more recent trends in the LSAT.

Nevertheless, it's great to see that you're starting now and have a fairly solid plan for the June test.

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:06 pm

Cerebro wrote:How much practice/drilling are you doing during your reading? Based on the plan you posted, it looks like you're tackling the reading fairly aggressively. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but looking back at my own experience (I read all three PS bibles and all three MLSAT Strategy Guides (2nd ed.) on a fairly aggressive schedule), I think I would have been better off spending more time on drilling LR and LG based on the chapters I was reading at the time.

One thing to note about the differences between PowerScore and Manhattan: PowerScore's methodology for attacking LR suggest that you read the stimulus first. The first time through LRB, I thought their argument was compelling. Later, when I read the Manhattan guides, I did not fully embrace their technique of reading the question stem first to find out what the hell your task is (I paraphrase). Having tried it both ways, I personally have switched over to reading the question stem first. Also, Manhattan's guides seem to be more in-tune with the more recent trends in the LSAT.

Nevertheless, it's great to see that you're starting now and have a fairly solid plan for the June test.

yeah, I am reading fairly aggressively. I go through about 25-50 pages a day.

willwash

Postby willwash » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:31 pm

Cerebro wrote:How much practice/drilling are you doing during your reading? Based on the plan you posted, it looks like you're tackling the reading fairly aggressively. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but looking back at my own experience (I read all three PS bibles and all three MLSAT Strategy Guides (2nd ed.) on a fairly aggressive schedule), I think I would have been better off spending more time on drilling LR and LG based on the chapters I was reading at the time.

Side note: MLSAT books are also considerably cheaper than PS.

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:55 pm

willwash wrote:

Side note: MLSAT books are also considerably cheaper than PS.

I got all 3 bibles for a total of 25$ including shipping brand new in shrink wrap. some fool was selling them on ebay
#WINNING

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”