Reading A Rulebook for Argument-Good idea?

jrsbaseball5

Reading A Rulebook for Argument-Good idea?

Postby jrsbaseball5 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:24 am

I am beginning my LSAT prep and I am wondering if getting a basic knowledge of argument will be helpful for me. I picked up A Rulebook for Argument (2nd edition) recently and am trying to decide if its worth reading through the 100 pages or if it won't really help me much. I am shooting for a very high score (175+) and so I thought having this as a foundation might be helpful. Also, is there a huge difference between the 2nd and 4th editions? I couldn't find the 4th at any of the libraries I checked.

Thanks!

cinephile

Re: Reading A Rulebook for Argument-Good idea?

Postby cinephile » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:02 am

No. Just study the LSAT.

noobishned

Postby noobishned » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:08 am

That book really didn't help me at all... Almost none of the concepts in the book were easily transferable to the test. With that being said, I did read the whole thing while I was traveling and couldn't do any actual problems.

It may be good if you can't work on the real thing or if you need a short break, but IMO you should just hit the PSbibles and other actual prep mats.

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:50 pm

I read it and I don't believe it helped at all. I think it would only be useful for someone who has no exposure to arguments at all (i.e., has never read a nonfiction article, majored in European Basket Weaving, is offended by differing opinions).

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:01 pm

For LSAT prep, don't read anything on arguments/logic/etc... that isn't specifically tailored to LSAT prep. It's either overkill or irrelevant.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”