If you could choose a RC topic for the LSAC...

cowmater

If you could choose a RC topic for the LSAC...

Postby cowmater » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:46 pm

What would you pick? Keeping it within reason, of course.

I would go with: http://www.livescience.com/7094-study-p ... nking.html

The icecap may not be the only thing shrinking in the Arctic. The genitals of polar bears in east Greenland are apparently dwindling in size due to industrial pollutants.

Cerebro

Re: If you could choose a RC topic for the LSAC...

Postby Cerebro » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:27 am

They'll never do it, but I think they should go meta and have an RC passage about LSAT RC passages. If Jorge Luis Borges were still alive, maybe he could have been pursuaded to write it. I guess we'll just have to imagine how cool that passage might have been.

cowmater

Postby cowmater » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:19 am

Wormfather wrote:In order to evaluate a law school applicants apptitude for understanding long texts LSAC created the Reading Comprehension section of the Law School Admission Test. Reading Comprehension section features four sections, three passages that are to be evaluated individually and a fourth sample that consists of two shorter passages that relate to eachother in some way. While some students have argued that because the subject matter is arbitrary and the questions convoluted, that the section is at best a flawed tool, in fact LSAC has created a perfect way to evaluate students' reading ability.

First, LSAC takes care to ensure that the subject matter within each test is broad enough to touch upon different disciplines, science, humanities, S&M, and other. The passages while short, do not ask the reader to have any prior knowledge of the subject at hand. Second, in law school students will often be asked to read volumes of material pertaining to subjects that they may have no knowledge of; ancient Greek law, saw mill rights, or basic social skills for instance. The reading comprehension section gives students a chance to display an ability to handle such texts, regardless of their background. Finally, students are given entertaining topics to read about, such as fractal theory, books on demand, and LSAT Reading Comp passages. Subject matter, is if anything an advantage for test takers.

Critics often accuse LSAC of bias towards diversity, science, humanities or law. But that would be akin to saying that the jack prefers the rough trade. While there are still challenges to overcome, the Reading Comprehension passage will be here to stay.

Passage B:

LSAC can suck it.

1) Based on the passages above, it can most reasonably be inferred that the authors would disagree about what?

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:27 am

cowmater wrote:
1) Based on the passages above, it can most reasonably be inferred that the authors would disagree about what?

A) Whether the LSAT should contain passages about S&M.
B) Whether the LSAT should be administered to prospective law students.
C) Why the LSAT exists.
D) Whether law students will often be asked to read volumes of material pertaining to subjects that they may have little prior knowledge.
E) Whether LSAC was formed in the depths of hell.

jrsbaseball5

Postby jrsbaseball5 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:35 am

cowmater wrote:What would you pick? Keeping it within reason, of course.

The icecap may not be the only thing shrinking in the Arctic. The genitals of polar bears in east Greenland are apparently dwindling in size due to industrial pollutants.

Wow, now that is funny! For everyone, but the polar bears.

bananashotgun

Postby bananashotgun » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:18 pm

there was a miles davis passage in some PT that I didn't even need to read as i went to a jazz school

but i would love a 90s basketball passage.

CyanIdes Of March

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:56 pm

I'd go with some kind of Da Vinci puzzle that once you crack, it gives you all the answers to the section.

willwash

Postby willwash » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:19 pm

I choose horsies.

Actually this thread kind of reminds me of that scene from Ghostbusters:

"Choose? Whaddya mean choose? We don't understand!"
"Choose! Choose the means of your destruction!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EbY0vuNt-Q

Typhoon24

Postby Typhoon24 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:10 am

An article on evolution (preferably human evolution), invasive species, or super smash bros melee.

blackandstrong

Postby blackandstrong » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:44 am

cowmater wrote:What would you pick? Keeping it within reason, of course.

I love topics about AA literature. I remember coming on a Langston Hughes passage, and I just glanced at it and begin answering questions. Saved me a boatload of time.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”