Cancel?

User avatar
VeeD101
Posts: 333
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:49 pm

Cancel?

Postby VeeD101 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:19 am

This was my third time taking it - I have a 162 and a 169

I was PTing in the 173+ range but I was sick the last week before the exam and I feel like my brain froze during the actual test. RC which is my weakest section went ok and I think I'll hit a -4 which is what I was expecting. I should be -0 on games since I always do pretty well on them. Its the LR sections that I felt absolutely destroyed on. I feel like I second guessed every answer and that slowed me down so much that I missed 3 questions completely and was not a 100% on more than a few.

The probability of getting something over a 169 seems pretty slim right now and I am thinking of cancelling and then adding an addendum about my jump from 162 to 169 and explaining why I cancelled. This way my apps get looked at a month earlier than if I submit after score release in late dec/ early jan.

I may be overestimating how bad I did and want to know my score especially if it does end up being a lenient curve but is it worth the gamble if my score drops below 169 to another low 160s score? I am thinking that would hurt my apps as schools may see a low 160s score as a more indicative score. What do you guys think?

User avatar
francesfarmer
Posts: 1409
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:52 am

Re: Cancel?

Postby francesfarmer » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:00 am

If you really think you bombed LR then you should cancel, but being unsure about a bunch of questions doesn't mean you bombed. If you get -4 on RC and -7 on LR you still probably come out with over a 169--doesn't December have the biggest curve, generally? Like, in 2009, -13 was a 170. I don't know how to say that in curve-speak but its pretty big.

Also, getting below a 169 this time won't help you, but I don't think it will really hurt you. Law schools only have to report your highest score and they principally care about their medians, which I'm sure I don't need to tell you!

User avatar
VeeD101
Posts: 333
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:49 pm

Re: Cancel?

Postby VeeD101 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:30 pm

well its not another 169 I'm worried about. Its more about dipping closer to the 162 that I'm scared about because schools might see it as an indicator of low performance and it will delay my apps by a month.

I never thought I would cancel a score. Oh LSAT, you have been such an humbling experience.

User avatar
francesfarmer
Posts: 1409
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:52 am

Re: Cancel?

Postby francesfarmer » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:37 pm

VeeD101 wrote:well its not another 169 I'm worried about. Its more about dipping closer to the 162 that I'm scared about because schools might see it as an indicator of low performance and it will delay my apps by a month.

I never thought I would cancel a score. Oh LSAT, you have been such an humbling experience.

I still think getting another 162 won't particularly hurt you (though it will make your 169 look like the anomaly) so much as it won't help. They still report the 169 as your LSAT score and that's what they care about.

For what its worth, you'll probably be fine. I almost canceled my June retake because I had experimental RC right before the real RC and I was falling asleep. I missed 7 questions (I think) on that section and I still raised my score to a 172. Miracles, man, they happen!




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DumbHollywoodActor and 7 guests