December LSAT 160+ hopefuls - Guess the curve.

Correct Answers Needed for a 160

72-73
6
22%
74-75
10
37%
76-77
6
22%
78-79
5
19%
 
Total votes: 27

User avatar
Coveted
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:06 pm

December LSAT 160+ hopefuls - Guess the curve.

Postby Coveted » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:54 pm

Come predict the +160 curve.

Looking back at Octobers curve I am hoping that I could acquire my target score of 164 with 81/82 questions correct.

Those shooting to stay above the 160 mark, I think you will need at least 75/76.

I scored a 158 in October. Walking away from this test I feel a lot more confident. I only had to guess on a couple of questions, where in October I guessed on an entire RC passage, half the zones game, and 4-5 LR questions. Hopefully these December improvements equate to my target score.

Feel free to post your thoughts, hopefully they will calm my nerves. I can't stand the waiting game!
Last edited by Coveted on Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Poo-T
Posts: 266
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:32 am

Re: December LSAT 160+ hopefuls - Guess the curve.

Postby Poo-T » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:00 pm

We're pretty much in the same boat. Made a 159 in OCT. I feel way more confident this time.

I really wouldn't care about waiting if not for the fact that I have to study for a bunch a finals/essays these next two weeks

;_;

User avatar
Coveted
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:06 pm

Re: December LSAT 160+ hopefuls - Guess the curve.

Postby Coveted » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:03 pm

Poo-T wrote:We're pretty much in the same boat. Made a 159 in OCT. I feel way more confident this time.


Same here, I definitely came into this test a lot more confident.

I killed the LG section, maybe -1 or -2.

The RC was a little difficult but I chugged through it and thinking back on my PT's I probably went anywhere from -7 to -10.

The LR sections felt average and I feel I went -4 or -5 on each section.

Given this thought-process I feel confident that I can nab 80 questions correct or possibly more.

Heres to hoping I am right!

User avatar
Poo-T
Posts: 266
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:32 am

Re: December LSAT 160+ hopefuls - Guess the curve.

Postby Poo-T » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:12 pm

Coveted wrote:
Poo-T wrote:We're pretty much in the same boat. Made a 159 in OCT. I feel way more confident this time.


Same here, I definitely came into this test a lot more confident.

I killed the LG section, maybe -1 or -2.

The RC was a little difficult but I chugged through it and thinking back on my PT's I probably went anywhere from -7 to -10.

The LR sections felt average and I feel I went -4 or -5 on each section.

Given this thought-process I feel confident that I can nab 80 questions correct or possibly more.

Heres to hoping I am right!


LG: everything went smooth until the last game which I guess on 2 or 3, so probably -4 or -5.
LR: felt like a normal LR, maybe -3 or -4, (-3 and -4 respectively in October)
LR: felt VERY good about this one. I finished about 10 minutes early, and made a quick scan of every answer. There really wasn't a single answer that worried me. So maybe -1 or -2
RC: was difficult, but I kept my wits about. I probably hit -5 or -7 like I do in PT's.

Altogether: -13 through -18 is a reasonable area. I REALLY hope the curve is -14 lol

Athlone McGinnis
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: December LSAT 160+ hopefuls - Guess the curve.

Postby Athlone McGinnis » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:53 pm

I'm of the mind that most of the predictions made in here regarding the curve have been too harsh, and are merely the product of TLS's nature (unusually capable/conscientious test takers). The test seems easier for folks here than it might actually be. I could be wrong, but that has been my impression looking at past tests and past iterations of waiting threads (ex: December 2011 waiting thread).

I'm also a re-taker from October and did feel more confident about this exam thanks to the studying I'd done in the past month (I am much better at logic games now, for example, and was just generally less anxious for this sitting since I'd been there before). That being said, I honestly do not get the impression (from myself or from the other accounts of the exam on this site) that this was an objectively easier exam than the October test. People seemed to struggle quite a bit on the LG section with the last two games (as opposed to the one in the last exam) and the real RC doesn't seem to be a widely agreed cupcake either (the experimental was forgiving). If anything, this test could have been somewhat more difficult, though not much more so.

I'm predicting cutoffs of 74 (-27) for a 160 and 88 (-13) or possibly 89 (-12) for a 170.

As for how I did, I'm predicting that my raw score will fall anywhere between 76-82.
Last edited by Athlone McGinnis on Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

jym_dawg
Posts: 294
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:09 pm

Re: December LSAT 160+ hopefuls - Guess the curve.

Postby jym_dawg » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:15 pm

Why would you take into account the nature of the test takers themselves? This test is "equated", not "curved" so everyone could get -20 or more and still that would only have implications for future test takers because of the experimental

User avatar
Coveted
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:06 pm

Re: December LSAT 160+ hopefuls - Guess the curve.

Postby Coveted » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:32 pm

Athlone McGinnis wrote:I'm of the mind that most of the predictions made in here regarding the curve have been too harsh, and are merely the product of TLS's nature (unusually capable/conscientious test takers). The test seems easier for folks here than it might actually be. I could be wrong, but that has been my impression looking at past tests and past iterations of waiting threads (ex: December 2011 waiting thread).

I'm also a re-taker from October and did feel more confident about this exam thanks to the studying I'd done in the past month (I am much better at logic games now, for example, and was just generally less anxious for this sitting since I'd been there before). That being said, I honestly do not get the impression (from myself or from the other accounts of the exam on this site) that this was an objectively easier exam than the October test. People seemed to struggle quite a bit on the LG section with the last two games (as opposed to the one in the last exam) and the real RC doesn't seem to be a widely agreed cupcake either (the experimental was forgiving). If anything, this test could have been somewhat more difficult, though not much more so.

I'm predicting cutoffs of 74 (-27) for a 160 and 88 (-13) or possibly 89 (-12) for a 170. This is also taking into account the nature of the test-takers themselves (trend towards fewer high scorers during december exams, and fewer high scorers in LSATs in general lately).

As for how I did, I'm predicting that my raw score will fall anywhere between 76-82.



I hope your right my friend.

Platodium
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:35 pm

Re: December LSAT 160+ hopefuls - Guess the curve.

Postby Platodium » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:06 am

jym_dawg wrote:Why would you take into account the nature of the test takers themselves? This test is "equated", not "curved" so everyone could get -20 or more and still that would only have implications for future test takers because of the experimental


this.

also, I'd be very surprised if this test's curve was any more generous than -10, I just can't see it being any harder than Oct. I was worried about a -9 or -8 when I walked out. However, I may just have a thing for thinking -10 was too harsh for Oct 2012.

I hope I'm wrong though.

Athlone McGinnis
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: December LSAT 160+ hopefuls - Guess the curve.

Postby Athlone McGinnis » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:45 am

jym_dawg wrote:Why would you take into account the nature of the test takers themselves? This test is "equated", not "curved" so everyone could get -20 or more and still that would only have implications for future test takers because of the experimental


You're correct.

Platodium wrote:
also, I'd be very surprised if this test's curve was any more generous than -10, I just can't see it being any harder than Oct. I was worried about a -9 or -8 when I walked out. However, I may just have a thing for thinking -10 was too harsh for Oct 2012.


I disagree, but we'll see in a few weeks. Apparently the term "hard" is somewhat subjective around here with regards to the LSAT-everyone seems to have a different idea of what exactly it means and where it applies.

User avatar
Coveted
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:06 pm

Re: December LSAT 160+ hopefuls - Guess the curve.

Postby Coveted » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:50 am

Platodium wrote:
jym_dawg wrote:Why would you take into account the nature of the test takers themselves? This test is "equated", not "curved" so everyone could get -20 or more and still that would only have implications for future test takers because of the experimental


this.

also, I'd be very surprised if this test's curve was any more generous than -10, I just can't see it being any harder than Oct. I was worried about a -9 or -8 when I walked out. However, I may just have a thing for thinking -10 was too harsh for Oct 2012.

I hope I'm wrong though.



Shut you're whore mouth it's going to be -11 at least!!

corcorty
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:11 pm

Re: December LSAT 160+ hopefuls - Guess the curve.

Postby corcorty » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:41 am

I scored just a bit under a 160 in October too (157), but I was PTing in the 160s. When you guys left the October LSAT, what was you average PT the last month? Mine was 7 points lower. Hopefully that doesn't happen again, I feel much better.

User avatar
Coveted
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:06 pm

Re: December LSAT 160+ hopefuls - Guess the curve.

Postby Coveted » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:32 pm

corcorty wrote:I scored just a bit under a 160 in October too (157), but I was PTing in the 160s. When you guys left the October LSAT, what was you average PT the last month? Mine was 7 points lower. Hopefully that doesn't happen again, I feel much better.



My PT's ranged anywhere from 159-166

Typically I would fall around 163'ish

When I left October I thought I absolutely bombed it but I still walked away with a 158. On the December LSAT I felt much better and am hopeful that I will be in my average PT range.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 34iplaw, cianchetta0, dj9i27, DumbHollywoodActor, Lahtso Nuggin, SunDevil14, Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests