Your LSAT scores; who cares?

lsat_taker101
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:51 am

Your LSAT scores; who cares?

Postby lsat_taker101 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:37 am

Hi, everyone. I just took the December 2012 LSAT in Asia and just wanted to check out what the dummy section was, which led me to this website.
I did not know that such "forum" existed because I mostly did self-study(and probably due to my age) .
I was reading through a few of the posts and read how some people were positively making a guess at their scores, high or low, and saying that, whatever they got, was either more than what they wanted, satisfied, or horrified.

But what's striking is that some of you seem to be blatantly ignorant of others who might be viewing the same forum.
This is a public, not a private forum, and whatever it is that you post here is not something only that you and your friends might see, but something that is open to virtually anywhere in the world.
Saying things like "I think I missed 5 so I guess that's a 177 :'(" definitely does not make anyone's day who's aiming for 167.
I know you definitely shouldn't trust all the stuff on here, but those of you proudly posting your would-be scores and how you feel about it should at least be aware and respectful of others who are also taking this test with lower standards.
Not everyone lives by the standards that you set for yourself, and some people have lower targets than Harvard or Yale.
I expected people who applied for law schools to be more mature and thoughtful of others, but I guess that's not the case at least for some of you on here.

At this point some of you might be thinking, 'this person probably bombed the test and looking for a place to let out some steam.'
Go ahead and think that way. Maybe I am, maybe I'm not.
But I think there definitely is something wrong when I see people posting about their "probable" or "likely" scores to everyone and fretting about not getting one more LR question correct to get that 178.
I can tell you for certain that the vast majority of test-takers did not even make the 170 cut, and some of them can and will look at your posts and feel bad.
Be ashamed of yourselves, if you think this applies to you.
No one cares about your LSAT scores, and if you think you did well, tell your family and your friends, write it in your diary and give yourself a gold star before you go to bed.
There really is no reason to post what you think you've got on here and tell the world how you feel about it.

User avatar
Poo-T
Posts: 266
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:32 am

Re: Your LSAT scores; who cares?

Postby Poo-T » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:56 am

tl;dr

I scored a 159.

like a care about all these weenies who scored a 180

User avatar
justonemoregame
Posts: 1160
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:51 pm

Re: Your LSAT scores; who cares?

Postby justonemoregame » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:42 am

lsat_taker101 wrote:Hi, everyone. I just took the December 2012 LSAT in Asia and just wanted to check out what the dummy section was, which led me to this website.
I did not know that such "forum" existed because I mostly did self-study(and probably due to my age) .
I was reading through a few of the posts and read how some people were positively making a guess at their scores, high or low, and saying that, whatever they got, was either more than what they wanted, satisfied, or horrified.

But what's striking is that some of you seem to be blatantly ignorant of others who might be viewing the same forum.
This is a public, not a private forum, and whatever it is that you post here is not something only that you and your friends might see, but something that is open to virtually anywhere in the world.
Saying things like "I think I missed 5 so I guess that's a 177 :'(" definitely does not make anyone's day who's aiming for 167.
I know you definitely shouldn't trust all the stuff on here, but those of you proudly posting your would-be scores and how you feel about it should at least be aware and respectful of others who are also taking this test with lower standards.
Not everyone lives by the standards that you set for yourself, and some people have lower targets than Harvard or Yale.
I expected people who applied for law schools to be more mature and thoughtful of others, but I guess that's not the case at least for some of you on here.

At this point some of you might be thinking, 'this person probably bombed the test and looking for a place to let out some steam.'
Go ahead and think that way. Maybe I am, maybe I'm not.
But I think there definitely is something wrong when I see people posting about their "probable" or "likely" scores to everyone and fretting about not getting one more LR question correct to get that 178.
I can tell you for certain that the vast majority of test-takers did not even make the 170 cut, and some of them can and will look at your posts and feel bad.
Be ashamed of yourselves, if you think this applies to you.
No one cares about your LSAT scores, and if you think you did well, tell your family and your friends, write it in your diary and give yourself a gold star before you go to bed.
There really is no reason to post what you think you've got on here and tell the world how you feel about it.



That's cute! Welcome to TLS

GGforLSAT
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:59 pm

Re: Your LSAT scores; who cares?

Postby GGforLSAT » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:10 am

lsat_taker101 wrote:Not everyone lives by the standards that you set for yourself, and some people have lower targets than Harvard or Yale.


You're right. But this forum's objective is getting into the top law schools such as Harvard or Yale. So, this forum is not representative of the entire pre-law population. As a result, contrary to what you said before that, someone announcing that they scored a 177 is more likely to encourage others on this forum than discourage them. This phenomenon is unique to this forum. Perhaps if you lurk around a bit longer, you will come to understand our way of life.

kcam1991
Posts: 152
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:26 am

Re: Your LSAT scores; who cares?

Postby kcam1991 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:18 am

to ts

Image

People have different goals. You should be satisfied by your own performance instead of throwing a hissy fit. If you were satisfied by your performance, then you would not have anything to bitch about.

gspiel1232
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: Your LSAT scores; who cares?

Postby gspiel1232 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:33 am

lsat_taker101 wrote:Hi, everyone. I just took the December 2012 LSAT in Asia and just wanted to check out what the dummy section was, which led me to this website.
I did not know that such "forum" existed because I mostly did self-study(and probably due to my age) .
I was reading through a few of the posts and read how some people were positively making a guess at their scores, high or low, and saying that, whatever they got, was either more than what they wanted, satisfied, or horrified.

But what's striking is that some of you seem to be blatantly ignorant of others who might be viewing the same forum.
This is a public, not a private forum, and whatever it is that you post here is not something only that you and your friends might see, but something that is open to virtually anywhere in the world.
Saying things like "I think I missed 5 so I guess that's a 177 :'(" definitely does not make anyone's day who's aiming for 167.
I know you definitely shouldn't trust all the stuff on here, but those of you proudly posting your would-be scores and how you feel about it should at least be aware and respectful of others who are also taking this test with lower standards.
Not everyone lives by the standards that you set for yourself, and some people have lower targets than Harvard or Yale.
I expected people who applied for law schools to be more mature and thoughtful of others, but I guess that's not the case at least for some of you on here.

At this point some of you might be thinking, 'this person probably bombed the test and looking for a place to let out some steam.'
Go ahead and think that way. Maybe I am, maybe I'm not.
But I think there definitely is something wrong when I see people posting about their "probable" or "likely" scores to everyone and fretting about not getting one more LR question correct to get that 178.
I can tell you for certain that the vast majority of test-takers did not even make the 170 cut, and some of them can and will look at your posts and feel bad.
Be ashamed of yourselves, if you think this applies to you.
No one cares about your LSAT scores, and if you think you did well, tell your family and your friends, write it in your diary and give yourself a gold star before you go to bed.
There really is no reason to post what you think you've got on here and tell the world how you feel about it.


169.......eh, I'll give you the 170.

TA923
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:25 pm

Re: Your LSAT scores; who cares?

Postby TA923 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:38 am

Hint: The T in TLS stands for TOP.

Sweetlady75
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:25 pm

Re: Your LSAT scores; who cares?

Postby Sweetlady75 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:44 am

I can understand your point OP. Some people on this site, not all, have this elitist attitude on here. I saw one post of a guy who was making fun of a fellow test taker that was striving for a score in the 150s. That was totally uncalled for. But this site is called top law school which is for people striving for schools like Harvard, Yale, etc.. Therfore, it's understandable that they would be disappointed if they don't get a score in the high 170s because those are the types of scores required.

I'm one of those people that is not trying to get into a Harvard type of school. I would be perfectly happy going to a Fordham or even Rutgers. I use this site to get some incite on study tips and to see if others felt as I did about the exam. I dont let their talk of scores get to me. As long as I get the scores to get me into the school I want to go to, I'm good.

User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Your LSAT scores; who cares?

Postby NoodleyOne » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:47 am

...

Lol.

bananashotgun
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:55 pm

Re: Your LSAT scores; who cares?

Postby bananashotgun » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:49 am

this forum has been instrumental in raising my standards. i took feb 2012 for a 157 in february and would've been happy getting into rutgers and ecstatic if i got a 160. i then found this forum and it definitely motivated me into not accepting rutgers/157 and i took some time off.

decided to pick it up again a few months ago and seeing all these 175+ practice tests bruised my ego. it worked for me in that i have a very competitive personality and having the bar set so high made me work a lot harder than i would've if i just compared myself to my friends who were in the low 160s and paying full price for cardozo/brooklyn. i was PTing around 170 right before Decembers test and feel really good about it. so instead of rutgers at sticker i'm now hoping for northwestern with a little money. and if i don't get that i will at least go to a school that significantly better ranked and maybe even free.

so if you don't like it and the only thing this forum does is make you upset you should probably avoid it. it's definitely not for everyone, but for me it was a godsend.

User avatar
ScottRiqui
Posts: 3640
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: Your LSAT scores; who cares?

Postby ScottRiqui » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:55 am

OP, if you browse around here a bit more, I think you'll find that the vast majority of posters are encouraging and supportive of other peoples' LSAT goals, regardless of what those goals are. At least, I haven't seen many posts of the "Congratulations on your 160 - I hope you enjoy a life of crushing debt and unemployment, because you're going to be paying full price at a lousy school" variety.

And yes, you have to remember that TLS stands for TOP Law Schools, so there's a certain "type" here among the LSAT preppers. They're either shooting for the top schools, or (like me), they're trying to pick up tips/techniques for the LSAT because other factors like a low GPA mean that it's going to take an excellent LSAT score to break into the low end of the T20, or even a strong regional school.

In short, hang out here if you want - there are a lot of good resources for anyone, no matter what your goals are. Just don't be discouraged by the mere fact that other posters have different goals, or look for malice/elitism where there isn't any (or at least, not too much).

SEngland
Posts: 140
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:42 pm

Re: Your LSAT scores; who cares?

Postby SEngland » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:59 am

lsat_taker101 wrote:Hi, everyone. I just took the December 2012 LSAT in Asia and just wanted to check out what the dummy section was, which led me to this website.
I did not know that such "forum" existed because I mostly did self-study(and probably due to my age) .
I was reading through a few of the posts and read how some people were positively making a guess at their scores, high or low, and saying that, whatever they got, was either more than what they wanted, satisfied, or horrified.

But what's striking is that some of you seem to be blatantly ignorant of others who might be viewing the same forum.
This is a public, not a private forum, and whatever it is that you post here is not something only that you and your friends might see, but something that is open to virtually anywhere in the world.
Saying things like "I think I missed 5 so I guess that's a 177 :'(" definitely does not make anyone's day who's aiming for 167.
I know you definitely shouldn't trust all the stuff on here, but those of you proudly posting your would-be scores and how you feel about it should at least be aware and respectful of others who are also taking this test with lower standards.
Not everyone lives by the standards that you set for yourself, and some people have lower targets than Harvard or Yale.
I expected people who applied for law schools to be more mature and thoughtful of others, but I guess that's not the case at least for some of you on here.

At this point some of you might be thinking, 'this person probably bombed the test and looking for a place to let out some steam.'
Go ahead and think that way. Maybe I am, maybe I'm not.
But I think there definitely is something wrong when I see people posting about their "probable" or "likely" scores to everyone and fretting about not getting one more LR question correct to get that 178.
I can tell you for certain that the vast majority of test-takers did not even make the 170 cut, and some of them can and will look at your posts and feel bad.
Be ashamed of yourselves, if you think this applies to you.
No one cares about your LSAT scores, and if you think you did well, tell your family and your friends, write it in your diary and give yourself a gold star before you go to bed.
There really is no reason to post what you think you've got on here and tell the world how you feel about it.



GTFO, tool. Enjoy Cooley.

User avatar
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Re: Your LSAT scores; who cares?

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:01 am

Can I?
--ImageRemoved--

04102014
Posts: 1696
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:42 am

Re: Your LSAT scores; who cares?

Postby 04102014 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:02 am

ScottRiqui wrote:OP, if you browse around here a bit more, I think you'll find that the vast majority of posters are encouraging and supportive of other peoples' LSAT goals, regardless of what those goals are. At least, I haven't seen many posts of the "Congratulations on your 160 - I hope you enjoy a life of crushing debt and unemployment, because you're going to be paying full price at a lousy school" variety.

And yes, you have to remember that TLS stands for TOP Law Schools, so there's a certain "type" here among the LSAT preppers. They're either shooting for the top schools, or (like me), they're trying to pick up tips/techniques for the LSAT because other factors like a low GPA mean that it's going to take an excellent LSAT score to break into the low end of the T20, or even a strong regional school.

In short, hang out here if you want - there are a lot of good resources for anyone, no matter what your goals are. Just don't be discouraged by the mere fact that other posters have different goals, or look for malice/elitism where there isn't any (or at least, not too much).


Credited

User avatar
red52
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:28 am

Re: Your LSAT scores; who cares?

Postby red52 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:09 am

lsat_taker101 wrote:Hi, everyone. I just took the December 2012 LSAT in Asia and just wanted to check out what the dummy section was, which led me to this website.
I did not know that such "forum" existed because I mostly did self-study(and probably due to my age) .
I was reading through a few of the posts and read how some people were positively making a guess at their scores, high or low, and saying that, whatever they got, was either more than what they wanted, satisfied, or horrified.

But what's striking is that some of you seem to be blatantly ignorant of others who might be viewing the same forum.
This is a public, not a private forum, and whatever it is that you post here is not something only that you and your friends might see, but something that is open to virtually anywhere in the world.
Saying things like "I think I missed 5 so I guess that's a 177 :'(" definitely does not make anyone's day who's aiming for 167.
I know you definitely shouldn't trust all the stuff on here, but those of you proudly posting your would-be scores and how you feel about it should at least be aware and respectful of others who are also taking this test with lower standards.
Not everyone lives by the standards that you set for yourself, and some people have lower targets than Harvard or Yale.
I expected people who applied for law schools to be more mature and thoughtful of others, but I guess that's not the case at least for some of you on here.

At this point some of you might be thinking, 'this person probably bombed the test and looking for a place to let out some steam.'
Go ahead and think that way. Maybe I am, maybe I'm not.
But I think there definitely is something wrong when I see people posting about their "probable" or "likely" scores to everyone and fretting about not getting one more LR question correct to get that 178.
I can tell you for certain that the vast majority of test-takers did not even make the 170 cut, and some of them can and will look at your posts and feel bad.
Be ashamed of yourselves, if you think this applies to you.
No one cares about your LSAT scores, and if you think you did well, tell your family and your friends, write it in your diary and give yourself a gold star before you go to bed.
There really is no reason to post what you think you've got on here and tell the world how you feel about it.


Image

User avatar
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Re: Your LSAT scores; who cares?

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:22 am

This thread is hilarious. I'm so glad I haven't freaked out and done something like this yet.

User avatar
DougieFresh
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:26 pm

Re: Your LSAT scores; who cares?

Postby DougieFresh » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:27 am

This!

TLS is an amazing resource for OLs looking for information on how to make a good decision about law school, and made a huge impact on me stepping my game up. In June 2013 I will be another TLS success story by putting off my cycle for a year to retake, upping my score 10-15 points, and getting into a top school or a good regional school on a full ride :D

The forum is very supportive of posters retaking the LSAT to improve their score. Its not elitism, its just acknowledging the facts of the current economic conditions. Without a high LSAT score that can get you into a top law school or a highly ranked regional school where you want to practice with scholarship money, it might not be a good idea for you to attend law school at this time.

The only time I have perceived "elitism" is when ops who are unwilling to accept credited advice, generally that they should retake the LSAT with a dedicated study program and improve their future career outlook. This site is a resource and is meant to help you avoid making the terrible decision to spend $250,000 on an education that might not get you ANY job.

bananashotgun wrote:this forum has been instrumental in raising my standards. i took feb 2012 for a 157 in february and would've been happy getting into rutgers and ecstatic if i got a 160. i then found this forum and it definitely motivated me into not accepting rutgers/157 and i took some time off.

decided to pick it up again a few months ago and seeing all these 175+ practice tests bruised my ego. it worked for me in that i have a very competitive personality and having the bar set so high made me work a lot harder than i would've if i just compared myself to my friends who were in the low 160s and paying full price for cardozo/brooklyn. i was PTing around 170 right before Decembers test and feel really good about it. so instead of rutgers at sticker i'm now hoping for northwestern with a little money. and if i don't get that i will at least go to a school that significantly better ranked and maybe even free.

so if you don't like it and the only thing this forum does is make you upset you should probably avoid it. it's definitely not for everyone, but for me it was a godsend.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2737
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Your LSAT scores; who cares?

Postby TripTrip » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:36 am

lsat_taker101 wrote:I can tell you for certain that the vast majority of test-takers did not even make the 170 cut, and some of them can and will look at your posts and feel bad.
Be ashamed of yourselves, if you think this applies to you.

Screw you. I went over four to five thousand LSAT questions. I worked for hours endlessly to improve my LSAT score. I know where I typically test, in the 99th percentile, and I would rightfully be disappointed if I scored outside of that.

I'm not unjustified in expecting positive returns from hard work.

User avatar
fruitoftheloom
Posts: 395
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:38 pm

Re: Your LSAT scores; who cares?

Postby fruitoftheloom » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:41 am

OP - a lot of people here post about the test and how they did because this is a forum where people have an interest in common - law school. I have bored my family and friends to death over this topic, and the only ones I know attending law school don't want to talk about the LSAT. People come here to brag, whine, commiserate because let's be real - your family / friends can only listen to so much before they want to cry from boredom. If you feel bad because I did well on the LSAT that's your problem, not mine. Get a life.

User avatar
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Re: Your LSAT scores; who cares?

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:46 am

lsat_taker101 wrote:I can tell you for certain that the vast majority of test-takers did not even make the 170 cut, and some of them can and will look at your posts and feel bad.
Be ashamed of yourselves, if you think this applies to you.

If you break 170, everyone no longer seems elitist. You should read this and retake; then again, maybe not.

Big Dog
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Your LSAT scores; who cares?

Postby Big Dog » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:47 am

There really is no reason to post what you think you've got on here and tell the world how you feel about it.


Personally, I like such posts. And that is because I put on my critical thinking glasses. If (a lot of) someone(s) say(s) that they were aiming for xxx, and came out of the test, saying, 'wtf', there is no way I hit that number..." then I don't feel bad with my xxx-yyy because I then think the test was harder than average. Sure, there are plenty of braggarts/douche bags, but as you grow older, you learn to ignore them and their posts. (And if you don't have a thick skin, trust me, the legal world is not for you.)

It's an anonymous forum, and along with the braggarts comes a lot of very supportive individuals, even for those aiming at ~155+.

User avatar
MT Cicero
Posts: 574
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Your LSAT scores; who cares?

Postby MT Cicero » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:58 am

TripTrip wrote:
lsat_taker101 wrote:I can tell you for certain that the vast majority of test-takers did not even make the 170 cut, and some of them can and will look at your posts and feel bad.
Be ashamed of yourselves, if you think this applies to you.

Screw you. I went over four to five thousand LSAT questions. I worked for hours endlessly to improve my LSAT score. I know where I typically test, in the 99th percentile, and I would rightfully be disappointed if I scored outside of that.

I'm not unjustified in expecting positive returns from hard work.


This, this and more this. Furthermore, had I not found this site and been spurred to action by many of the folks here (simply be reading what was possible), I wouldn't have put myself in the position I was in yesterday.

I had never seen an LSAT question prior to about 28 Sep of this year. 8-9 weeks later and I'll be furious if I have a score without a 7 as the 2nd digit (unless it's an 8 of course). I owe this forum (and pithypike's guide) a huge assist. With a wife, child and 50+ hour per week job flying for the Air Force, I still found the time to devote 20+ hours every week toward dominating this test in a short period of time.

Thanks to all you sharp-witted bastards for the motivation and keep it up.

SEngland
Posts: 140
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:42 pm

Re: Your LSAT scores; who cares?

Postby SEngland » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:07 pm

Grow a nutsack wit hair and at least get a 165.

User avatar
CyanIdes Of March
Posts: 743
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:57 pm

Re: Your LSAT scores; who cares?

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:13 pm

It's not disrespectful to hold high standards and to talk about it in a community that largely holds the same. While the internet is a public place, forums are a place where like-minded people get together and talk about common goals/interest (reminds me of an RC passage very unfortunately) and you should realize that before coming to a forum, rant in hand, and demanding everyone behave in a way that won't make you feel inadequate in some way.

No one here derides people for having lower standards and when they do they are usually scorned by half the posters that follow. That being said, if you feel inadequate because people with higher standards exist, that's a personal problem you should investigate, but attacking the people who have come here to talk about strategy and their own goals is clearly not the right way to approach your problem.

Also, your first hint should had been that the title of this forum is "Top-Law-Schools.com/forums". If you're not interested in that, chances are this forum is not for you.
This, this and more this. Furthermore, had I not found this site and been spurred to action by many of the folks here (simply be reading what was possible), I wouldn't have put myself in the position I was in yesterday.

I had never seen an LSAT question prior to about 28 Sep of this year. 8-9 weeks later and I'll be furious if I have a score without a 7 as the 2nd digit (unless it's an 8 of course). I owe this forum (and pithypike's guide) a huge assist. With a wife, child and 50+ hour per week job flying for the Air Force, I still found the time to devote 20+ hours every week toward dominating this test in a short period of time.

Thanks to all you sharp-witted bastards for the motivation and keep it up.


It's weird to think that this forum may or may not have potentially changed a lot of people's professional lives just by showing them a lot of different ways to study and thus raising their expectations. When I first came here YHS were no one even close to my radar, I was pretty content with the top school in my state. Now I'd be a little disappointed to not have a chance at a school above that level and a lot of that is from seeing other people trying to go as far as they can and facilitating that growth/supplying the knowledge of how the admissions process works. Might actually be a bad thing as far as my health was concerned considering the amount of time/effort put into the test and new expectations that have relatively little chance of being met.

SEngland
Posts: 140
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:42 pm

Re: Your LSAT scores; who cares?

Postby SEngland » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:20 pm

My first PT was a 151. I could not make it through a PT and was all around frustrated. I can hear and was pting in the 170's, already have few waivers, and know how to negotiate scholarships. I owe TLS for all of it.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BOSStongrl, freefish, Pozzo, Rio123 and 10 guests