Score Cancellation?

GorillaWarfare
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:00 pm

Score Cancellation?

Postby GorillaWarfare » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:06 pm

Hey TLS, first time post here. I just walked out of the LSAT and I am seriously debating canceling my score for this round. I have been studying for myself for the past month and have been PTing around 165, though truthfully I haven't taken enough PT to feel like I have a consistent average. I took the test today because I had already pushed the date back once and I figured that I would just cancel it and the day would serve as a great practice experience. In the test I feel like I had a strong showing and I expect that I got a 165 (+/- 2) and that I would keep the score. Of course I discovered this site and all the strats for score improvement a few minutes ago. My question: should I cancel the test like I originally planned or keep it? I think I will take it again either way, but if I wait I will have to wait until September '13 to take it since I am planning on going abroad for a few months.

Hopefully someone can weigh in here.

*edit* more than anything my worry is that I think with more consistent and systemic studying I could have a good chance at getting 170(+). How would school look at a lower score than a higher one v a cancellation and a high one?
Last edited by GorillaWarfare on Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bbsg
Posts: 272
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:07 am

Re: Score Cancellation?

Postby bbsg » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:44 pm

What's your GPA? Unless you're above 3.9 and competitive for YS, the lower score shouldn't really make a lick of difference (even then, they still might not). Harvard and some other say they consider lower scores, but TLS consensus seems to be that they're just -saying- that. It's very, very likely that a 'score cancellation' or a 165 will mean pretty much the same thing if you score higher. If you can't write for some reason, mind you, throwing away a 165 (which is by all accounts outside of the TLS bubble a very good score, and competitive for the vast vast majority of law schools) will be regrettable.

If I were you I'd sit on it.

User avatar
Teflon_Don
Posts: 474
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:04 pm

Re: Score Cancellation?

Postby Teflon_Don » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:03 pm

Good advice, sleep on it. But I would keep the score. You really have nothing to lose

User avatar
Funkycrime
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:31 pm

Re: Score Cancellation?

Postby Funkycrime » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:06 pm

Interesting, my history with the LSAT is almost identical to yours. Pulled out of October, averaging 165 with too small of a sample, and debating canceling today. I basically guessed on all of the voicemails game though, so my decision is pretty easy.

User avatar
willwash
Posts: 318
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:51 pm

Re: Score Cancellation?

Postby willwash » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:07 pm

Don't cancel...at least not today or tomorrow. If you cancel you definitely have to retake. If you don't cancel, maybe you won't, and if you do your target schools will just take your higher score anyway.

GorillaWarfare
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:00 pm

Re: Score Cancellation?

Postby GorillaWarfare » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:16 pm

My GPA is a ~3.5 coming out of Columbia and I'm an URM. I know a 165 is a good score- I'm not trying to come across as arrogant, but I'm hoping to get into a top 5 law school. In my fairy tale I'd have at least a chance at YLS but with my GPA I know I'm definitely going to need a really strong LSAT score.

I'll definitely sleep on it, but right now I'm leaning towards a cancellation especially since I think if I went through with more conistent studying I could shatter my ceiling. Thanks for all the advice guys.

User avatar
CyanIdes Of March
Posts: 743
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:57 pm

Re: Score Cancellation?

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:07 pm

Since you're a URM you're going to get mixed replies ranging from keep it (if its around 165 because you'll still get in a ton of good places) and retake because if you are around a 165 without all that much studying, you could get at least CCN with scholarship money with a 170 which it seems like you'd be able to hit.

EDIT: Regardless, I'd keep it. I can't see how having it is going to hurt you any more than a cancel.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: addie1412, bearedman8, blackmamba8, dontsaywhatyoumean, KillaKam92, laqueredup, neptunian and 15 guests