Tips for calming nerves?

bananapudding88

Tips for calming nerves?

Postby bananapudding88 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:14 pm

I've been doing okay on PTs the past several weeks and know I've improved a lot. I've taken 10 and my average is 168.3 (not great by TLS standards, but def an improvement from my Oct score). I would have done more, but I needed time to get through the Manhattan LG and LR strategy guides, as well as half of their RC guide. I feel like my level of competence has increased and, even when i go -10 or more on a PT I still feel, overall, I generally know what I am doing (which wasn't how I felt going in to the Oct test).

Anyway, my number one fear tomorrow is that I will be such a nervous wreck that I won't be able to tap into the knowledge/skill I've acquired over the past month. My fear is that I'll be so agitated I'll end up wasting time rereading LR stimuli and sentences/paragraphs in RC because I can't calm down long enough to just focus. Doesn't help that this is my third retake and the pressure is high to get my shit together once and for all.

Obviously confidence is important here, but short of miraculously acquiring the ego of Johnny Bravo overnight, is there anything I can do to calm my nerves before the test?

Thanks in advance, ya'll!

ETA: Hugs not drugs!

CyanIdes Of March

Re: Tips for calming nerves?

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:23 pm

Yea... I can't help you out there. I have the same fear but leading up to it I've been a lot calmer and less stressed than I thought'd I'd be. I'm hoping that this calm remains with me throughout the test. Just when you're taking it, try to remember that you've taken the same test x amount of times and this is no different than everyone of those that you've taken.

KFV

Postby KFV » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:02 pm

Also quite nervous and I'm not the sort of person who's usually nervous for anything. Hoping I'm even able to fall asleep tonight.

hume85

Postby hume85 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:08 pm

(1)Doing cardiovascular exercise tonight should help provided that the following are true: (a) you are healthy enough to exercise and do so with some regularity and (b) you don't exercise too late tonight.
(2)You also might want to consider masturbating.

Best of luck!

Alorain

Postby Alorain » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:26 pm

hume85 wrote:(1)Doing cardiovascular exercise tonight should help provided that the following are true: (a) you are healthy enough to exercise and do so with some regularity and (b) you don't exercise too late tonight.

Best of luck!

I lol'd.

But the advice is sound.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:39 pm

Alorain wrote:
hume85 wrote:(1)Doing cardiovascular exercise tonight should help provided that the following are true: (a) you are healthy enough to exercise and do so with some regularity and (b) you don't exercise too late tonight.

Best of luck!

I lol'd.

But the advice is sound.

+1

My flight surgeon used to say that masturbation has probably done more for anxiety/insomnia sufferers than all the Valium and Sominex ever prescribed.

bananapudding88

Postby bananapudding88 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:25 pm

Thanks, all you lovely people! Great advice has been given :D In the end, I spent my evening eating McDonald's and watching this week's X Factor episodes (which I missed cuz I was studying). I'm feeling pretty okay now.. should even be able to fall asleep easily. Hopefully my chilled out 'tude lasts through the morning and afternoon tomorrow! GOOD LUCK DEC 12 TEST TAKERS!! muahh

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”