ITT Yet another withdrawal is considered - nerves? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
RCinDNA

Bronze

ITT Yet another withdrawal is considered - nerves?

Post by RCinDNA » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:57 pm

Hello all: I've been prepping for the past year, took the December 11 and October 12 tests. Despite prepping in the 165-170 range, I often freak out or under-perform on LG games. The first time I took the test, I had never seen a comparative reading section and combined with LG, I got a 153. The next time, I got a 157, largely due to completely falling apart in the LG section (as in bombed it to the tune of only getting 10 right).

My key weakness has always been LG. While my LR has improved, it's consistently in the 18-21 credited range, while my RC is usually 20-23, so I'm in the position of literally having a 165+ score depend on doing well on the LG section. That is my biggest variation - when I nail it, my score hits 170, if I fall apart, it's in the high 150s. I've taken about 15-20 prep tests at this point, so I have enough data to note that I have enough of a mastery of the LG methods to perform well under test conditions but a faulty track records when the adrenaline hits on the actual test.

Softs: I am 31, work full time as a paralegal with 8 years of experience and am a gay African American Male with a disappointing 2.7 GPA (had to work through school) but have great recommendations from my supervising attorneys. have really put pressure on myself to make up for the low GPA. I would love to start applying now (esp. since everyone knows I took the LSAT in October and want to go in 2013), but I am fully aware that if the odds are not in my favor tomorrow and I get a murderously difficult test form, I would need to apply with at least a 157 anyway.

So, what sayeth thou, TLS? 1) Is this just nerves and should I just dig in tomorrow and knock this out or are six more months of prep needed?

Kind of strange, because I am not nervous when going back and forth with opposing counsel during negotiation or contract review.

ph14

Gold

Re: ITT Yet another withdrawal is considered - nerves?

Post by ph14 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:40 pm

RCinDNA wrote:Hello all: I've been prepping for the past year, took the December 11 and October 12 tests. Despite prepping in the 165-170 range, I often freak out or under-perform on LG games. The first time I took the test, I had never seen a comparative reading section and combined with LG, I got a 153. The next time, I got a 157, largely due to completely falling apart in the LG section (as in bombed it to the tune of only getting 10 right).

My key weakness has always been LG. While my LR has improved, it's consistently in the 18-21 credited range, while my RC is usually 20-23, so I'm in the position of literally having a 165+ score depend on doing well on the LG section. That is my biggest variation - when I nail it, my score hits 170, if I fall apart, it's in the high 150s. I've taken about 15-20 prep tests at this point, so I have enough data to note that I have enough of a mastery of the LG methods to perform well under test conditions but a faulty track records when the adrenaline hits on the actual test.

Softs: I am 31, work full time as a paralegal with 8 years of experience and am a gay African American Male with a disappointing 2.7 GPA (had to work through school) but have great recommendations from my supervising attorneys. have really put pressure on myself to make up for the low GPA. I would love to start applying now (esp. since everyone knows I took the LSAT in October and want to go in 2013), but I am fully aware that if the odds are not in my favor tomorrow and I get a murderously difficult test form, I would need to apply with at least a 157 anyway.

So, what sayeth thou, TLS? 1) Is this just nerves and should I just dig in tomorrow and knock this out or are six more months of prep needed?

Kind of strange, because I am not nervous when going back and forth with opposing counsel during negotiation or contract review.
What have you scored on the last 5 prep tests? If your average score there is something you would be happy with, then take it tomorrow. If not, then withdraw and continue studying. Keep in mind that people sometimes drop a point or a few points below their practice average on the real test due to nerves.

mystikal

New

Post by mystikal » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:56 pm

Wow wish I had your scores in RC bro...I asked myself and TLS this question before...And decided to sit back and practice until my brain falls apart...if I were you though serious LG is the most easiest too improve, you could come out with a killer score if you master that section!
- what have you been using for practice??
As others mentioned get the LGB and try to practice what they are telling you too do...this is important because it will help you tackle the easier problems with minimal time, and leave the harder ones with extra time. Try to dissect every game, 3-5 times..and its a trend with each game, your bound too see in the future

RCinDNA wrote:Hello all: I've been prepping for the past year, took the December 11 and October 12 tests. Despite prepping in the 165-170 range, I often freak out or under-perform on LG games. The first time I took the test, I had never seen a comparative reading section and combined with LG, I got a 153. The next time, I got a 157, largely due to completely falling apart in the LG section (as in bombed it to the tune of only getting 10 right).

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:52 pm

mystikal wrote:Wow wish I had your scores in RC bro...I asked myself and TLS this question before...And decided to sit back and practice until my brain falls apart...if I were you though serious LG is the most easiest too improve, you could come out with a killer score if you master that section!
- what have you been using for practice??
As others mentioned get the LGB and try to practice what they are telling you too do...this is important because it will help you tackle the easier problems with minimal time, and leave the harder ones with extra time. Try to dissect every game, 3-5 times..and its a trend with each game, your bound too see in the future
I've studied for a little over a year - drilling the Cambridge Bibles, have read and re-read the PS LG and LR Bibles, read the Manhattan RC and LG guides and taken multiple PTs. I suppose the real question is if it is possible to get over test day nerves because I seriously lost it on the LG section last time.

kckool7

Bronze

Post by kckool7 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:13 pm

You've been prepping for a year. It's time. You're going to kill it tomorrow.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:57 pm

kckool7 wrote:You've been prepping for a year. It's time. You're going to kill it tomorrow.
+1

boblawlob

Silver

Post by boblawlob » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:22 pm

Have there been anomalies during your prep despite PT'ing 165-170. Anomalies are very real and should not be ignored. LG, as everyone says, is the easiest section to improve on. The trick to LG is to attack the answer choices based upon which one would be most affected by the rules rather than always start from A to E and trying to knock each one down one by one.

red52

Bronze

Post by red52 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:57 pm

Common man, a YEAR! you want this so bad. Just go there tomorrow and do your best. Use all the knowledge that you know you have and when you start to "freak out" tell yourself that you KNOW THIS TEST.

I'm taking it tomorrow too.... I feel the same way. Here's the best advice I've gotten during my prep... and it was actually on this site.. It really helped me during the real test.

-every answer will fit perfectly; every wrong answer will have something wrong with it, so eliminate the wrong choices.

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:24 pm

I ended up getting sick yesterday from something I ate, so I withdrew. I will probably do the undisclosed test in February.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SEngland

Bronze

Post by SEngland » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:13 pm

RCinDNA wrote:I ended up getting sick yesterday from something I ate, so I withdrew. I will probably do the undisclosed test in February.
At some point you are going to have to just take the test. 157 is not good but its a score. What is your GPA?

Feb test is not one I would advise, are you applying for Fall 2013?

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:51 pm

SEngland wrote:
RCinDNA wrote:I ended up getting sick yesterday from something I ate, so I withdrew. I will probably do the undisclosed test in February.
At some point you are going to have to just take the test. 157 is not good but its a score. What is your GPA?

Feb test is not one I would advise, are you applying for Fall 2013?
2.7, so I need a strong score closer to my PT personal bests to be a splitter. I thought I was nervous but it turned out to be indigestion or a stomach bug. I've taken the test twice before, so I'm not necessarily freaked out by sitting for the test overall and I wanted to apply for this cycle but realistically, I could always apply next cycle. I actually left work early on Friday and had to make a decision before the deadline passed. I don't think I could concentrate on the test if I needed to leave the room every 30 or so minutes. I see your point, though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”