Help Needed: I have to make a quick decision

User avatar
dasani13
Posts: 1055
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 3:21 pm

Help Needed: I have to make a quick decision

Postby dasani13 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:47 am

I have taken the LSAT before but I cancelled the score the day I took it so it was never recorded. Now I am registered to take it this weekend and, unfortunately I'm still not ready. I know I can do better than what I have been scoring on my practice tests, so I am going to take it in February.

How bad is it that I'm going to have 2 scores that were cancelled the day I took it? Is it better if I just take it and don't cancel the score, and have a low score and then a higher one in February? I am scoring in the low 160's but I know I can score in the high 160s, which would make a huge difference in terms of to which schools I'm going to able to apply.

Does it even make a difference/do law schools know whether I actually go to the testing center and take the test (then cancel the score) or if I just don't show up?

Thanks in advance for the help!!

User avatar
PickledPanda
Posts: 292
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:43 pm

Re: Help Needed: I have to make a quick decision

Postby PickledPanda » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:53 am

dasani13 wrote:I have taken the LSAT before but I cancelled the score the day I took it so it was never recorded. Now I am registered to take it this weekend and, unfortunately I'm still not ready. I know I can do better than what I have been scoring on my practice tests, so I am going to take it in February.

How bad is it that I'm going to have 2 scores that were cancelled the day I took it? Is it better if I just take it and don't cancel the score, and have a low score and then a higher one in February? I am scoring in the low 160's but I know I can score in the high 160s, which would make a huge difference in terms of to which schools I'm going to able to apply.

Does it even make a difference/do law schools know whether I actually go to the testing center and take the test (then cancel the score) or if I just don't show up?

Thanks in advance for the help!!


You can:

1) Cancel the test tomorrow, take the LSAT in June. It won't show up as a take and cancel.
2) Take the test and retake in Feb.

Option 1 means you have to wait out a cycle but allows you ample time to cement your score into the upper 160s. It also means you won't use one of your three tries in 2 years. I recommend this.

Option 2 means you will pray to score high enough for a WL then retake in Feb to get off of the wait-list. Taking Feb for the first time will put you at a huge disadvantage and is not listed as a viable option. I do not recommend this. If you do not feel ready I think you will do worse than you think and fuck yourself out of your goal school.

GL!

User avatar
dasani13
Posts: 1055
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 3:21 pm

Re: Help Needed: I have to make a quick decision

Postby dasani13 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:59 am

PickledPanda wrote:
dasani13 wrote:I have taken the LSAT before but I cancelled the score the day I took it so it was never recorded. Now I am registered to take it this weekend and, unfortunately I'm still not ready. I know I can do better than what I have been scoring on my practice tests, so I am going to take it in February.

How bad is it that I'm going to have 2 scores that were cancelled the day I took it? Is it better if I just take it and don't cancel the score, and have a low score and then a higher one in February? I am scoring in the low 160's but I know I can score in the high 160s, which would make a huge difference in terms of to which schools I'm going to able to apply.

Does it even make a difference/do law schools know whether I actually go to the testing center and take the test (then cancel the score) or if I just don't show up?

Thanks in advance for the help!!


You can:

1) Cancel the test tomorrow, take the LSAT in June. It won't show up as a take and cancel.
2) Take the test and retake in Feb.

Option 1 means you have to wait out a cycle but allows you ample time to cement your score into the upper 160s. It also means you won't use one of your three tries in 2 years. I recommend this.

Option 2 means you will pray to score high enough for a WL then retake in Feb to get off of the wait-list. Taking Feb for the first time will put you at a huge disadvantage and is not listed as a viable option. I do not recommend this. If you do not feel ready I think you will do worse than you think and fuck yourself out of your goal school.

GL!



My goal school is Cornell and with a 3.7 GPA I think I should be ok with a 168. I know I'm capable of it, I just havent been able to break 165. Untimed I can get in the 170s so my main (huge) problem is timing.

I didn't know that I could cancel and that it wouldn't show up! I was told that if I cancel so late after I registered (2 days before the test), schools will still be able to see it and it would be the same as if I had taken and cancelled. Wtf? Damn pre-law advisors at state schools.

User avatar
PickledPanda
Posts: 292
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:43 pm

Re: Help Needed: I have to make a quick decision

Postby PickledPanda » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:03 am

dasani13 wrote:
PickledPanda wrote:
dasani13 wrote:I have taken the LSAT before but I cancelled the score the day I took it so it was never recorded. Now I am registered to take it this weekend and, unfortunately I'm still not ready. I know I can do better than what I have been scoring on my practice tests, so I am going to take it in February.

How bad is it that I'm going to have 2 scores that were cancelled the day I took it? Is it better if I just take it and don't cancel the score, and have a low score and then a higher one in February? I am scoring in the low 160's but I know I can score in the high 160s, which would make a huge difference in terms of to which schools I'm going to able to apply.

Does it even make a difference/do law schools know whether I actually go to the testing center and take the test (then cancel the score) or if I just don't show up?

Thanks in advance for the help!!


You can:

1) Cancel the test tomorrow, take the LSAT in June. It won't show up as a take and cancel.
2) Take the test and retake in Feb.

Option 1 means you have to wait out a cycle but allows you ample time to cement your score into the upper 160s. It also means you won't use one of your three tries in 2 years. I recommend this.

Option 2 means you will pray to score high enough for a WL then retake in Feb to get off of the wait-list. Taking Feb for the first time will put you at a huge disadvantage and is not listed as a viable option. I do not recommend this. If you do not feel ready I think you will do worse than you think and fuck yourself out of your goal school.

GL!



My goal school is Cornell and with a 3.7 GPA I think I should be ok with a 168. I know I'm capable of it, I just havent been able to break 165. Untimed I can get in the 170s so my main (huge) problem is timing.

I didn't know that I could cancel and that it wouldn't show up! I was told that if I cancel so late after I registered (2 days before the test), schools will still be able to see it and it would be the same as if I had taken and cancelled. Wtf? Damn pre-law advisors at state schools.


1. Take in June when you can PT in the 170s. 2) Get a 170+ 3) Go on scholarship.

Unless you would want somewhere else at that point.

User avatar
bobbypin
Posts: 256
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:50 pm

Re: Help Needed: I have to make a quick decision

Postby bobbypin » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:56 pm

Are you ever going to be ready? (Not being snarky) But you have dropped $160 twice and are considering paying it a third time. Do you have what it takes to buckle down and study for the next test?

User avatar
dasani13
Posts: 1055
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 3:21 pm

Re: Help Needed: I have to make a quick decision

Postby dasani13 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:01 pm

bobbypin wrote:Are you ever going to be ready? (Not being snarky) But you have dropped $160 twice and are considering paying it a third time. Do you have what it takes to buckle down and study for the next test?


The second time I registered was during late registration, so that was like $250 :oops: Money isn't really an issue right now and I've seen consistent score increase when I study so yes, I've got it. You're right though, I just have to buckle down and do it.

User avatar
dasani13
Posts: 1055
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 3:21 pm

Re: Help Needed: I have to make a quick decision

Postby dasani13 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:02 pm

PickledPanda wrote:
dasani13 wrote:I have taken the LSAT before but I cancelled the score the day I took it so it was never recorded. Now I am registered to take it this weekend and, unfortunately I'm still not ready. I know I can do better than what I have been scoring on my practice tests, so I am going to take it in February.

How bad is it that I'm going to have 2 scores that were cancelled the day I took it? Is it better if I just take it and don't cancel the score, and have a low score and then a higher one in February? I am scoring in the low 160's but I know I can score in the high 160s, which would make a huge difference in terms of to which schools I'm going to able to apply.

Does it even make a difference/do law schools know whether I actually go to the testing center and take the test (then cancel the score) or if I just don't show up?

Thanks in advance for the help!!


You can:

1) Cancel the test tomorrow, take the LSAT in June. It won't show up as a take and cancel.
2) Take the test and retake in Feb.

Option 1 means you have to wait out a cycle but allows you ample time to cement your score into the upper 160s. It also means you won't use one of your three tries in 2 years. I recommend this.

Option 2 means you will pray to score high enough for a WL then retake in Feb to get off of the wait-list. Taking Feb for the first time will put you at a huge disadvantage and is not listed as a viable option. I do not recommend this. If you do not feel ready I think you will do worse than you think and fuck yourself out of your goal school.

GL!



Thank you very much for your help. I ended up withdrawing and I've started studying for February.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: #gobroncos, bearedman8, floatie, Instrumental, jonny27, mrgstephe, phelpsy, wildquest8200 and 11 guests