Gonna withdraw and form 6 month study plan, need advice

b33eazy

Gonna withdraw and form 6 month study plan, need advice

Postby b33eazy » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:59 pm

Ok, I decided I will delay my LSAT and sit out one more cycle due to practicing testing in the 140s. I decided I need some form of help, so I will be taking Blueprint online course. In addition, I will be signing up for June 2013 and shoot for the 2013-2014 cycle. Any advice for me? I still have trouble getting to the fourth section on the reading comprehension. What type of reading material should I focus on during my six month hiatus? And I am still weak in the assumption problem types and some Logic Games problem types. Should I reread my powerscore and/or Manhattan books to work on those. And my time is just terrible with everything. Should I just work on accuracy again or a mixture of them both during this time?

GGforLSAT

Re: Gonna withdraw and form 6 month study plan, need advice

Postby GGforLSAT » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:10 am

Set goals. What is your target score? Figure that out, then by February, try to make 25% progress, by mid March 50%, May 75%, Mid June 100%. That is the ideal at least.

As far as something more specific, try to learn the broad patterns in the test. For example: know the different types of Logical Reasoning questions (13 or so), the different types of Logic games (I put them in 3 categories, but I think most people put them into 5-7 categories), and get familiar with some suggested methods on how to read Reading Comp passages. From there it is just getting familiar with more and more specific patterns of question types and passages.

annet

Postby annet » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:53 am

I glanced at your old posts and it looks like you've done both PS bibles.

Having now finished the Manhattan LR book I can say for sure that it was better for me than the PS LR bible. LR is my worst section and I found the way Manhattan presented things much easier to understand. I would go through it slowly, making sure you really get the concepts, before you commit to a full class. You can supplement it by drilling specific question types in the Cambridge downloadable bundles too. Noodley convinced me to give Manhattan a try and he was 100% right.

I didn't have time to loop back and do the Manhattan LG book to compare it to PS; it could be worth a try before you pay for a course. PS games bible helped me understand the games and get the logic but I wasn't able to apply their method to actual test conditions and get games done in 8 minutes. I just got too flustered and wasn't able to organize my thoughts. I highly recommend Velocity's games course. Dave's method may not be as elegant and clever but, dude, I can crush games in 8 minutes and that's what matters.

The tips for RC here on the forum are all good. I think where you're at now you just need to keep practicing and get your speed up.

I don't know about speed vs. accuracy. I've been bouncing back and forth. My instinct is to say get your accuracy up before focusing on speed but I'll defer to some of the experts that hang around here on that.

b33eazy

Postby b33eazy » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:41 am

Thanks.^ Any more tips would be helpful.

BullShitWithBravado

Postby BullShitWithBravado » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:19 pm

Have you literally sat down and memorized each type of question found in each section? That's what I did with the PS bibles and it was very useful. Also, have you tried Kaplan? I took the course online and it was very useful because they literally give you a break down of what types of questions you need to work on. That type of feedback alone was invaluable to me.

Another option may be to get a private tutor who can give you specific advice on what you should be working on. Maybe signing up for just one or two sessions before signing up for any other LSAT courses would be useful to identify what you need to work on.

There are other ways to boost your score that have everything to do with strategy, like skipping certain types of questions so that you have more time to answer questions that you're more likely to get correct, etc.

As far as reading goes, I don't think reading anything other than the reading sections found in practice LSATs will be that useful. The reading part of the test is hard because the readings are boring as hell. I can't think of any reading material that will match the dryness of the LSAT reading section (other than the horrible readings you will get assigned once you're in law school, of course).

RCinDNA

Postby RCinDNA » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:30 pm

BullShitWithBravado wrote:Have you literally sat down and memorized each type of question found in each section? That's what I did with the PS bibles and it was very useful. Also, have you tried Kaplan? I took the course online and it was very useful because they literally give you a break down of what types of questions you need to work on. That type of feedback alone was invaluable to me.

Another option may be to get a private tutor who can give you specific advice on what you should be working on. Maybe signing up for just one or two sessions before signing up for any other LSAT courses would be useful to identify what you need to work on.

There are other ways to boost your score that have everything to do with strategy, like skipping certain types of questions so that you have more time to answer questions that you're more likely to get correct, etc.

As far as reading goes, I don't think reading anything other than the reading sections found in practice LSATs will be that useful. The reading part of the test is hard because the readings are boring as hell. I can't think of any reading material that will match the dryness of the LSAT reading section (other than the horrible readings you will get assigned once you're in law school, of course).

I'm a very strong reader and I practice concentrated, critical reading on a daily basis, but I have to agree with the above statement. The Manhattan LSAT RC book really helped me here. I focused on LG and RC prep for the past month and their P.E.A.R. method is a great way to remain focused and objective about the subject matter. It was actually a relief to find a way to break that section down into a formula of some sort, because you don't really have that much time to read those passages for understanding.

I'll say that reading challenging articles or books with complete focus and then breaking down the structure of the argument does help internalize the approach but nothing was better prep than drilling the passages when it came time to pull it together.

b33eazy

Postby b33eazy » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:42 pm

BullShitWithBravado wrote:Have you literally sat down and memorized each type of question found in each section? That's what I did with the PS bibles and it was very useful. Also, have you tried Kaplan? I took the course online and it was very useful because they literally give you a break down of what types of questions you need to work on. That type of feedback alone was invaluable to me.

I've looked at Kaplan material and I have memorized Powerscore first but that didn't help, so I tried Manhattan, which helped me some but not enough.

ptittle

Postby ptittle » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:52 am

If you go the private tutor route, go intensively. One person I was working with went from just a business degree and a career in real estate to a first practice test score of 169 in just two months. But he was working with me 3x/wk. Others working with me at that intensity have also shown lots of progress. On the other hand, I've got someone who calls me to set up a session once a week, if that, and, frankly, I'm not seeing a whole lot of movement forward. Total immersion seems to work well.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”