Science on RC

retakebro222

Science on RC

Postby retakebro222 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:30 pm

For those of you who have/had trouble on the science passages for reading comp, how were you able to do better. I'm good on all the others passages but the science always manages to screw up my thinking and throw me off.

M458

Re: Science on RC

Postby M458 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:57 pm

retakebro222 wrote:For those of you who have/had trouble on the science passages for reading comp, how were you able to do better. I'm good on all the others passages but the science always manages to screw up my thinking and throw me off.

Don't let new terms throw you off. Once I stopped being "scared"/"thrown off" by science passages, I actually realized they tend to have the easiest questions. The LSAT testmakers are counting on you to be confused by the wording in the passage. If you look at it objectively, I think you'll find that often the questions for science passages tend to be more straightforward. Don't worry so much about understanding the technicalities of every tiny detail and description--focus on structure and as you read, don't commit everything to memory, rather note where things are in the passage. For example, if you're reading about experiments with nuclear fission, don't try to fully understand how nuclear fission actually happens as described in the passage. As soon as you see it, make a note on the side--describes process of fission--and then when you get to a question that references it or asks you about it, you can refer back to that specific section, save yourself some time, and get what you need to answer the question.

Use science passages to your advantage! Literature/law/arts passages can sometimes feel subjective. Science, by its very nature, tends to be a bit more objective. The answers are all in the passage and it's your job to find them; make your life easier by creating "guideposts" as you read so as you read the questions you'll know where the pieces of the puzzle are.

Hope this helps...science passages used to destroy me, but ever since taking this approach, I've improved a lot.

lsatkid007

Postby lsatkid007 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:59 pm

M458 wrote:
retakebro222 wrote:For those of you who have/had trouble on the science passages for reading comp, how were you able to do better. I'm good on all the others passages but the science always manages to screw up my thinking and throw me off.

Don't let new terms throw you off. Once I stopped being "scared"/"thrown off" by science passages, I actually realized they tend to have the easiest questions. The LSAT testmakers are counting on you to be confused by the wording in the passage. If you look at it objectively, I think you'll find that often the questions for science passages tend to be more straightforward. Don't worry so much about understanding the technicalities of every tiny detail and description--focus on structure and as you read, don't commit everything to memory, rather note where things are in the passage. For example, if you're reading about experiments with nuclear fission, don't try to fully understand how nuclear fission actually happens as described in the passage. As soon as you see it, make a note on the side--describes process of fission--and then when you get to a question that references it or asks you about it, you can refer back to that specific section, save yourself some time, and get what you need to answer the question.

Use science passages to your advantage! Literature/law/arts passages can sometimes feel subjective. Science, by its very nature, tends to be a bit more objective. The answers are all in the passage and it's your job to find them; make your life easier by creating "guideposts" as you read so as you read the questions you'll know where the pieces of the puzzle are.

Hope this helps...science passages used to destroy me, but ever since taking this approach, I've improved a lot.

So what's your approach for literature, law, arts passages? I have one hell of time with these.

LionelHutzJD

Postby LionelHutzJD » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:57 pm

There is no particular method for the subject. You need to read for structure. You shouldn't even really be thinking about the subject too much. With enough practice RC becomes straightforward and involves speed.

lsatkid007

Postby lsatkid007 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:26 pm

I'm having one hell of time with "according to the passage.." questions. Any helpful tips? I am reading for structure and I have gotten much better but still no where close to where I want to be.

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:09 am

Like others have said, it all comes down to structure. I originally shared your sentiments. At this point, I honestly believe the humanities sections (especially the passages regarding paintings...grr) are tougher than most of the science passages. Keep drilling and eventually you'll be able to spot patterns.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”