Saturday's Test and Big Decisions, Please Help

elorica8

Saturday's Test and Big Decisions, Please Help

Postby elorica8 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:32 pm

Last edited by elorica8 on Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

gguuueessttt

Re: Saturday's Test and Big Decisions, Please Help

Postby gguuueessttt » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:36 pm

elorica8 wrote:b) Opt to go do a one-year masters that I deferred admission to last year and reapply next cycle (for 2014/15), which would mean (more) debt but which I feel would certainly put me over the top in terms of getting into Harvard at least

what? you think a one year masters will push you over the edge in terms of getting into harvard at least?

In regards to the rest of your post, if you are a URM, I say take it. Otherwise, even your high PT scores (167/8) are not high enough to have any shot at Harvard, which seems to be your goal, so wait a cycle.

florida1949

Postby florida1949 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:39 pm

you seem like a really pessimistic person. why would law schools look down on you for taking a job post-undergrad?

I'd probably just take the LSAT. If you get a satisfactory score (whatever that is to you) then apply this cycle and see how things go. If you don't get into H/Y and other options aren't appealing to you, you could retake and re-apply next cycle.

PickledPanda

Postby PickledPanda » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:42 pm

elorica8 wrote:Hi Everyone,

I am registered to take Saturday (Dec 1) test, and, like many on the forums I'm sure, I'm freaking out.

I had been PTing at 167-168 for awhile, but in completing the most recent PTs, I have seen that number drop (got a 163 on PT 66) and I feel myself struggling with RC and LGs more than before. I had originally been signed up in October, but in the hopes of raising my score, I postponed. Now I am afraid that I won't even get the 167-168. What's more, I have a very silly mistake haunting me from undergrad days, when I stupidly took the LSAT and didn't cancel, and therefore suffered the consequences of a 149 on my record. I'm a URM (AA), female, graduated 2011 from a top-three Ivy-league school, with a GPA of 3.6 with honors and awards. Lots of travel experience and experience working abroad, four foreign languages. I really want to get into a top five program. Actually, I really want H or Y.

Right now, I feel like my options are:

a) Take the test on Saturday and take my chances... and suffer the possible consequences of either a cancel on the record or a 149/165 or whatever/???
b) Opt to go do a one-year masters that I deferred admission to last year and reapply next cycle (for 2014/15), which would mean (more) debt but which I feel would certainly put me over the top in terms of getting into Harvard at least
c) Work for another year in my soul-crushing corporate job, which means no Masters but no added debt, but the lurking feeling that schools will look down on that and also that, given the generosity of the top schools FinAid and loan repayment plans, it's not really saving me that much money

What do you guys think? Be gentle please, but be honest :)

Thank you so much.

First off do not take the LSAT unless you feel your floor is in the 160s. A 165 will give you a wonderful shot at Harvard. Yale is more prickly. In order:
a) If you know a 165 is the worst that you will get, take it.
b) A masters is a decent soft factor, but nothing compared to your LSAT/GPA/ AAness
c) The job helps, not hurts, your admissions prospects. They like to see real world experience.

gguuueessttt

Postby gguuueessttt » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:48 pm

Wormfather wrote:
gguuueessttt wrote:
elorica8 wrote:b) Opt to go do a one-year masters that I deferred admission to last year and reapply next cycle (for 2014/15), which would mean (more) debt but which I feel would certainly put me over the top in terms of getting into Harvard at least

what? you think a one year masters will push you over the edge in terms of getting into harvard at least?

In regards to the rest of your post, if you are a URM, I say take it. Otherwise, even your high PT scores (167/8) are not high enough to have any shot at Harvard, which seems to be your goal, so wait a cycle.

WHAT!?!!?

OP is from an Ivy, AA, has WE, speaks multiple languages and has an IVY GPA of 3.5 plus. If she hits 165 Harvard will admit her.

/endthread

worm, I said if she's URM she should take it. You are agreeing with me in a very shocked tone.

PickledPanda

Postby PickledPanda » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:50 pm

gguuueessttt wrote:

worm, I said if she's URM she should take it. You are agreeing with me in a very shocked tone.

I too am often shocked when I find myself agreeing with you.

gguuueessttt

Postby gguuueessttt » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:53 pm

Wormfather wrote:
EXACTLY, I AGREE!!! ROARRRR!!!1

/ragequit
PickledPanda wrote:
gguuueessttt wrote:

I too am often shocked when I find myself agreeing with you.

you both just made me laugh out loud in class.

alex.feuerman

Postby alex.feuerman » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:54 pm

c) Work for another year in my soul-crushing corporate job, which means no Masters but no added debt, but the lurking feeling that schools will look down on that and also that, given the generosity of the top schools FinAid and loan repayment plans, it's not really saving me that much money

Do this. No offense, but you're an idiot if you take out loans for a useless master's program. As an AA, you have a very real shot at HYS. Just suck it up. I HATE my job too but postponed for a year so I could score higher. And paychecks are nice? Come on, you know you know it paychecks are nice. It's one year you can do it it'll be gone so fast.

elorica8

Postby elorica8 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:57 pm

Hey Guys,

Thanks. As always, prompt and amazing.

What do you think about the 149 thing? Is that not a huge red flag, enough to make it necessary for me to get at least 170, even as a URM? I know other URMs have gotten into Harvard with 164s or even less, but they have applied earlier in the cycle and don't have a terrible score already.

Also, when I said about law schools looking down on my for my job, I didn't mean because I took a job, but because I'm trying to sell myself in applications as someone who is interested in human rights (I've done legal aid work in the Middle East), but I am afraid that's getting to be a less and less compelling story the longer I stay at this job.

Any additional thoughts?

elorica8

Postby elorica8 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:00 pm

alex.feuerman wrote:c) Work for another year in my soul-crushing corporate job, which means no Masters but no added debt, but the lurking feeling that schools will look down on that and also that, given the generosity of the top schools FinAid and loan repayment plans, it's not really saving me that much money

Do this. No offense, but you're an idiot if you take out loans for a useless master's program. As an AA, you have a very real shot at HYS. Just suck it up. I HATE my job too but postponed for a year so I could score higher. And paychecks are nice? Come on, you know you know it paychecks are nice. It's one year you can do it it'll be gone so fast.

Haha Alex, where do you work? Maybe we're colleagues.

PickledPanda

Postby PickledPanda » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:02 pm

elorica8 wrote:Hey Guys,

Thanks. As always, prompt and amazing.

What do you think about the 149 thing? Is that not a huge red flag, enough to make it necessary for me to get at least 170, even as a URM? I know other URMs have gotten into Harvard with 164s or even less, but they have applied earlier in the cycle and don't have a terrible score already.

Also, when I said about law schools looking down on my for my job, I didn't mean because I took a job, but because I'm trying to sell myself in applications as someone who is interested in human rights (I've done legal aid work in the Middle East), but I am afraid that's getting to be a less and less compelling story the longer I stay at this job.

Any additional thoughts?

The admissions officers are people too. They understand that we work jobs that are less than ideal in order to survive. Don't make a problem that doesn't exist.

The 149 still puts you in the top 40% of AA test takers. It is not a red flag, especially since there is time and space between that score and your pending 165+. Most non auto-admit URMs are held until the end of the cycle anyways, and you are not at a disadvantage applying later in the cycle. This is especially true for Yale.

Cerebro

Postby Cerebro » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:09 pm

alex.feuerman wrote:Do this. No offense, but you're an idiot if you take out loans for a useless master's program. As an AA, you have a very real shot at HYS. Just suck it up. I HATE my job too but postponed for a year so I could score higher. And paychecks are nice? Come on, you know you know it paychecks are nice. It's one year you can do it it'll be gone so fast.

Me too. I've hated my job for the past 4 years, but I love the money. I feel like I've hated almost every job I've had over the past 15 years, but I've always loved the money. In my experience, few people honestly LOVE their jobs, more people HATE their jobs, and a majority(?) of people are content to suck it up, punch the clock, get drunk on Friday nights, complain about how much their life sucks, and do it all over again on Monday morning.

Trust me. Hating a job is not a real motivation to do anything. You'll likely just end up in another pathetic situation, looking for a way out.

Yes, paychecks are real nice.

elorica8

Postby elorica8 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:45 pm

Yes, you are right. I feel like sometimes I let the restlessness get to me and that's no good for making rational decisions. Also, since I'm still so junior, that paychecks bit isn't even really there yet :)

Thanks again for all your input. I appreciate it.

I'll take it this Sunday. Wish me luck!

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:48 pm

elorica8 wrote:Hi Everyone,

I am registered to take Saturday (Dec 1) test, and, like many on the forums I'm sure, I'm freaking out.

I had been PTing at 167-168 for awhile, but in completing the most recent PTs, I have seen that number drop (got a 163 on PT 66) and I feel myself struggling with RC and LGs more than before. I had originally been signed up in October, but in the hopes of raising my score, I postponed. Now I am afraid that I won't even get the 167-168. What's more, I have a very silly mistake haunting me from undergrad days, when I stupidly took the LSAT and didn't cancel, and therefore suffered the consequences of a 149 on my record. I'm a URM (AA), female, graduated 2011 from a top-three Ivy-league school, with a GPA of 3.6 with honors and awards. Lots of travel experience and experience working abroad, four foreign languages. I really want to get into a top five program. Actually, I really want H or Y.

Right now, I feel like my options are:

a) Take the test on Saturday and take my chances... and suffer the possible consequences of either a cancel on the record or a 149/165 or whatever/???
b) Opt to go do a one-year masters that I deferred admission to last year and reapply next cycle (for 2014/15), which would mean (more) debt but which I feel would certainly put me over the top in terms of getting into Harvard at least

What do you guys think? Be gentle please, but be honest :)

Thank you so much.

The masters makes no sense at this point. It will cost you more and won't put you over the top for Harvard or Yale. Your LSAT will. Scratch off that option completely.

Focus all your energy on scoring in the 170s. Given your outlier on a recent test, I say go with option 3 or find another job that you don't hate while working towards a higher LSAT.

But before you make any rash decision, see where you score on PT67.

PickledPanda

Postby PickledPanda » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:04 pm

Wormfather wrote:
elorica8 wrote:Yes, you are right. I feel like sometimes I let the restlessness get to me and that's no good for making rational decisions. Also, since I'm still so junior, that paychecks bit isn't even really there yet :)

Wait a second. You're a junior? Pft...see you in June. Do light studying for the rest of the academic year, then in may go full throttle and crush it in june.

DO not take this administration. You can do better than 165 and you have the time. Focus on lifting that GPA. If you get you're ivy GPA north of 3.8, then you'll lock up HYS with 165+.

LOL, junior. :wink:

scottyc66

Postby scottyc66 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:06 pm

Said so junior, not a junior. I'm thinking it means low on the company totem pole, not in school, could be wrong though

elorica8

Postby elorica8 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:20 pm

Wormfather wrote:
elorica8 wrote:Yes, you are right. I feel like sometimes I let the restlessness get to me and that's no good for making rational decisions. Also, since I'm still so junior, that paychecks bit isn't even really there yet :)

One other thing...the test is Saturday. Since you're going to take our advice [nodding my head up and down as I say this], dont just not show up. Cancel through LSAC.

I meant Saturday! :)
The advice seems to be to take it and see what happens, which I will do.

elorica8

Postby elorica8 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:21 pm

scottyc66 wrote:Said so junior, not a junior. I'm thinking it means low on the company totem pole, not in school, could be wrong though

Yes, SOOOO junior. Unfortunately not a junior. I like the advice to raise my GPA, though. Should have discovered this forum a bit earlier.

alex.feuerman

Postby alex.feuerman » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:34 pm

elorica8 wrote:
alex.feuerman wrote:c) Work for another year in my soul-crushing corporate job, which means no Masters but no added debt, but the lurking feeling that schools will look down on that and also that, given the generosity of the top schools FinAid and loan repayment plans, it's not really saving me that much money

Haha Alex, where do you work? Maybe we're colleagues.

haha can't say. after creating my account realized it was prob stupid to use my real name....but am not planning to say anything damning or offend anyone so I should be fine

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:05 pm

OP, my AA female friend got into Harvard and most of tbe T-14 (not sure about Yale and Stanford) with a 3.5ish and 164ish directly from undergrad. In fact, she got a MBA from Harvard too. She attended a Top 50 school. If I was in your shoes, I would take the test in February and apply late. You and maybe me (might do the same) would probably get away with it, because of how URM apps are reviewed at elite schools (either auto admit due to high numbers right away or hold all of the rest of the minority apps until the end and start making a lot of decisions in February and March). Another thing to think about. You only got the three shots at the LSAT in 2 years rule. I would be real, real careful about when I take the second test. I have a cancel on my record right now, so my own advice applies to me as well. Ironically, my GPA is almost identical to yours and I have the same goal (H, the first "C" or S). Since your goal is a super elite school (YHS), I don't think on TLS there is a strong consensus that taking the LSAT 3 or even 4 times is looked at in very favorable terms (even if you crack a good score on one of those tries).

elorica8

Postby elorica8 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:47 pm

Thank you for your thoughts here. I'm also nervous about having to retake a third time. The 149 was taken in Oct 2010, however, so I have cleared the two year mark. Still not a good idea to have a third go, however.

Do you think February is really doable? Especially since we wouldn't have the results until the end of the month... The deadlines will have passed by then.

Your friend's news is encouraging!

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:58 pm

elorica8 wrote:Thank you for your thoughts here. I'm also nervous about having to retake a third time. The 149 was taken in Oct 2010, however, so I have cleared the two year mark. Still not a good idea to have a third go, however.

Do you think February is really doable? Especially since we wouldn't have the results until the end of the month... The deadlines will have passed by then.

Your friend's news is encouraging!

Like you, I have such ridiculuous standards for myself. If you are YHSC or bust, you could apply to those schools in February before taking the test, so they can begin processing your application and just be waiting for your score. Since my ultimate goal is politics and YHSC opens a lot of potential doors, I might do the same. I want to get such a good score that I do not want to bother even applying to the rest of T-14. I frankly do not care for most of them. They are awesome schools, but they will not provide the type of boost to a political career as the Top 4. If I have to do 1000 hours of LSAT prep, I will do it. I am one test away from some of the most elite law schools in this world and you are too.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”