Hearing Aids and the LSAT?

User avatar
hallbd16
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:40 pm

Hearing Aids and the LSAT?

Postby hallbd16 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:23 am

Specific question, advice needed as LSAT didn't reply...

I have a moderate hearing loss, can (or should) I wear my hearing aids to the testing center. Ideally, I would turn them on for the directions then turn them off for the exam so that I do not pick up background noise that hearing aids pick up in silent rooms. Of course there is a no policy for electronics in the testing site and hearing aids are battery operated. It says no listening devices... I think this means iPods, MP3 players, etc., but perhaps it includes hearing aids.

Thoughts?

S-La
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:32 am

Re: Hearing Aids and the LSAT?

Postby S-La » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:30 am

Call LSAC (215.968.1001) and ask them but there should be no reason why you can't use a hearing aid.

rebexness
Posts: 4163
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 am

Re: Hearing Aids and the LSAT?

Postby rebexness » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:59 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
gguuueessttt
Posts: 473
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:18 pm

Re: Hearing Aids and the LSAT?

Postby gguuueessttt » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:03 pm

rebexness wrote:
S-La wrote:Call LSAC (215.968.1001) and ask them but there should be no reason why you can't use a hearing aid.


This, but at the same time....dang unfair.


wait what's unfair?

rebexness
Posts: 4163
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 am

Re: Hearing Aids and the LSAT?

Postby rebexness » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:04 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
gguuueessttt
Posts: 473
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:18 pm

Re: Hearing Aids and the LSAT?

Postby gguuueessttt » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:05 pm

rebexness wrote:
gguuueessttt wrote:
rebexness wrote:
S-La wrote:Call LSAC (215.968.1001) and ask them but there should be no reason why you can't use a hearing aid.


This, but at the same time....dang unfair.


wait what's unfair?


That he/she can block out white noise with Hearing Aids but we can't wear earplugs.

Dumbest LSAC rule ever.


oh gotcha. Well tbf if he/she really wouldn't be able to hear the proctor otherwise, there's not much of a fairer solution. (other than letting everyone wear ear plugs if that's what you're getting at)

rebexness
Posts: 4163
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 am

Re: Hearing Aids and the LSAT?

Postby rebexness » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:06 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
gguuueessttt
Posts: 473
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:18 pm

Re: Hearing Aids and the LSAT?

Postby gguuueessttt » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:08 pm

rebexness wrote:
gguuueessttt wrote:
oh gotcha. Well tbf if he/she really wouldn't be able to hear the proctor otherwise, there's not much of a fairer solution. (other than letting everyone wear ear plugs if that's what you're getting at)


Yeah- I absolutely think hearing aids should be allowed. So should earplugs.


Yeah I agree with you.

User avatar
ColoBoul
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:08 pm

Re: Hearing Aids and the LSAT?

Postby ColoBoul » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:15 pm

rebexness wrote:
S-La wrote:Call LSAC (215.968.1001) and ask them but there should be no reason why you can't use a hearing aid.


This, but at the same time....dang unfair.


Are you actually arguing that it is unfair to have PERMANENT hearing loss because it might give you a so called "advantage" on a test? Maybe you could switch with them, I'm sure they wouldn't be too upset.

rebexness
Posts: 4163
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 am

Re: Hearing Aids and the LSAT?

Postby rebexness » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:16 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ColoBoul
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:08 pm

Re: Hearing Aids and the LSAT?

Postby ColoBoul » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:24 pm

rebexness wrote:
ColoBoul wrote:
rebexness wrote:
S-La wrote:Call LSAC (215.968.1001) and ask them but there should be no reason why you can't use a hearing aid.


This, but at the same time....dang unfair.


Are you actually arguing that it is unfair to have PERMANENT hearing loss because it might give you a so called "advantage" on a test? Maybe you could switch with them, I'm sure they wouldn't be too upset.


Read the rest of the posts, noob.


I was contesting your reasoning. The poster has permanent hearing loss, you are arguing for earplugs...... There are some albeit weak reasons for not allowing ear plugs, but if you can't perform to your abilities without them there in lies the problem. It's the same for everyone.... I was just saying would you rather have your hearing or be able to use ear plugs on a test?

User avatar
PickledPanda
Posts: 292
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:43 pm

Re: Hearing Aids and the LSAT?

Postby PickledPanda » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:27 pm

ColoBoul wrote:I was contesting your reasoning. The poster has permanent hearing loss, you are arguing for earplugs...... There are some albeit weak reasons for not allowing ear plugs, but if you can't perform to your abilities without them there in lies the problem. It's the same for everyone.... I was just saying would you rather have your hearing or be able to use ear plugs on a test?


Your "or" assumes a dichotomous relationship which does not exist. As your LSAT preparation has surely taught you, or can include both options. The rest of your argument is fucked too, but I can't fix that in one post.

rebexness
Posts: 4163
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 am

Re: Hearing Aids and the LSAT?

Postby rebexness » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:31 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
hallbd16
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:40 pm

Re: Hearing Aids and the LSAT?

Postby hallbd16 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:42 pm

Thanks for the advice, especially the phone number. I am gonna give them a call.

klipsch3212
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: Hearing Aids and the LSAT?

Postby klipsch3212 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:56 pm

PickledPanda wrote:
ColoBoul wrote:I was contesting your reasoning. The poster has permanent hearing loss, you are arguing for earplugs...... There are some albeit weak reasons for not allowing ear plugs, but if you can't perform to your abilities without them there in lies the problem. It's the same for everyone.... I was just saying would you rather have your hearing or be able to use ear plugs on a test?


Your "or" assumes a dichotomous relationship which does not exist. As your LSAT preparation has surely taught you, or can include both options. The rest of your argument is fucked too, but I can't fix that in one post.



LOL. +1

I take all my practice tests with earplugs because people talk loudly in my school library. I think perhaps a reason lsac banned them is they interfered with the proctor instructions or at least test takers pretended they did.. To grab a few extra seconds.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests