Are we due for another killer LG? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
gettingerdone

New

Re: Are we due for another killer LG?

Post by gettingerdone » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:34 pm

Wormfather wrote:No, what we're really due for is an in/out and ordering combo.

Or a cake like game

Or a game that uses numbers in multiple ways like a code breaking game.
What's a cake game?

desiballa21

Bronze

Post by desiballa21 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:35 pm

Or a cake like game

In/out ordering game? What's an example of that? Or code game?

chadbrochill

Bronze

Post by chadbrochill » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:37 pm

desiballa21 wrote:

Or a cake like game

The Shigeru golf/tennis game (PT25 Game 3), A more recent/realistic kind would be the runner game in PT61 Game 3

Code game is June 07 Game 1

I hate that I know all this.
Last edited by chadbrochill on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

desiballa21

Bronze

Post by desiballa21 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:40 pm

chadbrochill wrote:
desiballa21 wrote:

Or a cake like game

The Shigeru golf/tennis game (PT25 Game 3)

Code game is June 07 Game 1

I hate that I know all this.

Aaah.. but the golf one is like the only I remember ever? I think definitely a binary game and an ordering game w/ tougher rules than October's

desiballa21

Bronze

Post by desiballa21 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:46 pm

Wormfather wrote:
desiballa21 wrote:

Or a cake like game

A cake game (PT54) is straight forward, but instead of mentally going across like a strip mall or a race, you build a cake up.

Code breaking can be seen in 51.5 numbers used are 0,1,2,3,4 and they go in order from 1-5.

In/Out ordering can be seen in PT10. Basically 10, elements, 5 are in and ordered.
Oooh. I still use the same set-up going across for the build-up type games.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Spartan_Alum_12

Bronze

Post by Spartan_Alum_12 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:18 pm

desiballa21 wrote:I think what we're due for are some rule substitution Qs
Automatic skip and leave for last...

boblawlob

Silver

Post by boblawlob » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:01 am

which PT is zephyr from?

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:36 am

boblawlob wrote:which PT is zephyr from?
PT 40 Game 3.

mcs268

Bronze

Post by mcs268 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:04 am

I want an in/out game so bad!!! Those are my best, and there hasn't been one in at least the last 3 test administrations, i really think we are overdue.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:16 am

For some reason I always liked the cake game. It was one of my first games I ever learned.

Yaaaas2013

Bronze

Post by Yaaaas2013 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:41 pm

CyanIdes Of March wrote:
PT 40 Game 3.
Anyone know of any games like the Zephyr airlines? Ive been looking for some similar, but with no luck. Doing last minute drilling of In/Out games and Complex ordering.

bitsy

Bronze

Post by bitsy » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:37 pm

Yaaaas2013 wrote:
CyanIdes Of March wrote:
PT 40 Game 3.
Anyone know of any games like the Zephyr airlines? Ive been looking for some similar, but with no luck. Doing last minute drilling of In/Out games and Complex ordering.
mapping games are found in the older PTs, LGB has a chapter on them and 5 listed in the appendix

SumStalwart

Bronze

Post by SumStalwart » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:08 pm

I liked the cake game...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CatFacts

New

Post by CatFacts » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:10 pm

SumStalwart wrote:I liked the cake game...
Me, too...maybe because Manhattan LSAT presented the frames so well for it. I ended up liking all the games that MLSAT used as examples in their book.

I missed half of the questions on Zones though and it was my third time taking the test so my retakes are exhausted. :x

GGforLSAT

New

Post by GGforLSAT » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:26 am

I did Zones earlier today. It was unusually difficult to read through and took time to make sure I wrote all the rules down correctly, but after that many of the questions were just application of the rules. It is definitely one of the games I can't finish within 8:45, but by making sure I didn't get flustered by this tongue twisting rule set, I was able to finish the section with a few minutes to spare.

I did Zephyr today as well (as an experimental section), and that one kicked my ass. I think I had a good diagram, but the rules were just awkward to write and remember.

I'm sure you guys have heard this several times, but if you can usually finish a games section in 35 minutes and run into a game that takes longer than usual, don't fret too much. Chances are the remaining games won't be too bad. Just pace yourself, make sure you have your rules right, and do as you normally do.

boblawlob

Silver

Post by boblawlob » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:27 am

Just did the Zephyr game for the 4th time or whatever (last time was probably months ago).

The game itself isn't hard at all, it's just slightly time consuming, although not as difficult as Zones/Subzones.

The good thing about that particular LG section is that 2 of the games are ordering games, so that should give one 20 minutes for the zephyr game AND the in/out 4th game.

The thing with PT 67 games is that there is a 2 layer grouping game, simple ordering game, grouping/ordering hybrid, and ZONES. So it's a fairly balanced section where you get only enough time for each game and zones you need around 9 minutes to get through it all (sort of).

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:26 am

M458 wrote:
CyanIdes Of March wrote:Zephyr Airlines is considered a hard game? Not trying to humble brag, just thought that game was pretty straight forward.
The nerves on test day can seriously muck up your perception of what is an easy vs. hard game. I took the test in October, and had no issues with zones, but got KILLED by the 1st game (why the hell would a History major give a lecture on Friendship?!). It all really depends on what types of games you're strong in and whether you can keep a level-head on test day to read the rules and not panic when something that might *seem* out of the ordinary is thrown at you.
Yep. I thought this was a brutally hard games section because I got hung up on less than stellar word choice selection on their part for some of them. When I looked at the section again fresh and *gasp* actually diagrammed them instead of freaking out about the word choices, they weren't super hard at all. And I'm not a LG guru whatsoever.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

willwash

Bronze

Post by willwash » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:52 am

Am I the only one who thought Alphabet Soup was a ridiculously hard game?

kckool7

Bronze

Post by kckool7 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:21 am

Guys, just treat rule change questions like "could be false". If it could be false, then it's the wrong answer. Works for me.

M458

Bronze

Post by M458 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:59 am

Wormfather wrote:
kckool7 wrote:Guys, just treat rule change questions like "could be false". If it could be false, then it's the wrong answer. Works for me.
Explain.
Try out the answer choice in a hypothetical--if it results in a situation that violates another existing rule, you will know for certain that that can't be the correct answer.

kckool7

Bronze

Post by kckool7 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:09 pm

M458 wrote:
Wormfather wrote:
kckool7 wrote:Guys, just treat rule change questions like "could be false". If it could be false, then it's the wrong answer. Works for me.
Explain.
Try out the answer choice in a hypothetical--if it results in a situation that violates another existing rule, you will know for certain that that can't be the correct answer.
Exactly. If the answer choice COULD BE FALSE, then it can't possibly be an adequate substitution for the rule. This will be the case for all of the wrong answers. Give it a shot on a couple of games and you'll see.

EDIT: Alternatively, just look at it as a Must Be True question in disguise if that's more familiar for you.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:22 pm

M458 wrote:
Wormfather wrote:
Explain.
Hmmm sounds like it would work.

Wouldn't that depend on the type of question/rule swap? If the rules change question merely swaps one rule for another different rule and then asks you what could be true, then this method might not work. For example, if the original rule was A goes in slot 1 and B goes in slot 3, but the rules are changed so that B goes in slot 2 with no answer choices forcing B into another slot, you'd have been better off just approaching the question with a fresh diagram than looking for rules violations, right?

M458

Bronze

Post by M458 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:45 pm

RCinDNA wrote:
M458 wrote:
Wormfather wrote:
Explain.
Hmmm sounds like it would work.

Wouldn't that depend on the type of question/rule swap? If the rules change question merely swaps one rule for another different rule and then asks you what could be true, then this method might not work. For example, if the original rule was A goes in slot 1 and B goes in slot 3, but the rules are changed so that B goes in slot 2 with no answer choices forcing B into another slot, you'd have been better off just approaching the question with a fresh diagram than looking for rules violations, right?
I think you're thinking of questions along the lines of "If the rule that Franco has to go before Gilliam is substituted with the rule that Franco has to go after Gilliam, which of the following could be true?" Answer choices here would be along the lines of Franco has to go 4th, Gilliam has to go 7th, etc. In this case you're absolutely correct; better to quickly redraw the diagram for that specific question.

The question type kckool and I am referring to are the ones that say "Which of the following rules would result in the same set-ups/outcomes if it was substituted for the rule that Franco has to go before Gilliam?" Answer choices here would be along the lines of "Franco must go before Ichabod", "Franco must occupy one of the first 3 slots", etc.

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:59 pm

The question type kckool and I am referring to are the ones that say "Which of the following rules would result in the same set-ups/outcomes if it was substituted for the rule that Franco has to go before Gilliam?" Answer choices here would be along the lines of "Franco must go before Ichabod", "Franco must occupy one of the first 3 slots", etc.
OK. I thought that was what you meant. Thanks for explaining and it makes sense.

dec12

New

Post by dec12 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:58 pm

what's all this crap about 'zones'? is it a type of game or a specific game? should i care about zones? is it likely to show up on tomorrow's test?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”